• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

What have you been tying lately?

ted4887

My take on a "ghetto tramp" fly that I saw on the interwebs.

Mine uses 2 colors of EP fiber, flashabou, magnum flashabou, some long fiber shiny chenille that I found at Michael's, peacock herl, A silicone bass jig skirt, cross cut rabbit, 5 minute epoxy, and eyes.

Tied on a 3/0 streamer gamakatsu straight eye saltwater streamer hook.

dscf2371j.jpg

Another angle

dscf2372e.jpg

Hanging vertically, rotated picture to get the material to hang straight for a better view

dscf2373r.jpg

• Replies 714
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ted4887

• itchmesir

• Slabasaurus

• OnAFly

Hey Ted that EHC looks great... proportions are dead on, One tiny tiny word of advice. The first and most common hatches of caddis are usualy sedges with grey bodies. We also have black and brown though. Tbh I dont think it matters too much during a good hatch they will hit almost anything that hits the water.

Thanks man.

I've actually been tying a few with a grey/black blend of superfine dubbing. The grey I have seems almost too light, so I've been mixing it with some black trying to get it to darken up a bit. Once they start hatching, I'll know for sure. I'll try to get some pictures up of the others when I get the vice back out.

You ought to post some pictures up of your EHC patterns. IIRC, you tie a lot of yours with CDC. I'd be interested to see what you're look like compared to a few of mine.

Just make sure you've got macro mode(the flower thing) turned on. That will help with the quality. Holding something with solid color behind the fly will also help. I just use some blank printer paper usually.

Mainbutter - That's a gnarly looking fly man! Lots of stuff going on there. Looks like a fun one to tie

You nailed how I feel about it! The entire time I was tying it, I was telling my girlfriend just how freaking fun it was. Tons of stuff going on, hopefully it'll catch fish. We're going to hopefully take a trip to the boundary waters this summer, and I'm planning on slinging ridiculous flies like that for big pike up north.

Nice looking stuff everyone!

I recently tried some "woven" flies. I really like how they turn out with the two diff colors top and bottom...

Some good sized mayflies tied up-side down. I plan on fishing these in some fast water when the Hexs' are hatching. Not sure how they are gonna come through the water but we'll see...

full-1130-18047-009.jpg

And a killer caddis...

full-1130-18048-014.jpg

Dark, those mayflies would fish great on the Brule in the spring! Might have to tie a couple of those up myself. Great looking flies everyone! My fly tying room was taken over by my son (turns 1 month tomorrow), so there hasn't been a whole lot of flies coming off my vise lately. Soon as things settle down I'll fire it up again and start turning some out. Keep up the great work!

Couple more streamers.. and a couple of open water patterns.. i'm getting the itch for some warmwater species!

couple of the above bugger pattern with a zonker strip for the tail...

P1060166.JPG

added flash into this one..

P1060168.JPG

My first warm water specific flies i've tied.. was a take on the meat whistle ted posted.. unfortunately i didnt have a computer to check the pattern so i remembered the best i could..

P1060170.JPG

P1060174.JPG

progression to a double zonker tail and added krystal flash.. marabou and uv estaz collars...

P1060176.JPG

yeah i found some nice materials at FF.. their jig area had 100 Mustad 90* hooks for $7.. and the centipede rubber skirts in a couple different colors for a couple bucks

I took a on of Mike's classes at BobMitchel's in Lake Elmo this winter. What a great introduction to tying. Trying out some new (to me) patterns in anticipation of early season in WI.

full-37888-18216-img_20120302_002408.jpg

Very nice ties Lloyd. You're fortunate you live so close to that great resource.

Here's a minnow pattern I've been tying up. I use olive and yellow marabou with flashabou for the tail. The body is olive woolhead dubbing using dubbing loops. The head is a bit of webby hackle. Just before the bead is a bit of UV brown Ice Dub.

I comb the woolhead dubbing up and down to create the body of the fly. It ends up having the profile of a sunfish. I had pike and perch hitting this fly this afternoon.

DSC02006.jpg

I really like that fly. Must have a pretty nice action in the water. Found yourself some open water huh? I'm hoping sometime next week I can get out and look for some warmwater species on the Miss. We shall see though.

There's a couple spots around me with open water most of the year. It sure felt good to get out. That fly looked awesome in the water. The single strand of orange flashabou tied back on itself provides just enough flash and the profile was spot on when I compared it to a small sunfish. I lost my original one, but tied a few more up last night.

ooh that's getting me excited. I'm actually really hoping I can get well practiced in a good sunfish-profile EP fiber pattern cuz they look neat, but if other sunfish patterns are working then I may have more confidence when I hit the water with a new fly. Congrats on the catches.

I post some pics of patterns occasionally on my blog. Recent posts includes caddis, partridge& orange, pheasant tails, and a streamer. Also, I posed some pics of some recent Musky Flies. I have enjoyed seeing everyones patterns and have inspired me to try some new ideas.

***Please read forum policy before posting again, thanks.***

I got out just after work again tonight for 45 minutes with that fly. The perch were loving it! I'm liking that fly more and more.

Nice lookin musky flies there Fly Guy. I think I'm going to have to switch the materials I use in mine. They look good, but hold a lot of water and feel like waving around a wet sock even with a 10wt.

I was gonna fish some backwaters that opened up... but man it was windy... i really need to find water that is blocked by southerly winds

IMAG00551.jpg

Sorry I didn't realize I broke a forum rule before. Is this pic post okay? Seems pretty big. I will have to do a search for how to post pics to see where I can get them smaller.

Looks fine to me. The thin I hate about deer hair is the ridiculous mess you wind up with afterwards.

Streamers are started to get absolutely smashed. Tied up just one big ugly streamer just to fool fool around. Might upgrade this pattern a bit once I see if it actually catches a fish.

TheBigUgly.jpg

Tossed this guy together this morning before heading out.. Caught me my only fish of the day.. a short.. but chunky pike... I call it Fire Bunny

P1060203.JPG

Geez, getting all tricky with the flies! Nice job man. Getting out tomorrow to give it a test run?