• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Upper Red Lake Fishing Reports by Portavilla

Portavilla

Looks like he looking for a report... Asked Jonny for one also.

Good Luck!

Ken

I thought maybe so but wasn't sure since he missed the ? at the end. I was wondering if there was something more to the post than meets the eye. We have a house rented from them this weekend.

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Portavilla

• cookie129

• Iambjm

• Reedo7

SLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW. Fishing since 530pm last night, only two small perch this am. House next to us has been fishing since friday afternoon, with also no fish. But at least the portavilla staff is very attentive, helpful and freindly.

Yes Ive heard the south end has slowed considerably, except for the shallow water bite, which is pretty limited to a few hours in the eve and after dark. I heard that JR's road is doing rather well. the northern end of their road has been decent, not outstanding but consitant anyhow.

Well I think a couple of you guys forgot a couple of OOOs but close enough. The big ridge has kept us hugging trees making it a drag at times but we haven't given it up and turned to spending the day story telling with you all. I do appreciate all the guys that have ran around with the portables and have found that we have put the houses in about as good as it gets locations. We have not also moved the houses in shallow however they are getting more in the shallows. Every time we have done that the noise and light pushes the fish off. It may be nice from an outfitter point of view to say you haven't been quite enough or you should of stayed in the dark but that wouldn't be good from a vacation standpoint so we will continue to look for areas where you can enjoy the whole trip and if you want to hit the shallows it's best with a portable.

White jigs have ruled the last couple of days and some of the guys are getting to eat some and bring some home but most are drinking with the couple they got trying to make them talk. We will continue the hunt as it always turns around.

I have a group coming up Friday. 3 of us will be there before check in but plan on fishing before the rest of the clan gets to the lake later that night. Can a guy get around with a 4 wheeler or is it best to leave it at home?

the snow is deep on the lake. Unless you have chains, gonna be tough getting around on an ATV.

Good luck!

Ken

Made the rounds with the guys last night and all reports were slow by my standards and all the groups had been out with portables and said they have been doing just as well in the houses. A few had been frying fish and Lindy slick jigs had been the answer by three groups that stood out, all the guys were having a good time and said they have enjoyed their time here.

There has been a few more Crappies caught this year than the last couple of years is it Crappie days come back I doubt it but still nice to get a few. When I say it's slow Walleye fishing I don't mean it's Crappie slow.

Well, what can you do but keep trying. I respect that you're not afraid to tell it how it is. I am have booked another weekend with you guys at the end of feb, and am hoping that with more stable weather that things will improve.

Had a great time out of Portavilla these past two days. This was our 2nd year in a row, and will certainly be back again. They had the houses in as good as a spot as we could find in the portables, with almost all our fish coming in the hard house. Last year we searched and smacked em' in the portables during a slow Feb bite, where this year the hard house was on a decent school of fish. It was great having an additional Otter Thermal next to the hard house for exploring too. For the guys ripping on Chris for lack of moving, you have the nicest hard house, and the nicest portable on the lake at a great value. So I don't see what the problem is, if the hard house is slow, get out and explore in their provided portable. It is the perfect basecamp setup, with the ability to go explore and try the miles of unpressured water.

If it weren't -27 out sunday/monday we would've probably done a little more searching. We caught enough fish to keep a 3 man limit of quality eaters, a lot in the 18-19.5 inch range. Had a big fish fry during the superbowl at West Wind's that really hit the spot. My dad caught a porky 24 inch eye this morning for the big fish of the weekend. We were fishing directly on the bottom and slowly bringing it up; slick jigs with small minnows were the ticket. A couple at night on glow hook rattle reels and a red glow demond.

Here's a few that we started off with on Sunday:

full-910-29833-555902_10151230552245146_

Another good day today we got quite a few houses moved with just couple things to wrap up for the weekend. It was a good week and with a couple more weeks left its time to have some fun. The guys have been using little white glow hooks with some success. The fish look so healthy it's nice to see they have been feeding well.

All the young guys from different outfitters have been getting together fishing every night trying different areas sure is nice to see. They work together well and our guests have been awesome and have put there time in fishing. As one guy said today this is one sweet hotel lol.

• 3 weeks later...

Had a great time this last weekend out of portavilla. Dallas moved us to a fresh spot and we caught 34in walleyes, a small gator, and a lots of little perch. Thanks to Chris, Dallas, and the rest of the portavilla crew for a great weekend.

• 8 months later...

We won't be fishing on the lake this weekend as we don't feel comfortable with the current conditions. We will take a look at it through the week and currently think the following weekend may work better.

As of today there is not much for ice out of Rogers however Westwinds may be better positioned as of today. I would call them if your looking for something this weekend they may not be letting people out but worth a call if your inclined. They are very knowledgeable & safe as well if they say no they have good reasons.

For us we will have to wait.

Chis, good call. Joani and I just returned from a all day trip to Bemidji, to late to take a picture but take my word for it there still is a lot of open water out there and any change in wind direction will get the whole thing moving again.

Jerry

• 2 weeks later...

Sure do just give us a shout, With the Otter train doing it's job on 7-8 inches of ice and so it looks to be typical year.. but, weather man says look for snow monday through wednesday, how much? we will take it as it comes, prepared for the worst as always. So, on the the fishing. It's good, I laughed when Brad said "even the thumb suckers are catching fish and the tree huggers (fishermen who fish close to shore) are doing pretty good to" If you are not catching fish, use big baits and move, period.

For now Walleye kisses for everyone and good luck fishing, man it's good to be back icefishing.

full-21970-39655-photo1.jpg

full-21970-39656-photo2.jpg

From what I have been hearing is that trucks will be allowed in a couple of week unless the lake gets a bunch of snow an insulates the ice

We will have wheelhouses out very soon if we get a bunch of snow that will slow the progress of getting out farther by plowed road, however we can get to where we need to be by tracked ranger and Otter thermal portables. We will be to the Center Bar long before there's a road.

The guys did head out into the forbidden zone to find not much ice and flooding when they drilled. Right now hugging trees is fine they are catching plenty of fish in as this is normal, in a couple of weeks that's when we got to get out a couple miles on the south side. So far things are going better than planned and our two point approach to keeping guys on fish is in play.