• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• WE CREATE LONG TERM, MEANINGFUL RELATIONSHIPS IN HERE ... PLEASE JOIN US.

You know what we all love...

RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE
    When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
lakevet

Northland Airplane jigs

Question

lakevet

Hey guys, any tips on using airplanes for eyes, crappies & perch? How do you jig them, what type of meat do you put on them, etc.Done alot of jigging rap fishing being a finlander but just got into the airplane jigs.

4 answers to this question

fiskyknut

Ahhh, the airplane/flyer type jigs, the past couple winters if I don't have an AE on it's one of these bad boys! Live/frozen/salted shiner hooked thru the mouth and back up behind the head as far as you can get it. Experiment with different jigging motions till you figure out what they want. Hang it still for a bit, drop it to the bottom and let it lay for a bit....the fish will let you know depending on their mood. My biggest winter Wally last year and my biggest so far this year came on one of these. I would'nt go onto LOTW without a selection of these babies. I SWEAR BY THEM!!!! If I had to pick one lure for winter Walleye fishing on LOTW it would probably be one of these, with the AE jr. a close second....very close.

Fisky

lakevet

Fisky

Great info.
Do you use a stinger at all? I tend to tinker with lures, do you clip or bend the wings? Do you try to get em to circle wide or are they good "out of the box"? And how aggressive can you jig them? 1-2 feet up at a time?

Thanks

Lakevet

Scott

Hi Fisky,
What size would you recomend?

Thanks

fiskyknut

1/16, 1/8, and 1/4 ouncers are what I use up here anyways for Wally's. Usually I have the smaller ones going as the sink/circle rate is slower. I also use them Pike fishing occasionally, for this I use the bigger ones with the bucktail on them.

These are great lures on LOTW, jig down near bottom and then when those nice suspended fish come thru high you crank up to the fish, hang it there and they usually smack it.

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• Sunset Lodge
      Hello from Sunset Lodge!

In Minnesota, walleyes and pike have been found using crank-baits on the south side of Oak Island.  Walleye have also been caught pulling spinners in 26-30 feet using gold and green.

In Ontario, walleye have been very active using pink and orange jigs on the breaks of reefs or casting shallow crank-baits in 8-12 feet by rocky shoreline points.  A good mixed bag of smallmouth and pike have been found with the walleye as well.

Musky fishing has really picked up with lots of fish over 40+ inches.  Fishing sand and weedy bays near rock reefs have produced well using buck-tails, small crank-baits and top-water baits. 

Until next week!
      Sunset Lodge
    • ANYFISH2
      Definitely getting ready for archery season!
    • Borch
      A group of us are planning on getting together on Lake Osakis for the day on 8/18/18 for a day of fishing and a midday picnic at the Battle Point Park.  We would enjoy connecting with some fellow anglers from the site to connect and have some fun.  Osakis is a great lake for big gills, slab crappies, nice walleye, pike, smallmouth and largemouth bass.  The best walleye bite has been during low light periods.  Sunfish and crappie bite all day.  We plan on taking a break around noon at the Battle Point Park for lunch.  Right now tentatively looking to connect around 8-9 at the access.  Otherwise look for a red and white Warrior and connect with me, "Borch" on the water I'd you'd like.   I might even have a fishing report really fresh fishing report for you. 
    • Mike89
      I'd try to catch ya at lunch for a bit, if not doing something else...
    • FishingWebGuy
      Am I the only one? Less than two months 'till archery opener. 
    • Borch
      A group of us are planning on getting together on Lake Osakis for the day on 8/18/18 for a day of fishing and a midday picnic at the Battle Point Park.  We would enjoy connecting with some fellow anglers from the site to connect and have some fun.  Osakis is a great lake for big gills, slab crappies, nice walleye, pike, smallmouth and largemouth bass.  The best walleye bite has been during low light periods.  Sunfish and crappie bite all day.  We plan on taking a break around noon at the Battle Point Park for lunch.  Right now tentatively looking to connect around 8-9 at the access.  Otherwise look for a red and white Warrior and connect with me, "Borch" on the water I'd you'd like.   I might even have a fishing report really fresh fishing report for you. 
    • Borch
      A group of us are planning on getting together on Lake Osakis for the day on 8/18/18 for a day of fishing and a midday picnic at the Battle Point Park.  We would enjoy connecting with some fellow anglers from the site to connect and have some fun.  Osakis is a great lake for big gills, slab crappies, nice walleye, pike, smallmouth and largemouth bass.  The best walleye bite has been during low light periods.  Sunfish and crappie bite all day.  We plan on taking a break around noon at the Battle Point Park for lunch.  Right now tentatively looking to connect around 8-9 at the access.  Otherwise look for a red and white Warrior and connect with me, "Borch" on the water I'd you'd like.   I might even have a fishing report really fresh fishing report for you. 😃
    • ifishwalleye
      I bought a used boat and I had the dealer install my Lowrance HDS on the dash. There was already two Lowrance units that came with the Boat. One mounted in the bow and the other in the dash. So when the dealer installed my HDS, the networked it to the older unit from the dash. My sonar on the HDS would only work if the dash unit was on. I really don’t know the advantages of doing this?  Anyways, this past weekend I landed the boat and the dash unit wouldn’t power up. I checked and I did have power going to the unit. Hence no sonar. I had to go old school and caught 10 eyes! Lol so my question is how do I bypass the network so I can just run the HDS? Thanks!
    • BobT
      Have you tried cleaning it? I have found more often than not when someone tells me their foot pedal isn't working right, I can take it apart, clean it up, lubricate it, and everything works again. If you try this, avoid grease or oil because dirt collects. I used WD-40 and it seemed to work well.
    • BobT
      Alexandria Appliance in Alexandria, MN is a Minn Kota parts outlet. Yeah, I was caught off guard about that too. Could check them out.  Address: 222 6th Ave E, Alexandria, MN 56308 Phone: (320) 763-6583