• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Big sandy

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lispeej

• lakeshoremunster

• fisherman-andy

• Big_Sandy_Lake

• 3 weeks later...

What's the latest on the ice level? Are folks still walking out? Wondering if this weekend would be a good time to take the kids out for a good walk and fun fishing event.

While I didn't get to Big Sandy, I was on Minnewawa fishing the narrows. 12" of clear black ice and a few people are going out in trucks. If you are on sleds watch out for a pressure ridge that runs all the way across from Sheshebee Point to Warner's Point. It varies from 1'-2' and would really suck hitting at night. Good thing there's no snow right now. Oh, by the way, fishing was very slow.

I know that last weekend, people were still pretty leery about going across the lake with snowmobiles(yet there isn't much of anything for snow). But we plan to get the house out here next weekend. Haven't really heard much about the fishing yet though.

Haven't heard much about the tullies yet. I am pretty sure you can find em, but I have no clue where to start looking yet.

they have just started, it will be a little bit yet untill they are in full swing but you can start to get on some now.

How/where do people target tullibee or are they generally incidental to other targeted species?

You find the tullies in the deeper water and running really high normally 10 feet down or less little ice jigs or Swedish pimples tipped with waxies or euro larva. Most people target them on the north end in the big water area.

Thanks for the updates guys. I will be out there this sat, hopefully we can get on some fish.

The tullies really dont go into swing until end of Feb. I usually just go target crappies on the bottom and then reel up when I see a flash up high on the flasher. Just use your crappie jigs for the tullies.

Another tip when you see that flash up high on the flasher move quick because they come in schools and only stay for a few seconds.

saw a few drive out. Ice seems to be the same everywhere i have been on the lake.

do you personally think the ice is safe for driving on? I just dont want to head up there and not be able to drive out.. 1/2 ton truck

do you personally think the ice is safe for driving on? I just dont want to head up there and not be able to drive out.. 1/2 ton truck

Father-in-law just gave a quick heads up last night that there is no snow on the lake right now. Not sure if things changed overnight or not, but if its windy it might be hard to keep the house in place. Plus it might be a little tough to drive anything out there right now.

Was there today, it had a thin layer of snow.

There were plenty of fish swiming around but they were really picky on what they wanted to bite, and it took alot of work to get them to take the bait.

Ice is forming pretty quick now. There were a few small cars driving around and across the lake I could see a pick up parked with all the houses, asides from the few cars out driving everyone else were on sleds and atv's. Did see some guys walking out to fish.

Hooked on a few fish, more small perch than crappies, tullies were not active.

uncles just got back from up there fishing was real slow 18+" of ice lots of people driving but i dont trust it yet maybe the end of the month.

just use what you would use to catch crappies, the bite is not constant and they have been very shy and lite biters

What kind of lures work for tullies on the lake? Do they constantly bite?

Panfish jigs with a waxie tip. Not to disagree with lakeshore but I have found them to be very willing to bite.

Have to agree with Chris, we had no problem catching fish. Key seemed to be what was on the end of the line. Plastics seemed to work best for us.

ole

Was on Big Sandy yesterday. Bites were early morning to noon. Completely shut down in the afternoon and picked up a hour or so before dark.

Tullies, Crappies, Perch, Gills were all caught. But fish were very finicky at times. Various small plastics and jigs tipped with butter worm or euro larvae. For the tullies buckshot dropper spoons, or hali dropper spoons.

Cars, trucks driving out. But I will have to say the ice still seems soft and at times where we drilled felt like there was only 10"-12". Some spots had 15"-20". So use caution when driving.

It sure did shut off yesterday, we didnt do too great either but that was because we started a bit later than we should have. But boy there sure was a crowd out there. We managed to get a few after they shut off but only got about one for every three that came in, they got really picky after most of them shut off.

Been hearing they turn on before noon myself. Father-in-law got the house out and fished a few hours after lunch. A few were caught, but not much. We are getting all the guys up next weekend to try and get a few.

Heading to sandy tomorrow. Hoping to get into some crappies & some walleye. Was thinking of starting in bellhorn bay. Any thoughts or ideas? Thanks for any help or advice.

Was up Thurs-Sunday. Seen quite a few people in half tons out there. We did very good......finally! Ended up with 14 crappies for our group of guys. Heard of a few walleye being caught very late at night. Even got 2 northerns on tip-ups.