• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Upper Red Lake Fishing Reports by Portavilla

Portavilla

December 18th, 2011

What an awesome day we had today. The weather was fantastic and getting limits was not a chore. The weekend was the usual pre-fishing ordeal some guys doing well other not so hot and by the end of weekend we have a pretty good plan for starting the season.

We had a great group of guys up from Fishing Minnesota fishing with us and man did they work hard from scouting out areas on their knees in the cold and wind to frying up fish and just licking our wounds to celebrating at Rogers new bar. Some got there a day early and slept on the shore in anticipation of the coming day. My son Danny and I moved houses and the guys spread out on foot and worked it hard you couldn't of asked for a better effort, in all it encompassed everything ice fishing has to offer.

The fishing was hot to not and back and fourth. The fish were out and back to shore and anglers kept hitting the fish cleaning station it was nice to see. Today for the first time ever during our pre-fishing event Danny and I stopped moving things and fished ourselves we got a couple of limits and went in and shot pool and visited for the rest of the day then ate more fish.

Bill and Dallas have been moving our new 6 mans up and the Vikings could only wish they had such a front line. I have been told they are so nice they are offensive and to us they are just another addition to our line up of accommodations. We even had a gal up from a major hotel chain and she gave 5 stars and with that I could not of asked for a better turn out.

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Portavilla

• cookie129

• Iambjm

• fishlakeman

Yes, Chris, we had alot of fun and iced many eyes as well. I will have a full report posted this evening hopefully with pictures.

Once again, a great time out of Rogers with Port-A-Villa.

December 19th, 2011

Today we got the last of the 6 mans up here and tomorrow we will be taking them and our deluxe 4 mans out sea.

Most of the outfitters are at the resort now and the landscape is changing with new housing developments popping up across the ice. The fishing continues with fisherman having a good time, the bar has been a buzz of fun filled fishing adventures. After last years shore shackled ice conditions anything seams possible. I have never seen so much broken up ice to fish around there is square miles of it.

The Center Bar is not far off anymore. We should have are 2 man deluxe houses and 4 man wheelhouses there by the 2nd week of January maybe sooner.

December 20th, 2011

Today was just more setup, man we got the stuff to get spread out with running extension cords, generators, bathrooms and getting trucks ready it was a long day.

We did get our 6 mans on the ice and wished we had a little snow, pulling them down the gravel road removed some wood off the skis. We started taking them to sea with the one ton and it went well until we got back to shore in about 3 feet of water a double crack formed and I chose to go to the right, wrong decision I dropped the back end of the truck in the drink. Well that wasn't part of my plans for the day. Dallas started singing a song a little different than the one on the radio and with my smiley face necklace (aka Jefferson) hanging from my mirror I had to laugh so I called Jerry and a couple of outfitters and in an hour and one bottle of Whiskey for Donny standing in water jacking up the truck I was back up and the area bridged.

I took the truck for a drive to blow the water out of the muffler and heat up the wheels and get Donny that bottle. It gave me some time to nerve up to taking that last 6 man out and finish the job. The wind had picked up pretty good by then so pulling the last one out the wind was blowing that 28 footer like a sail and it was pulling my truck on the glare ice, they kind of reminded me of Arks and since a lot of these guys are party animals I decided to call them Portavilla Arks.

The day was filled with battles and adventure what more can a man ask for.

December 26th, 2011

We kicked off the day drilling holes and firing things up. Most the guys were in by 2:00 the fishing seamed a little slower but most the guys were doing good just before dark. One of our groups was defiantly slower so we will see how she goes in the morning we may have to move that group.

The lake today was a buzz and looked liked the Forest Lake fishing contest our group in the middle of it did the best go figure. It seems like the only thing we are not letting out on the lake is semis and negative attitudes. The South shore from Jrs corner to Rogers was very busy. The Crappies use to like hugging the North shore and the Walleyes just seam to love those tight transition lines of the South shore and the fisherman are onto it.

The wind has been just blowing hard all day, one of our outhouses took off like it was on skates what a kick. The original shack dogs are back and the chow has been great these guys sealed the deal for all future shack dogs last year. The guys dig the new units and like what we did with the older ones. With only one more weapon to construct I find myself bored, we may just have to conquer more acreage to keep the troops from getting complacent however looking to the North all I see is a single ominous light in the darkness. Has anyone heard from that kid from the swamp I heard he formed his own religion, is that him I see holding the lantern over there.

We are out on Rogers road in the masses too. Started fishing about 11:00 yesterday. Nothing special until after dark. Then we caught fish all night long. Absolutely crazy, absolutely fun!!! 25 walleyes and counting. Now I need to rest up for tonight!!

Chris, this is the guy from elk river you've been plowin spots for the last few yrs. Lookin to come up fri to sun. Shouldnt need a plow but was hopin to drop the wheelhouse by the portavilla shacks for a baae camp. Can i give u a call from rogers when i get up friday and point me in the right direction? Thanks for any help.

Nothing to do tomorrow everyone is fine where they are. The fishing has been real good out of Rogers and it looks like its Walleye for supper again.

December 28th, 2011

The fishing was real good yesterday, we had some houses that went flat the day before so we moved the six units in that strip and headed to a new location and the guys just kept catching fish all day. We ate fish drank some cocktails and ate more fish it was a good day. The road to the Center Bar has been staked out but at this time there is no need to venture that far out. The good fishing has been close to Rogers bar and with that said we all got a little bent out of shape.

