• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• WE CREATE LONG TERM, MEANINGFUL RELATIONSHIPS IN HERE ... PLEASE JOIN US.

You know what we all love...

RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE
    When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
westrush

Portable Yukon

Question

westrush

So I would like too Know if anyone has a better way to get there fish shack into there truck I have a hard time liftin it into the back of the truck I lift one end up then left the other end in but it just a little short and fall off sometimes so I have to lift it up again . Must be a better way to get back into my truck .And it is empty when I do this

12 answers to this question

tview

I use a set of atv ramps and slide up then use the tow rope to lift and slide

Esox_Magnum

Yukons are a heavy shack, I run a 3 man Eskimo and have no trouble putting mine in my truck even fully loaded with gear and 20# propane tank...Couple 2x8's maybe to make a ramp?

Jmeyers

I lift one end up then left the other end in but it just a little short and fall off sometimes so I have to lift it up again .

I have the same portable and do this same thing. I hate when it slides off the back and you have to pick it up all over again. I've thought about tieing on an extension rope and wedging it between the seats just so it wont fall when I get to the back and lift it up. I've also put the drag rope around a seat head and kept it up that way but I wouldn't recommend it, it's a heavy portable and may damage the head...let me know if you find a better way

TurnUpTheFishing

A board/ramp.

hydro

I have a frame for my rig. It's 8' long to just fit inside the truck box, made of 2 X 4 stringers and ends, and has two cross beams that the house fits between. I set it on the ground, put the house between the crossbars and lift one end onto the gate, then pick up the other end and slide it onto the truck. Unloading is reverse. Because of the 8' length of the frame, lifting/unloading is very easy and I don't have the house contents falling all over the place.

westrush

All that framing sounds heaver then the shack I think the ramp might be the best way Or find a lighter shack Not 20 anymore

MattL

I like Hydro's suggestion. The leverage you would gain with the 8' 2x's would offset the little added weight. It won't work as well with a 6'-6" box truck unless you strap it down or tip it over the tailgate.

I have a Yukon and it is a bear to load by myself. I tip it on its back side and grab ahold under the seats and lift it sideways. This way I am able to lift with my legs instead of tipping it on end and bending so far down lifting with my back.

SFC

I load mine with 1 2x4x8. Place in the middle of sled slides up easily.

snapjigger

I have the same shack. I am rigging up a boat trailer winch to the inside of the tailgate and rigging up a simple pully or even a ring to the front of the box. Run a rope through the pully and just hook up to the pull rope on the house. A couple boards for a ramp and just crank it up. I can lift it by hand but that's getting old. Doesn't help with icy footing.

Bigbartguy

I lift one end up then left the other end in but it just a little short and fall off sometimes so I have to lift it up again .

alright I'm glad that I'm not the only one. I have the Yukon also and usually do the same thinkg. Then try to lift the back end AND PUSH to get it in there before the whole thing slides back at me.

will the 2x4 really work? wont the sled fall off?

SFC

The 2x4 fits perfectly in the middle slot of the sled, I lift it onto the 2x4 about halfway - half on the board half on the ground slide it up, works great. Dont straddle board it pops up. laugh

Bigbartguy

thanks SFC! I'm anxious to give it a whirl!