• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Anyone been out on Forest Lake? Just wondering what the ice thickness is, any info on 1, 2, or 3 would be helpful, thanks.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tunrevir

• Fuzzbient

• DRH1175

• fishing tech

The ice is in pretty decent shape and I'm starting to see wheelers towing wheelhouses out. Six to seven inches in most spots now. All three basins are locked up and folks are fishing them.

Tunrevir~

I went out of willow point today with a wheeler. I went left to the 22ft hole. drilled some holes. 1 spot was 3 inches. I turned around and went the other way.

I went out of willow point today with a wheeler. I went left to the 22ft hole. drilled some holes. 1 spot was 3 inches. I turned around and went the other way.

eekeek Did you change your undies when you got back too the truck?

Geez, three inches huh? My mind can't take less than 5 inches, I just can't enjoy fishing, I've tried. I'm sure most of the ice is 6"+, but I'll just wait a little longer, we're getting a cold snap starting sunday...

I haven't run into anything less then 5 where I have been fishing out there but the ice does vary from spot to spot. Third lake tends to have some thin spots due to springs but those tend to be more on the southeast side. On a brighter note, the fishing has been good for the last few weeks. Walleyes are hitting in 8-16' and taking both jigging spoons and small shiners. Pike are active in the shallow weeds with the narrows areas producing fish on a regular basis on large shiners and suckers under tipups. Crappies can be found on the deeper weedlines and out over the deeper basin areas but as usual you will have to sort a ton to get a few for the bucket. Clear lake has been producing a few better crappies and I have gotten a few decent reports of walleyes in the 14-18 inch range being caught near the hump and towardws the SE shoreline. Good luck out there!

Tunrevir~

We were out on Saturday (12/31) just south of Willow Point and were on 6-8" everywhere we drilled. Several perms out and everyone had a wheeler.

Aside from several tiny perch, caught an 11" crappie and a small pike. Hopefully the bite is better next weekend.

Does Forest have any consistant wally bite after sun goes down? Due to workin the 9-5 most of my fishing is after dark. Despite being last off of many local lakes I have not found many spots that produce more than a couple of fish on a good night. I guess just knowing guys are catchin em during those times helps the mental battle when fishing is slow.

I have had some success in years past with some walleyes out on Flake. I won't say it is a hot bite but you probably won't find a hot bite anywhere around the metro in my opinion.

BTW my opinion of a hot bite is getting a limit of fish in a couple of hours.

Most of the time it's 2-3 a night.

I haven't been out there this year yet though so I can't say.

I would say look around the weed edges. My best luck was from 15-18 ft.

I'd say your primay bite window is sunrise and sunset and 1/2 hour either side with a fish here and there throughout the evening depending on the depth and activity in the area. ECC was pretty spot on with his assessment. 2-3 is a good night on Flake, 4-6 is phenomenal. So far this year in the areas I have fished I have caught fish as early as 4 and as late as 730 but haven't ever stayed out much past 730. If your in a decent area they can bite at anytime day or night. I used to spend Christmas vacations camped in my shack for basically a week and would get 2-3 fish a night between 10 and 4 am with another flurry at sunrise/sundown each day. My biggest walleyes on Flake have come in 6-8' in the weeds at night between sunset and midnight, my best numbers have come from sand to mud transitions or deepr weedlines in 15-28' of water with sunup and sundown being best. There seems to be about a 1-2 hour transiton period after the sun sets when there isn't much activity. This isn't always the rule but just something I have noticed.

Tunrevir~

Hows the ice of Flake? I could drive 5 mins and check...but a bit lazy. With it being so warm, it it soup again?

Son and I would like to get out tomorrow.

Hows the ice of Flake? I could drive 5 mins and check...but a bit lazy. With it being so warm, it it soup again?

I was out in basin 3 Today and found varying ice between 7 and 9 inches. There are likely some areas that are still pretty thin especially with the warm weather moving in. I did see some people pulling the bigger shacks off Today.

Just a hint, the fish appear to be in much shallower than usual for this time of year.

We were out tonight between 2 and 3 (on the 3 side) with tip ups and jig lines set up between 6-11 feet. Ice was was as said previously, 7-9 inches and pretty solid. More than expected actually.

No flags, unfortunately, and a lot of small perch where we were jigging toward 9-10 feet.

I pulled two shacks out of water holes this morning. The blue shack I pulled out was pretty hairy! Someone drilled some holes by the shacks and the water had pooled up and eroded the ice. I thought it was just water on top of the ice.

