• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Upper Red Lake Fishing Reports by Portavilla

Portavilla

Just like last time the action was spotty. We did pretty good on them the 6 man a lil ways away didnt do as good but still caught fish. #36 Taj mahal pounded em tho. Thanks once again guys wonderful trip.

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Portavilla

• cookie129

• Iambjm

• fishlakeman

With the fishing slowing down it was like someone hit a switch it's been some work to try to find a good bite. Bill switched it up and has a couple of houses doing a lot better. We now have to try to get all the houses back to producing here in the next couple of days.

The guys that he put on spots today have been getting a mixed bag of Perch and Walleyes.

Be on the lookout for a big yellow banana horning on your space Saturday. It is being towed by a pumpkin mobile with mama dog, papa dog and baby huey.

grin

Chris, Can't wait to get up there tommorow to try out one of your 4 man wheelhouses! We'll definately be fishing, not partyin so hopefully we can run into some fish. Brought the portables with as well to do some exploring during the day to try to find the currently elusive walleye. Looking to have a blast! -Nick

Chris we will be up Monday has anyone been having 20-30 walleye days recently? We are bringing portables. How deep is the snow?

The last week and a half has been tough, we have covered a lot of water with not seeing much change in the bite. We have had a few guys do well and quite few guys taking to the beer to self medicate. Last weekend I had some guys try an area and we have been doing better there. We packed up the camps and headed back and seem to be doing better 2-3 miles out out of Rogers and have been making the shifts for the weekend.

The perms have been getting a few fish and the guys with portables have been doing well. It has been drop down and catch a few active fish, move and repeat the process. They have been real touchy, they pull the bobber down 3" and let go once they feell the resistance. I have been pushing the bobber down with the eye of the rod and giving it a second and setting the hook and picking up more by doing so. Jigging with spoons sends them in the opposite direction.

If fish are like women they have been real touchy or just not in the mood. Right now you have to do some bar hoping if you want to get lucky and changing up up the jewelry and colors more than normal.

Hey all,

I just got back from my reunion to Red Lake after about a three year absence. I thought I would do a little picture chronicle of the trip (although just the one's I took from my cellphone).

Overall, we had a great trip! My dad, brother and I booked a PortAvilla 4 man wheelhouse sleeper for Saturday and Sunday night. Chris met us out on the ice Saturday morning, showed us our shack, and got us settled in. He mentioned that the bite was pretty rough, but were on a decent perch bite. I had a 10 inch perch in the 1st 3 minutes of the lines down. It was a little slower after that, and Chris stopped in a couple hours later with a spot we could try with the portables. We headed off to some broken ice, and the tip proved to be valid!

Between landed walleyes, and walleyes up to the hole, we hooked into about 50 walleyes. The reason I put it that way is due a healthy amount of fish battled and lost near the hole, but still plenty of them were landed. We had a big fish fry in the house, went home with our limit on Monday, and had 10 eyes over the slot go back. Only 3 small eyes (<14in). Day 1 was tough, and we spent most of the day humblily learning what didn't work. We worked our tails off, spread out the portables, covered about 500 yards of territory, and went through a tank of auger gas, but our hard work payed off. Day 2 really payed off from the hard work, as we literally had eyes on every 15-30 minutes. We found some active fish, and plenty of lethargic fish as well. Total, we ended up with a very nice bag of fish and the satisfaction that we were able to overcome a tough bite.

It was a beautiful drive up with all the frost covered trees

full-910-17295-2012_02_04_07_52_24_379.j

They're starting to pile up on Day 1 (yes, they are all under 17in):

full-910-17297-2012_02_05_13_21_38_30.jp

I had this happen at least 5 times, they were biting short, but wouldn't bite anything else we threw at em, so just had to deal with it.

full-910-17296-2012_02_05_16_31_41_940.j

Great Sunset on Red!

full-910-17298-2012_02_05_17_58_37_456.j

Fish Fry in PortAvilla's great sleeper house:

full-910-17299-2012_02_06_07_05_54_917.j

Day II midday bounty, great URL eaters!:

full-910-17300-2012_02_06_11_42_30_920.j

Even got into some crappies!

full-910-17304-dscn0049.jpg

OK, I'm JUST KIDDING about the Crappies, they we're from a little lake X from earlier in the year, haha. ( I do want to make it up there late season for some URL slabs though!) Overall, I couldn't be happier with our trip to URL. The size structure on the lake is excellent, and I don't know of many other lakes anywhere where a guy can catch that many quality fish. A huge thanks to Chris at Portavilla for great houses, and great hospitality. We will definately be back! -Nick

GLad to see you had success! Sorry I never texted you back. We were pretty busy with everything that went on.

