• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

What have you been tying lately?

ted4887

Fishin's spenday in saint lou ayyyy... where the gun play rang all day (nah nah nah) some got jobs and some sell yay....

others just cast them flies all day...

• Replies 714
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ted4887

• itchmesir

• Slabasaurus

• OnAFly

only place i've been so far that I could buy Liquor, Ammo, and Bait all in the same store.. actually the store only sold those three items.. pretty sketchy looking place.. no surprise really

and since all of the above don't seem to entice anything, here's one i tied for me (my first reel attempt at a deer hair fly)

EE1F844C-A38D-48D9-B867-B56433070A6B-325

Here's what the pattern looks like to me (My coworkers friend tied this one, not her, so I'm not 100% on the pattern):

Hook: Scud/Caddis size 16

Body: Green Wire - Brassie size

Wing Case: krystal flash (4 strands)

Wing case top: 2 goose biot tips

Thorax: small amount of fine black dubbin

Head: 2mm silver bead 2.4mm silver bead

I'd use black thread... 14/0 but that's just me.

I tried tying this up. Couple things...

2.4mm (3/32) silver bead is the right call.

Also, there is another piece to the 'wing' puzzle. Layer it from bottom up thusly:

1) 4 fibers from hungarian partridge feather

2) 4 Pices o'Krystal Flash

3) 2 Goose Biot, laid atop the flash

Ok, when is the carp fly swap? Those ones on the left look awesome itch!

As soon as you start one I suppose wink

Thanks, I can't wait to see what they'll catch in 4-5 months whistle

It's krinkled flash. You would be amazed or laugh if you knew its origins.

Krinkled flash? Like the Northern Lights stuff from FTD? I've got a few packages of that stuff, and it blows. It will likely sit in my desk for years before I can come up with a use for it.

However, your stuff looks different than mine. What brand is the stuff?

What's the origin? I know you fish those all-flash Clousers like it's going out of style. Appears to be a similar concept.

That is one sexy number there...

I think I have some more uses for that discount ice tinsel stuff I picked up at target Christmas decoration sale!

I have the Northern Lights stuff from FTD, it does suck.... I cut that up in 1 inch long pieces and use it for dubbing brushes.

I guess its a brand....... my wife bought a pile of it for Christmas, a good call on her part. Now it has found a better purpose. Upcycled for the fishes.

And yes, it is tied clouser style, like the flash flies I love so much.

Nice flashy predator fly there. Finally bit the bullet and invested in some clear cure goo. Amazballs

Egg. No thread

full-18702-29351-image.jpg

Caddis encrusted with CCG

full-18702-29354-image.jpg

Can't wait to use it for tying these. I've seen you guys talking about leader material. I just do 40 lb mono. Albright to 80lb flouro and then tie on a heavy duty snap

full-18702-29353-image.jpg

that's a beefy looking fly there gooty! Sure some pike/musky will find it to be a dandy morsel

I've never made any hot glue eggs before.. honestly i have rarely ever used a egg pattern in general.. they look interesting though

I'm very surprised with the UV Resin. Awesome stuff. The possibilities are endless. Thorax coating, Wing casings, eggs, spoon flies, "cement heads", lipped streamers. I may be a little late to the game in using it, but excited none the less.

On another note, I'm intrigued by this carp fly swap. Who's in???

Nice ties Gooty. Those bucktail streamers are just plain fun to tie. And CCG is probably my favorite ingredient in my tying arsenal. The possibilities with the stuff really are endless. I saw a prototype "lipped" streamer that Brad Bohen was working on last fall. He was using wax paper to help form the lip. It will be interesting to see if he ever posts the fly online. It was definitely unique.

I'm in for a carp fly swap as well. I'll start up the thread.

Gooty - nice work man.

I have the loon uv cure stuff... I love it.

I haven't tried CCG yet, i think the fly angler just started carrying that one. At least I hadn't found it there before they rearranged everything. Probably pick some up here soon to compare. I'll need some soon enough anyway... it's about time to start tying up some musky stuff. I've put that off for far too long.

@ted... i've seen videos online of people using silly putty to make molds for spoon flies.. i'd imagine the same could be done to make lips for flies

@slab... whatever you do.. don't waste your money on the over priced light.. get a cheap-o off the auction site...

@slab... whatever you do.. don't waste your money on the over priced light.. get a cheap-o off the auction site...

Ha. Yeah, I have a cheap@$$ UV lamp I've been usin with the loon cure.

From what I've read the loon and CCG both activate within the same spectrum. I forget what that range is though and am definitely too lazy to google it right now smile

Don't worry about spectrums.. all blue UV lights will have the same spectrum that are available to the normal every day fly tyer

I can show you a link to the exact one I got.. was shipped within the US too.. so sure it was made in china.. but someone in the US made a buck too.. still supporting them homeland jobs ya know.. 'MMMMMMERRRRRRICA

So with the talk of this carp and smallie trip in June, I was thinking

1. I like big streamers

2. Smallies like Tequillies

So behold the articulated tequillie.

Its more or less a sex dungeon with rabbit zonkers on the back

Qrtt9lO.jpg

zGtTqMf.jpg

ya they are dumbells. the head is actually stacked not spun. that's kinda the trick to working around the eyes. It seems like it would be much more difficult than it really is