• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

What have you been tying lately?

ted4887

• Replies 714
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ted4887

• itchmesir

• Slabasaurus

• OnAFly

Nope, never done it. I've chatted with a few people about it, and think I'm ready to give it a try. I know one local has been very productive with it, but he's the only one I've heard of doing it around here. I'll probably avoid fishing in the pitch black of night, but think it will still work in the evening. I'll be happy if I can manage to catch one fish on it.

I also had planned on giving that a try this year. But, we really need some water in our streams first. Everything is way way way too low atm IMO

Well, I put a hook in the vise last night to tie up a streamer and reached over to pick up some flashabou and heard my hook hit the bench. The screw that adjusts the jaws broke and it's no normal screw. It looks custom. Now I have to hope the Renzetti will just send me a new one. Until then, I'm not tying anything. frown

Ah bummer. I chipped my renzetti jaws not long ago. It's a minor chip and doesn't affect how it holds hooks bigger than 20. Let me know how the Renzetti customer service is. Hopefully you get one soon.

I searched for my warranty card and found it finally...completely unfilled-out crazy

I just ordered the spare parts kit from them. $8 for the kit, $16 for the shipping. Ridiculous.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I got my parts in. They gave me more parts in the kit than I thought there were and tehy didn't charge me all of the cost for shipping that the site said. All in all I think it was $11. I got my vise back up and running, so I'm happy smile

Here's a couple pike patterns using Hairline Baitfish Emulator. This stuff makes it real easy to make big minnow flies.

DSC02073.jpg

Hopefully they work out.

Good to hear the parts didn't end up costing an arm and a leg. Those are some good looking flies too. My baitfish patterns have been with craft fur. Gotta pick up some colored markers to start coloring them though. Right now, I've just got a bunch of all white flies sitting here.

I used some of that baitfish emulator recently too. did really well on the pike and bass with it this weekend. I used fish skulls on mine. The seem to go really really well with that stuff.

So, been getting a little better at this fly tying deal. It's a lot of fun... and thanks to thorne bro's sale this past weekend... I was able to pick up some essentials, yet kept the tab down to a relatively manageable level wink

Here's one that's probably in 95% of the WI Trout Fly boxes: the pass lake. This is the "wet" version is out of the book "Upper midwest flies that catch trout and how to fish them." The book describes the dry version as basically the same except the wing is wrapped under the hackle. I tied a few of those up as well.

I've not seen two of these patterns the same on the web... anyone care to share their versions?

Untitled-1.jpg

To prep for the upcoming WI opener here this weekend, I've been tying like crazy trying to replenish the box... lots of empty spaces from flies that are now occupying various trees around RedWing...

Blue Wing Olive (antron wing)

Untitled-2.jpg

A few from the other night:

90ead58c.jpg

It might sound silly since I started tying all of 3 weeks ago... but I grew frustrated with the jaws on my vise this weekend and decided it's going to be my backup/travel vise from now on. I ordered a peak rotary and it's sitting on my porch right now. Tonight should be fun.

I gave those big baitfish emulator flies the sink test to see how they looked in water. That stuff I used looks awesome in water. I wasn't thrilled with how they looked after tying, but in water, they really move nicely. The thing I didn't like is they held a little more water than U thought. It will still be better than some of the other flies I've tied and I can't wait to get them out!

That's good to hear. My new project is playing around with some articulated trout flies. I ordered a pack of the the articulated shanks from the Fish Skulls company, so once I get them in, I'll give them a test run.

here is the fly I whipped up with that baitfish emulator. Used the olive and then got wild with the Sharpies. These things really caught the eye of some pike and bass last weekend

odkSt.jpg

Finally something big enough that I could actually take a picture of it

Nice streamers FishHunter!..I just dove into that realm this week myself. Only feel comfortable posting one streamer so far, first shot at a clouser minnow.

30fc85cd.jpg

outside of that, i've mainly had trout in mind. this next week keeping opener in mind, i'll start working on lake/river gamefish patterns.

5439ce44.jpg

4a362a81.jpg

c1c6cf0b.jpg

faae68f0.jpg

Mini-Bugger.. Another hot ticket for the panfish.. also these work great dead drifted as a lead fly under an indicator...

P1060335.JPG

Step-By-Step

That'll catch some fish. I like the look of that black ice dub body. My patterns similar to that have been doing well on panfish... and pike. Pike have just been slamming them up north.

I took the last two nights off from the water to give the casting arm a break, here's a little sample of what I tied up:

Rasta Clouser

Untitled-8.jpg

First crack at a Royal Wulff (the white background hides the calf body... wings)

8810a1bd.jpg

Clouser... this one will catch me a lot of fish i think

27a25f29-1.jpg

and lastly... played around with some caddis patterns last night, settled on this deer hair pattern I like

d330345d-1-1.jpg

I'm down and out with a sinus infection/head/chest cold, so I tied up some firetiger clousers made with wig hair.

DSCN5037.jpg

I'm down and out with a sinus infection/head/chest cold, so I tied up some firetiger clousers made with wig hair.

Nice lookin clousers. Too bad about bein down with disease for the time being...

on the other hand, take your time getting better, don't rush back into things, you want to give us all some time to catch up make sure that you are fully well wink

You're right slab!!! I will take my time. I have a BWCAW trip in a week and a half I need to consider. I really want to wet a line, oh well the bigger picture matters most. Do any of you guys do Boundry Waters trips?

Down with disease and the jungles in my mind.... They're climbing up my waterfalls and swingin' on my vines

Yup.. Can't wait to go Phishin with the hat my gf is knitting me at the moment laugh

deadfishFLAT.jpg