Our success was similar, but from totally different means. Far and away, deadsticks outproduced jigging for walleyes. My first eye was Friday night shortly after we got to Battle River's house. Caught it on a rattle reel at about 10 p.m. on a plain hook and shiner. Right around the 16.5-inch mark.

Next morning, I caught another 16 on a gold Rattling Flyer spoon tipped with a minnow head. This was in a spot about 100 yards from the house along a pressure ridge. Bit died pretty quick, so after breakfast I went out solo to find the fish.

Found the mother lode right on top of the pressure ridge waaaay out from any house. Caught two 14-inch walters right off the bat on the dead stick, then played with jumbo perch until about an hour before sunset. Must have caught close to 50 perch. Only kept 15.

Couldn't contain the spot to myself, so I invited a couple of the guys out there. Two of them caught four walleyes and a couple perch.

Next morning I had six total people on the spot. Fishing was much slower. Had lots of sniffers, but not many takers. Caught two more eyes and one perch before we called her quits and headed for home.

Some of the guys who stuck to the big shacks also had luck, but seemed like the action was slower.

Anyway, the guys at Battle River Rentals were top notch. Came out and checked on us frequently to make sure all was right. Jerry really didn't like my worn-out baseball cap, and offered a trade for a brand-new red Battle River cap. I was a wee-bit on the happy side after a few cocktails, and couldn't come to terms with forfeiting one of my favorite caps. Wish I would have now after such a great experience!

The bite has improved the last couple of days and has been better than the last couple of weeks. Everybody had fish in the bucket in the perms and Mike and I headed to some broken ice in a portable and had our limits in short order. Mike has Down Syndrome and has never caught on to jigging so I put a buckshot on a bigger rainbow to rattle for him and a dead stick with a green perch eye with a fat head and he put us both to watching movies and frying fish.

The Center Bar has been putting fish in the bucket also. We are starting to see more houses on the bar and an improvement to the bite.

• 2 weeks later...

Chris, Elk River guy here. Where are all of your regular great posts? Must mean the fishing is so good that you don't have time for it?

Was hoping to close the inland season out up there this weekend. Have 4 days to burn and fish to catch. How has the bite been? Can I setup with you guys Thursday afternoon? Talk soon.

I hope it dosen't, Makin a trip up this weekend.. The pressure seems to be fairly consistant throughout the weekend. I believe that usually has a better effect on the fish!

Hope this drop in temps doesnt hurt the bite!!

• 8 months later...

We are looking forward to the hard water fishing this season and looks like we will need to get some more Otters so it looks like we are not the only ones looking forward to the season. The anticipation of this new slot is a complete distraction to the day job, like I tell everyone about outfitting the hours are long, the work is hard, the pay is so so, but the benefits are priceless. This year we are just going to keep it “simply fishing”

We just added new 8x20 4 man sleepers into the line up. Theses units have bathrooms, sofas, stoves, ovens and much more. We have been looking for a great unit that would fit into our line up and these units have impressed us. For more information check out our website.

full-21970-26136-image.jpg

full-21970-26137-image.jpg

full-21970-26138-image.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

With the new units stacking up its time to head Upper Red. Bill just rolled into Rogers with one an hour ago and reinforcements are on the way.

They are located on the Houses tab, then scroll down to the 4 Man Salem Ice Cabins to review this unit type. They are $240.00 Friday and Saturday, $130.00 Sunday- Thursday. These prices are for the house we do not charge by the person. If you bring extra kids or others and feel that you can make that work we do not charge extra as the same goes if you come with less people the price is the same.

If you go to our Reservation tab and see none available and you have followed the date entry instructions on the top of the page if the calander does not pop up, then the units are be booked for the days selected.

The reservation system is open to everyone and guys are able to book multiple days or just a single day, you can book your trip on Upper Red for a day and Mille Lacs for a couple or however you want to do it. We have been seeing guys comming up an doing an overnight at Mille lacs then heading to Upper Red and some even take off from there to Lake of the Woods.

This year we do offer guide services and these trips have to be booked by phone so we can make adjustments depending on group size. We have made these arrangements with some of the best guides in the business that are committed to teaching all the tips and techniques so you can be successful.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

It was nice meeting you at the Hardwater Ice Expo Chris. Sounds like the fishing might be early ice and great for walleyes this season.

I talked Jerry & Joni of Roger's and sounds like they are pumped for a nice season as well.

Please keep us updated on the ice conditions as we go here.

Thanks sir.

With more Otter on board and a new Salem Ice Cabin in tow we headed to Upper Red today. It appears we have 2-5 inches out of Rogers and we will do some exploring tomorrow. There is no doubt in my mind that we will see a lot of foot traffic by the weekend, with the current temps maybe even a little wheeling going on never the less we are good to go by 12/7.