• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

What have you been tying lately?

ted4887

• Replies 714
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ted4887

• itchmesir

• Slabasaurus

• OnAFly

hahaha... definitely what i was gettin at.

I thought adding "nespah" to the end would be a little too obvious wink

Getting ready for the last steelbow trip of the year. Going to fish HARD this coming weekend.

Black epoxy-back Stone

PB050717.jpg

One of my boxes, almost ready to go.

PB050719.jpg

PB050720.jpg

Your going to need to tie at least 8 times that many if your going to stand upstream from me throwing them in to create a hatch

Probably from what I hear that presentation is everything so its probably better to just practice Snapping the line and smacking the water as hard as possibly

If you are roll casting, be sure to follow through all the way. You want the tip UNDER water for a really drag free presentation.

That black stone looks sharp. I still have issues with my x-legs.

If you are roll casting, be sure to follow through all the way. You want the tip UNDER water for a really drag free presentation.

That black stone looks sharp. I still have issues with my x-legs.

That's a good tip. All beginners should heed that sage advice.

The best piece of advice I can give you is to use figure 8's to get them at the angles that you want. If I can get my camera to focus during a video, I'll throw something up for you tonight to show you what I mean.

I figured out how to make x legs not look like the blair witch doll

PA301594-1-1.jpg

blair-witch-project1.jpg

see

478A1257-63F0-48D4-A6DF-75C11C05DFA3-132

Neat huh?

I have yet to make a fly tying video where my camera knew what to focus on. I mean, it's my lighting, but hey. With guys like Davie McP out there tyin, what biz do I have makin one. hahaha.

Dang.... I'll get busy. Will a copper john hatch suffice?

better have plenty of muddler minnows for the muddler minnow hatch

Winter and I don't get along very well. Just a fact. Where i grew up, winter was mostly cloudy.

But I do like ice fishing, and figured I might as well try to catch most of my ice fish on flies this year.

First design. totally original. I am POSITIVE nobody has ever had this idea wink heh. (It's a euro larvae if you could not tell)

take a size 14ish scud hook. Red thread, and a small tungsten bead. I wrap the thread as far back on the bend as I can.

PB141633-1.jpg

Wrap some lead around the middle of the shank. Like So.

PB141634-1.jpg

secure the lead. Make a nice taper on both ends. Probably doesn't have to be perfect.

PB141637-1.jpg

Rib/body segment... use wire the same color as the thread. (In this case, red. Lance, that was for you bud)

PB141638-1.jpg

Finish it off with some nice UV Goo. I messed this one up.. but probably still going to fool some gills this winter.

PB141644-1.jpg

I'm not a real happy camper right now. My wrist is killing me and I wanted to tie flies and enjoy a beer. 10 minutes in, my vice jaws snapped while I was putting last clump of deer hair on my Sex Dungeon. Guess I'll find out tomorrow what kind of customer service I can expect from Renzetti. eek

PB180040.jpg

PB180041.jpg

This is what I'm left with... mad

PB180043.jpg

They should take care of you. That deep into the jaws its obviously some bad steel. I got a loaner if you need something to keep tying if its going to take a while to get back. Just lemme know

Ted. That sucks man. Hopefully they treat you alright.... let us know how that turns out.

Apparently 210 denier waxy thread is nicer for these euro larvae ice flies. Some of these ones look like they might go into metamorphosis at any moment and turn into those little black flies... not that I have any personal experience with what euro larvae turn into when you leave a bait puck on the counter when you go out of town... heh.

F105E7EB-6348-4DD9-9523-992B30FEE1E4-323

If any of you guys are curious as to how my vise ordeal played out with Renzetti, here you go.

I received a call this morning from the lady in charge of repairs and warranty, and she said that there was really nothing to show that it was a material defect. In fact, she was almost accusatory in the way she said it. She just kept mentioning hook placement, and that I should watch their videos on it. They did in fact charge me their small handling fee, but that's not the point here.

The fact that they didn't admit fault is what really peeves me about this whole thing. I've posted the pictures of that broken jaw on a few different forums, and the general consensus has been that it had to of been a material defect.

In the grand scheme of things, the fact that I'll choose to never do business with Renzetti again probably won't hurt them at all. However, I was going to purchase a set of saltwater jaws from them if they had handled the warranty issue the way that I had expected. Now, I'll choose to spend a few hundred dollars more and buy a different vise, just to spite them.

If any of you guys are curious as to how my vise ordeal played out with Renzetti, here you go.

I received a call this morning from the lady in charge of repairs and warranty, and she said that there was really nothing to show that it was a material defect. In fact, she was almost accusatory in the way she said it. She just kept mentioning hook placement, and that I should watch their videos on it. They did in fact charge me their small handling fee, but that's not the point here.

Well duh Ted. It's obviously your fault. hahaha...

I was hoping you would have something better to say, but there's a reason they're nickname is ren$h!tty... and I believe that lady you talked to was the only lady that works there. At least from what I've heard.

is this the video she's talkin about? 706 views. Nice.

I've looked at the Peak vises and it is on my list for sure.

Another one I'm interested in is Dyna-King's Supreme. Holds every hook size imaginable. The other added bonus is that it ISN'T Renzetti. mad

Guess it's time for you to get a Nor-Vise wink

That's seriously F'd up.. I see no reason how that could be from "improper hook placement" what a bunch of talk

I was wondering what Renzetti said Ted. You can tell a lot about a company by their customer service and I definitely wont be buying a Renzetti any time soon based on that. It sucks that they wont admit that it was a defect in the metal and replace it.

I've look a little bit at those, Eric. We'll see if I can play my cards right. That's a spendy little setup, but pretty cool.

@c0untryf1sh3r - I'm with you. Most rotary vises in that $200 price range are so similar that one could almost purchase one just based off of what kind of customer service to expect. Being treated like an silly-me just assured me that I have put my money into the wrong company. Won't be making that mistake again!

We should all send them an email letting them know that they lost a ton of potential customers due to their lack of competence when dealing with their customers.. I had always kept an eye on Renzetti because I had seen so many different tyers use them.. Now there ain't a chance in h3ll that I'd even think of buying one.. even used

Definitely not used. Without the warranty card, you would be completely SOL on some material defect or broken part. Renzetti replacement parts are NOT cheap by any means. Even material clips designed for their vices cost $10.

I had actually started working on a letter that I plan on sending their way - once my jaws are back of course. I was ready to spend some a bit of money today ordering from them. Had they just acknowledged it was a material defect and not blamed it on me, they would have gained my business. Instead, I'm in the market for a whole new saltwater vise. crazy

And just like that, I ordered my new vise. Took me all of 15 minutes to decide that HMH was the way for me to go. Relatively inexpensive parts, tube fly adaptability(if I need another way to spend money), and solid reviews.

PS - If anyone is interested in a Renzetti Traveler with brand new jaws, let me know. Great vise, only 2 years old, but you're guaranteed to be disappointed in their customer service. If you don't have to deal with the cs though, you'll definitely enjoy the vise (not much of a sales pitch, eh?) Let's say... $150 takes it. cool