• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

technical questions.

I tried the aqua-view in 28' of water and I couldn't see any fish until I put my polarized Babe Winkelman sunglasses on.

Now it's like aqua-view on steroids.

I'm just passing this along because I know everybody is going to want to try it.

I hope it helps somebody out.

• Replies 560
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• northerndave

• Boar

• Twisted

• WhiskeyPete

In regards to your auger, I think you will be just fine if you only drilled 9 holes, if you would have hit double digits that would have been a different story. If you do have problems I think you can touch it up with a hand file. Definately use the one in your tool chest, I used the wife's file out of her manicure set last time and it didn't work out so good. It sharpened the blades fine but she kicked me out of the house and I had to go fishing. Wait, did I say that didn't work out so good?

Thanks for the answers thus far, i've been holding back on hitting the ice until I had those resolved. Unfortunatley it has led to a few more questions but being the informed and helpful guys you are I'm thinking you can help me out.

I've seen you mention the hole pumping thing before and have been quite intrigued but have held back on trying it out. It may be minor but what I am unsure of is, does it matter if you pump the hole right handed or left handed?

I am all over the gummy bear answer but do they have to be frozen or can I use fresh?

I thought Satelite radios were only legal on Border waters if you stayed in three mile bay?

The 135 amp delco alternater recomondation is a good one but I think I solved it already, I just added another battery. If any of you do this be sure to hook them up in series; I wasn't paying attention and hooked them up parallel and blew out the headlights. I'll be drilling in the dark till I get a chance to get them replaced.

talk to you later, I'm off to install the electric handwarmers on my power auger.

Hey guys, which direction are the fishing swimming in the lake so I know what side of the fish house to fish on?

Hey guys, which direction are the fishing swimming in the lake so I know what side of the fish house to fish on?

Always to the left.

Wow we are getting really smart in here now. I like the direction this is going.

Hole pumping (I'll say "HP" cause some folk get riled up about it...)

HP can be done lefty or right handed, the idea is to get the water surging up and down in da hole so it's like your bobber is ridding wave action. This is some serious stealthy bobber stuff, jedi class bobber fishing I tell ya.

Nothing like watching that perfectly sized bobber riding that water surge up and down in the hole and suddenly it either lays on it's side on the down stroke or stays submerged as the water surges up...

Then WHACK! Set that hook! The fish is all "Wut da..? Oh man the ninjas got me!!"

I don't like using frozen gummy bears, they are a bugger to get a hook into when frozen and they are no longer a "gummy" bear, they become a miniature bear figurine. After thousands of years of bears feasting on fish in rivers.... These fish identify a sweet revenge opportunity and the gummy texture at the initial bite insures confidence that they actually can eat a bear.

As far as the satellite radio, it's a little known fact that the Canadian cell tower created the main crack in the lake this year. If you cross over to the north side of the crack your cell phone charges will be through the roof and your radio will only play french rock.

You might want to get yourself a headlamp flashlight until you get the headlights fixed on your auger.

Vexi, the fish I saw through my Babe Winkelman polarized glasses with my aqua-view cam in 28' of water were swimming west.

But they were also swimming backwards so they were facing east.

So I'd fish the east side of the house and hope that their tails don't bump your jigs. If you get bobber wiggle with no bite you'll know what happened.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

I tried the aqua-view in 28' of water and I couldn't see any fish until I put my polarized Babe Winkelman sunglasses on.

Now it's like aqua-view on steroids.

I'm just passing this along because I know everybody is going to want to try it.

I hope it helps somebody out.

What about the D&am Mud Minnows? Did you see any with that contapion? shocked

What about the D&am Mud Minnows? Did you see any with that contapion? shocked

It was really iffy on water clarity without the glasses.

The money I would save on using free mud minnows would be spent on fitting the minnows with tiny polarized glasses so I think it's looking like it's not worth the trouble.

It was really iffy on water clarity without the glasses.

The money I would save on using free mud minnows would be spent on fitting the minnows with tiny polarized glasses so I think it's looking like it's not worth the trouble.

Well finally an answer to the Mud Minnows! Geeeez! laugh

I figured out a way to pull plugs ice fishing.

I think I'm going to drill a hole at the gap and hook a piece of bread onto a jointed rap and throw it down the hole. Open the bail and hope the current takes the bead out a long ways. Then I'll give a jerk to pull the hooks free from the soggy bread and crank it in.

I'm gonna need a lotta bread.

Should I use white or whole wheat? Potato bread?

I figured out a way to pull plugs ice fishing.

I think I'm going to drill a hole at the gap and hook a piece of bread onto a jointed rap and throw it down the hole. Open the bail and hope the current takes the bead out a long ways. Then I'll give a jerk to pull the hooks free from the soggy bread and crank it in.

I'm gonna need a lotta bread.

Should I use white or whole wheat? Potato bread?

Dried French works the best for this.

I have a 135 amp Delco on my auger and it powers everything fine. Be sure to let it charge up a bit after turning down the volume so you have enough juice to light up them glow plugs the next time you fire it up.

I can't believe the amount of information in this one thread. Sticky?????

can you use your glow plugs to light up your glow jigs?

