• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Big sandy

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lispeej

• lakeshoremunster

• fisherman-andy

• Big_Sandy_Lake

The ice was pretty much consistent at around 18 inches. Can't really say much for the middle of the main lake though. There have been cars/trucks driving all over in the bays and near shore.

The ice was pretty much consistent at around 18 inches. Can't really say much for the middle of the main lake though. There have been cars/trucks driving all over in the bays and near shore.

Okay. thanks.

What is the best way to get to Bill Horn Bay? From the boat launch on the northern part of the lake? Are there any resorts that would make the trip to Bill Horn Bay closer?

What is the best way to get to Bill Horn Bay? From the boat launch on the northern part of the lake? Are there any resorts that would make the trip to Bill Horn Bay closer?

use the Bellhorn Bay launch. not sure if it's shown on the maps or not? but pretty easy to find.

if youre asking about the State Park/launch on the North end of lake - definitely not - that about as far away as you could get

I will be heading up to big sandy on thursday any reports would be greatly greatly appreciated ice thickness fow they are biting or bays whats biting on what any thing and everything only trip I could swing this year would like to make it successful

Father-in-law was up this past weekend and didn't have much success. There are a few groups of people that people are fishing on the lake right now. There are some on the north end of the lake...not sure what they are catching, if anything. And there is a good group on Bellhorn too. We had luck a few weekends ago fishing in about 25 feet of water, about 3 feet up off the bottom with minnows. I think your key is to be to just find a group of houses and see what you can find. Most of the guys out there are pretty nice and willing to tell you whats what right now. A few are tight lipped about whats working. I would start off in Bellhorn and then work your way around from there. With the warm weather I am not sure how the ice is doing...Though there was a good 18 inches here a couple weekends ago. But it is supposed to be getting nice and cold so it should start making more ice again. As far as snow on the lake...there is little to none. Feel free to PM me and I can give you a little more detailed info.

• 2 weeks later...

We absolutely slaughtered the Slabs yesterday during the warm up. Found a shallow hump with drops offs and the Crappies were schooled up heavily around it. The action lasted pretty much all day and shutdown towards sunset. We still marked them but could not get them to touch presentation. The bite was very finicky and light so using small presentation jigs and lures is prime key during daylight.

We must not have been too far apart. We got into a few crappies too, not as good as you had it, but enough where if we were targetting them we could have put together a nice day.

Im looking to head up tonight in a couple hours , I have a pretty big wheelhouse, (ice castle Rv Edition ) Fifth Wheel! Heavy. But If I can get confirmation on the bell horn bay area haveing atleast 18" consistantly Im not afraid of pulling it out there! can someone let know how the ice is right now PLEASE.

Thank You

Im looking to head up tonight in a couple hours , I have a pretty big wheelhouse, (ice castle Rv Edition ) Fifth Wheel! Heavy. But If I can get confirmation on the bell horn bay area haveing atleast 18" consistantly Im not afraid of pulling it out there! can someone let know how the ice is right now PLEASE.

Thank You

you will be fine if you are just planning on staying at the bay, I dont know how the ice is out in the main lake. I too will be out there tomorrow at sun up.

Had some buddies that went yesterday, did well on tullies, few crappies. However snow is thicker and may give some trouble for non 4 wheelers. So if your driving just a 2wd car be weary.

Had a tiring long drive past Sat Morning but was well worth it fishing with a buddy. Got into some Tullies & Crappies again. I think we have the Crappies figured out. Now if I can only get into some nice walleyes? Being willing to share info with spots & tips if I can get into some good walleye action. PM if you wanna trade tips for Walleyes VS. Crappies.

2148f9t.jpg

those are some nice crappies you have there, we went out on friday and I got only one crappie but it was a nice sized one. As for eyes the only ones I have seen come out of the hole are small ones that always gets to swim for another day. Now what would be a bonus would be a pout, we usually get a few every year but havent hooked up on one yet this year.

Seems to me that the fish were the most active in the morning hours. How has the bite been for folks during the afternoon/evening to night bite?

Is there such a thing as a night bite on this lake?

McGregor suppose to get some this week...

How would the snow affect the tullies? will it darken the water/slow the bite?

yup, got about 7 inches over the weekend. The lake is great for riding sleds. Supposed to get more this week.

I don't think the snow will affect the tullie bite.

As far as the eyes are concerned, I haven't really heard much about anyone getting anything in the slot. The few guys I have talked to that have gotten some, have said they got them late at night on rattle reels.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

Had a tiring long drive past Sat Morning but was well worth it fishing with a buddy. Got into some Tullies & Crappies again. I think we have the Crappies figured out. Now if I can only get into some nice walleyes? Being willing to share info with spots & tips if I can get into some good walleye action. PM if you wanna trade tips for Walleyes VS. Crappies.

2148f9t.jpg

Here's my Walleye tip for you on Big Sandy. It's closed for the season! shocked

Now lets talk about your Crappie & Tillie tips! grin

Here's my Walleye tip for you on Big Sandy. It's closed for the season! shocked

Now lets talk about your Crappie & Tillie tips! grin

Ha ha yes its going to be. Should asked alot earlier. Its not too difficult to get into the tullies all over the lake. However the Crappies can be quite elusive and finicky. It should only get better with warm ups for both species.

Hopefully you have a snowmobile if you plan on going out this weekend, snow time!!!! I can't wait, a little riding and a little fishing. Hopefully this will keep the numbers down on the lake a little. Good luck everyone and don't get stuck. Even though I don't like wasting time digging people out, I have a hard time passing by someone who needs help. I have pulled wheelers out this year (from water), cars and trucks. Be smart and stay on a packed trail or don't go for it.

I will be venturing out on sat, hopefully the snow dosent dump too hard on the lake, snow or no snow Im going out.

Well, anyone brave it out on Sandy? Did they get hit hard up there and how's the snow on ice? Hoping to go up this week if it's possible.

Haven't made it out yet- A friend who lives on the lake said he noticed some slush starting to show on the north end. He said some cars were getting stuck earlier in the week. Hard to say how much we got cause it blew so much-probably 5-6". I'm taking the snowmobiles out just to be safe. Hate to get stuck, kind of ruins the day. Been there, done that.