Today we will explore a bit and pray for snow as banking material is non existent. Drilling holes for ice shavings has and is still the best banking material available on the lake today. I would however keep it this way and buy snow machines than repeat last year. Life on the lake has been good as of late and how long will it last is debatable, as of now it just seems endless.

How sweet it is.. I'll be popping in for new year to have my first official cocktail and rodgers new place. See ya then

cookie

Thanks for the report. We are looking forward to spending time in your 6 person Monday-Wednesday.

We will have portables in tow just in case we need to do some exploring.

Keith

December 28th, 2011

The day started as just a what should we do day and turned on us. The bridge looked a little suspect no major concerns but Jerry thought we should reroute it the choose spot right past my houses. With a freeway out the front window we started moving those big boys just as well. The bridge is in a better spot and our guys got put on a fresh spot not a bad deal at all.

The fishing remains good and have not seen many long faces. There has been some but a lot of it has been in fisherman experience and those that change up there presentations and those that chose not to. Everyone that left today was very happy and the best report was over 60 in 24 hrs and the worst was 16 in 24 hours.

16 and 60 fished side by side and 16 had zero until he listened to the guys next door.

Chris, headin up in am. Ice roads looking ok out of rogers for 1/2 ton ford (wheeler in box) and 14 ft. ice castle? Cant wait!

Should be fine worse case may want to unload the wheeler. If your staying with me we have been running heavier than that but if your going to venture off unload the wheeler.

December 29th, 2011

The fishing was good to very good last night and this morning, one group was still struggling and we offered some other houses for them to try and with the weather they walked out into the broken ice and did pretty good. The afternoon bite slowed down a lot and we will see what happens tonight. Tomorrow we may have to move a group and you can't ask for better weather.

The reports in the lodge was mixed with guys getting limits and doing better a few where is the fish statements but not common. Guys were waiting to use the fish cleaning station most of the day and that is good sign.

7-15 feet all had good reports the fish are still moving in and out with guys doing very well in shallow at night.

December 30th, 2011

We had a couple groups not do as well today and one group did fantastic. We moved one group and will move the other tomorrow. We have been moving are groups every two to three days the group we are moving tomorrow will be on there 3rd spot since Monday. We are still fishing in and as long as we keep moving we have had real good fishing with a few slow opportunities. 8-9 feet seems to be dyeing off and we have been doing better in 10-13 feet. Fishing has still been very good and guys that get out have been having a real good time.

December 30th, 2011

We had a couple groups not do as well today and one group did fantastic. We moved one group and will move the other tomorrow. We have been moving are groups every two to three days the group we are moving tomorrow will be on there 3rd spot since Monday. We are still fishing in and as long as we keep moving we have had real good fishing with a few slow opportunities. 8-9 feet seems to be dyeing off and we have been doing better in 10-13 feet. Fishing has still been very good and guys that get out have been having a real good time.

December 31st, 2011

With everyone on fresh ice the fishing has been real good. We got all our moves done with ease today before all our arrivals and everyone is enjoying themselves. Dropping back our amount of houses has made this simple to do, we are use to working twice as hard and it has been easy moving every couple of days. It's nice putting the fun back into it, with nothing else to do today I guess I will go fishing myself and find some more spots.

December 31st, 2011

Fishing has maintained to be very good with all the houses reporting good numbers except two units. 80% of noon arrivals had limits and double limit throw backs by 6:00 pm. We have been playing the back around following the heard of fisherman staying behind and to the side of them, getting the push back. When the fish quite dropping back we will make the run and try to get in front of the drive. 12-13 feet today was the charm.

I was going to fish today but quickly had my limit like a dog getting thrown a bone, the best kind of compliment you can get. Take some of ours.

January 1st, 2011

The bite slowed some with the front moving in. They have still been doing good and compared to last year, I guess nothing compares to that thank god.

The boys are getting pounded today as mother nature can be a mean girl.

Winds are brutal today, fishing has been terrible today in 9 ft of water. Yesterday we caught 25-30 walleye most being above the slot. We probably caught 30 perch as well. Today we've caught 2 perch and 2 walleye. One walleye was 15" the other was a 23"

Good day to drink in the shack and kick back.

*just caught a perch on a rattle reel just before I hit submit.

I have been on the lake most of the day and we are paying for the mild start to winter as it is brutal out there. Mother nature at her finest. The houses have developed some dandy drifts .Tomorrow it is going to be almost unbearable as the temps drop below zero tonight. Jeff and Marissa are in florida and did real well yesterday and last night but it has slowed a bit today.

Wendy and Scott are in the ice castle and she is battling a big walleye as I type. Scott had just landed a 40 inch piek and took it over to florida and then released it there?

January 2nd, 2011

The fishing slowed down some but still no complaints it's been a day of digging out, starting cars and unthawing generators. We went from hardly any snow to bank houses to some good drifts by the houses. We have been running power to our houses for years and last 24 hours was probably the hardest to keep them going. The guys worked all night on them. The snow just moved across the ice at high speeds unrestricted and packed them tight with snow. When you take the covers off they were just packed and that with them in a barrel. With the worst of it over its just another day of plowing and getting back to normal. The guys got rolling at 4:30 Am and will have things in good shape

This year it's nice having the mix of houses we have, from big skid houses to our wheel houses they all offer something different. The big skid houses are fishing in total comfort and style, the wheel houses we can get to places you can't get to with a skid house. We have been taking our wheelhouses into the broken ice fields, we jump up on it and get away from everyone and the fishing has been fantastic in these areas. These are areas you can't get to with a skid house and to attack these hot spots you need to be portable. Nothing like a nice warm hard sided house on days like the last couple. Upper Red can get real nasty weather wise most of the time.