New to the site, and all I can say is wow, very helpful. Twisted and Northern Dave, you guys seem very knowledgeable on ice fishing Lake of the Woods. Hope you can help me out.

Here is my concern, with all the new regulations surrounding minnow transportation. First off I gather that I cannot take minnows off the ice, correct? But if I dump them out on the ice isn't that Wanton Waste and I can be fined? Can I dump them in a hole? Also wondering, is it legal to store fat heads and shiners in the same bucket or do I need to use two seperate buckets? What if the bait store sells me a bag of minnows and there happens to be a stickle back or two mixed in, am I in violation? or is the store liable? Sorry for the dumb questions, but I'm a newb just looking for advice before heading out onto the lake.

You are getting too close to some of my secrets for a public forum! wink

I would never dream of a long wire with a glow plug to heat/light up the water & attract the fish.

The safest bet is to request at the bait shop that your minnows be individually packaged.

I never know what to do with extra minnows either so I keep a close eye on my minnow supply as the day progresses and sometimes I fish with 2 or 3 minnows on the same hook just so I can use them up quicker.

I really like to use them up if I can because I end up eating what ever minnows are left over before I leave the ice.

I've tried honey, ketchup, ranch dressing, bbq sauce, tobasco, maple syrup... pretty much tried it all.

I've settled on horseradish mustard as my fav way to eat left over minnows, it still isn't very good but I think it's the only legal way out of that deal.

I want to rig up an underwater speaker and play recorded dolphin noises 28' below my fish house all weekend long.

Do you guys know if there are any laws about this?

I want to rig up an underwater speaker and play recorded dolphin noises 28' below my fish house all weekend long.

Do you guys know if there are any laws about this?

I believe it is fine but you cannot do it in 4 mile bay.

I believe it is fine but you cannot do it in 4 mile bay.

Well I know that, I did say 28'

Does anybody run a wind turbine on the lake for generating electricity?

I want to fish by gull rock and I thought I'd maybe set the windmill up on the rock to get it up higher and so I could anchor it better.

Do you think that would be OK?

I have to run a power cord though and I'm not sure if I should go underwater with it to my house?

Either way if I go underwater ot put a few REA poles up and string it overhead I want a small sub station where I could branch out and sell power to other houses.

Does anybody own that rock or is that just part of the lake?

Do you think there's a form I need to fill out or something?

If it worked out really good I'd maybe want to buy that rock.

You could also set up a minnow exchange program on the lake to solve the problem of what to do with all of the extras at the end of the day!!!

dave the cor3ect depth for fresh water shrimping, is determined by wether the shrimp is in heat or not, hench the moon phase of the shrimp rut, I use to have a calender that gave me the ideal time to be out shrimpin for freshwater, but it seemes to have been miss placed.

I want to know if You play burbot ball if you can get ticketed for wild life harrasment or desecration of a corps, an do the backstraps have to be taken out befroe the burbit gose in to play.

Thanks for the shrimp tips, they are tiny but delicious.

I have similar questions about constructing the traditional fishing monument known as the "totem pout" made from a dozen or so dead pout.

Twisted, do you want to buy some electricity?

If I lived out there I could actually start a minnow kennel service. You could leave your minnows with me and I'd take care of them until you returned.

Either a minnow exchange program or an Adopt a minnow program, But quite frankly I prefer the big brother big minnow program. Which I am a chapter president elec.

Quite the entrepeneur aren't you ND?

What ever happened to your long handled ice dipper that we used to use for scooping things off the bottom? That would work for shrimpin. No?

So it's a big minnow that you are a brother of? Or is the size of the minnow irrelevant and you are simply a big brother to a minnow without size discrimination at all?

Either way is fine with me, I'm just asking.

Thanks for the minnow tips guys.

Ok next question. I have a 95 Wabash 53' reefer trailer that hasn't been used in years. I am thinking if I can get the reefer engine to run backwards it should pump hot air into the trailer instead of cold. You guys have any experience with this? It is a Carrier reefer unit. I figure it would make a super base camp. I am going to pull it out on the lake on the 14th. How much ice will I need? Should I call ahead or just wing it?

Quite the entrepeneur aren't you ND?

What ever happened to your long handled ice dipper that we used to use for scooping things off the bottom? That would work for shrimpin. No?

DNR confiscated my ice dipper with the 34 foot long handle.

They haven't been able to tell me why and I haven't got a fine yet because they are still writing the law for what I was doing with it.

I'm not supposed to talk about it, they're pretty mad.

Ok next question. I have a 95 Wabash 53' reefer trailer that hasn't been used in years. I am thinking if I can get the reefer engine to run backwards it should pump hot air into the trailer instead of cold. You guys have any experience with this? It is a Carrier reefer unit. I figure it would make a super base camp. I am going to pull it out on the lake on the 14th. How much ice will I need? Should I call ahead or just wing it?

How much ice?

It depends on how many hot air ballons you bring with, I have an axtra, well one good one for sure and one kind of iffy. twisted has a couple I think....

You might want to get in touch with the truck driver down by Monticello. He had the same idea but soon realized that 6" of ice wasn't enough.