They guys had like 15 foot metal poles and the poles went in the water and hit NO ice!! To that gentlemen that gave me cash for pulling his shack out....it wasn't needed but thanks again!

There is also an open spot like 50 yards off willow point where a wheeler went in yesterday. Be carefull around that area.

I pulled two shacks out of water holes this morning. The blue shack I pulled out was pretty hairy! Someone drilled some holes by the shacks and the water had pooled up and eroded the ice. I thought it was just water on top of the ice.

They guys had like 15 foot metal poles and the poles went in the water and hit NO ice!! To that gentlemen that gave me cash for pulling his shack out....it wasn't needed but thanks again!

So that's what the poles were about that we saw you guys using. That's pretty scary to see how quickly ice erodes from surface water draining through holes. Glad you guys got the shacks safely to shore!

Great job with the assist on the ice house retrieval crappiefisher! It is amazing just how fast the ice wears thin in an area and with the 40's forecast again this week it may be a wise move to move any permys off the spot they have been on and over to thicker ice. Boy it was sure making ice in the am yesterday morning. Lots of popping and cracking going on before sunrise. I tried out a new spot and caught a few small crappies, some small perch, a pike and a tiny little walleye. Fished from 430 am till 9. I can mark that spot off the list:)

Tunrevir~

So that's what the poles were about that we saw you guys using. That's pretty scary to see how quickly ice erodes from surface water draining through holes. Glad you guys got the shacks safely to shore!

I fished last evening thinking the front that was predicted would turn the fish on. It did for about a 45 minute span and we managed 4 walleyes, 1 lost walleye and a couple pike between 430 and dark between 2 guys. After dark, I had a ton of crappies swirling around on the vex but could only put a few on ice. The perch didn't peck at my shiners like they usually do during the early evening but the small pike were on a tear. Caught the last walleye of the evening on a fathead under a bobber at 745 as we pulled up to go in. Would like to have stayed a bit longer but that was it. It was pretty quiet where I was at from about 515 on other then the crappies. Beautiful day to be on the ice. I'd caution folks thinking to drive out, as most of the ice I was on was only 6-8 inches. It looked like we lost a bit, and of that, there was only a good 6 that was good clear ice. The cold temps should help to rebuild the icepack but I'm not sure that driving will be an option for another 2 weeks or more depending on the cold that we get.

Tunrevir~

Heading up this weekend from Mankato Mn to do some fishing with my brother who doesn't get out at all. Was thinking of hitting up 3. Any advice? I'm happy with catching ANYTHING as I just want to make sure we catch something. Also What are ice conditions like? Walking. Wheelers.?

tunrevir,

How deep were you fishing. Am gonna go tomorrow havn't been out yet on FL. You think the cold will push them deep or still shallow. Thanks

The cold may change things a bit, but if you hang tight to the deeper weedlines and downsize your baits you should be fine. I typically fish in 15'-17' on or near a hard breakline or saddle but the deeper holes may produce as well. I regularly catch fish in 22-28' but tend to shy away from alot of those areas due to traffic which is not the case this year:) If I was going to fish in the next couple days, I'd concentrate on the deeper weedlines or first hard break to deeper water and downsize my offerings(think panfish sized spoons and a minnow head). Fatheads versus shiners would be the ticket and even crappie minnows on a lighter rig. Wheeler travel is okay right now but you have to know where your travelling, with the colder weather the ice should firm up quite a bit. General ice thickness is in the 7-8 inch range right now out there.

Tunrevir~

I'd say that in general I look for a bottom change in about 15' as that is where the weeds typically die off in this lake. The bottom change goes along with a shallow sandy flat and deeper water nearby so you are looking for a saddle or where a point of deepr water meets a point of shallower water. That being said, there are fish that are roaimng the edges of the deeper basins as well and they can be a bit more willing to bite with weather changes. Some of the humps and bumps out in the lake with nearby deep water will produce all winter long and then there won't be as much pressure to deal with. Plenty of spots that see little to no pressure al winter except an occassional shack here and ther and most leave before the walleye start to bite because all they are catching is small perch.

Tunrevir~

Be careful heard from a buddy that a wheel house went through on forest lake last night, not sure where.

There have been a few shacks this year that have taken the plunge. I saw one yesterday that was partially submerged but there were 2 other shacks nearby in fine shape.

Tunrevir~

There is a small wheel house out in the middle of 1st that is floating on its side. It's not going to be fun getting that one out! I was told it has been there for a couple of days by a friend who lives on the lake. I could see it from north shore.

My buddy sent me a picture of a Black wheelhouse that is floating on its side. Must be the one everybody is talking about. Just crazy we still have houses falling through in mid january.