• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• WE CREATE LONG TERM, MEANINGFUL RELATIONSHIPS IN HERE ... PLEASE JOIN US.

You know what we all love...

RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE
    When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
lient

Pet Containment

lient

I have two dogscard a 3 1/2 yr old black lab and a puggle (wife had to have one). I just recently moved into a new house on 2 acres and am havin trouble keeping the dogs in the yard. In our previous house the dogs would stick around no problem, but now they are wandering all over. Just wondering if there are any suggestions to keep them in the yard, I can tie them up, but they always want to play with eachother and just get tangled. I have thought about invisible fence, but the I havnt seen a collar small enough for the puggle (she is only 15 lbs). Any suggestions, and do you think they will stick around aftr we have settled in, we have only been here for a week.

Thanks

meathunter

go with sportdog underground you can lay the wire out until the ground unthaws i think they have a small collar for your pug u buy it as a add on to the original system mine works excellent beware of the cheaper brands after awhile they wont even need the collar they will put the brakes on at the line

lient

I live on the north shore in lutsen and the ground is pretty rocky, will I have an issue burying the wire?

deerminator

How far do you want them to be able to go? We have one of the wireless systems from petsafe and it allows them to stay in our immediate yard with no problem. I forget how far they can go but I think it's 90 feet in each direction. Basically, you plug an apparatus into the wall and it sends out a radio signal 90 feet in each direction or a big circle from wherever you have it. You can also adjust the distance to be shorter. It works well for our two high-spirited beagles. It gives them a few warning beeps so they can do a 180 before actually getting shocked. Good luck.

meathunter

i put my wire in about a inch used a big screw driver and made a trench on my knees for a bigger yard use a power edger if you have somewhat of a lawn or yard i dont think rocks will matter no the wireless system looks good too but it is a circle my yard was square and i wanted my dog to roam the whole yard you can keep your pet out of whatever you want with the wire fence you just go around it.

rustysetter

We have the Petsafe wireless and have no regrets, we are on our second dog since we purchased it 10 years ago, they learn real quickly where their boundary is and respect it even with out the collar once they've learned. It took only one time for our English Setter. Our son had one for his Beqagle too.

B-man715

Another vote for the wireless Petsafe system.

It's portability sets it apart from the rest. We use it at home, at the cabin, out camping, and most importantly out on the ice!!

Our 3 beagles would be gone in seconds without it........

Downsides: you can't change the shape, only the radius. And batteries are a little spendy ($3), but you can get creative and replace the two batteries inside the battery pack for about 25 cents.

winniewalleye777

I am looking at getting the wireless system. We currently have the underground system, but the problem we have is that if it breaks (We have a lot of squirrels) you can't find it to splice it.

Can you plug the wireless system into an outlet?

deerminator

Yes but you need batteries for the collars. I get mine at the Farm for $5 for a two pack and they last about 2-3 months. I always have at least 2 extra on hand becuase once they go, so will the beagles as they can figure out pretty quick no more warning beeps means freedom. Fortunately, the collars flash pretty brightly when the batteries start to die.

lient

I am looking at getting the wireless system. We currently have the underground system, but the problem we have is that if it breaks (We have a lot of squirrels) you can't find it to splice it.

Can you plug the wireless system into an outlet?

I seem to remember someone telling me that there is a piece of equipment you can buy at radio shak for less than 10 bucks that you can walk around where your wires are buried and it with an AM radio and it will locate a break. Maybe be something to look into before buying a whole new system. I just googled "locating break in an invisable fence" and it came up with alot of information.

winniewalleye777

Its funny you mention that, we tried it! It actually worked for us, but it was not nearly as easy as they made it seem. This was about 5 years ago at my parents house.

My wife and I just purchased a new home and now have room for a dog. Looking at both options, I am leaning wireless.