• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

What have you been tying lately?

ted4887

Nice SBS redneck. Thinkin I'll give this a shot on my tube fly deal here when I start tyin for some of the Hex hatches this summer.

Tied this one over coffee yesterday mornin thinking of warmer days.

P4072490.jpg

• Replies 714
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ted4887

• itchmesir

• Slabasaurus

• OnAFly

Yeah, those will do. Just find a little current seam and start swingin!

I'll be in Asia from April 29th to May 11, so I'll miss the STC opener. Too bad, I've got a couple spots I wanted to hit up that produced for me last year. I got a little better understanding of river fishing with the time I spent, so I should be a little more dangerous this year...hopefully.

full-28076-31894-20130407_133626.jpg

This was just a teaser from this weekend. Might be a while before I have to to get this out to the river.

In Asia!?! Bring that fly rod with you and see what you can catch!

Ps - I'd gladly trade you jobs for a week if you would like to stay here. [

Pss - I'm going to try some of those clousers out in about 5 minutes.

Going to back to some basics. Planning on targeting some walleyes with these.

Ha, funny timing. I whipped out a bunch of those yesterday during the wild game for the same reason... walleyes. Though my pic is arranged with the clousers in a half circle... no big deal.

I haven't found a better fly for river eyes.

Onafly... Asia is a big place, whereabouts you gonna be? One could have a helluva time over there with a fly rod and a camera...

I've considered it, but the thought of lugging around a fly rod through 3 countries and 8 flights just doesn't sound fun it to me. If I were going to be in one spot for longer, I might, but as is I'm just on the move too much.

Wow it's been slow here. Anyone doin anything lately? This weather is killing me. Might have to brave the snow/sleet/rain/wind this weekend at the dam. Water's so cloudy, I doubt I'll catch anything, but who knows.

I've been kind of wallowing in self pity... this extended winter is really not cool. i guess you could call me a negative creep...

The perch clouser patterns i tied up look about as clean as the wild passing game last night sick

Here are the Chartreuse n white ones that turned out ok.

P4062468.jpg

Tied up some Gamakatsu B10S with rattles for my tube flies for pike. I remember how awesome rattle lures were on pike from my gear days... figure it couldn't hurt.

I still haven't figrued out how to add these rattles to most other flies without messing up the symmetry on em or makin em too bulky... oh well.

630AE32F-E4B9-472D-BB0C-E662CDC9128F-441

I've got the same problem with them. I recall someone saying you can use some tubing to try and hang them off the back of the fly, but I haven't tried that yet. I pretty much just gave up on them for now.

• 2 weeks later...

Glow flies. With 50"+ of snow this month and most the waters covered in ice I've been tying. Glow flies have been a new experiment - I think it will produce some dark time browns, cohos, walleyes, bullheads, and hopefully a Burbot.

Generic #8 BH Nymph and #4 FUP-styled fly

nymph%2520-%2520FUP.JPG

Some standard streamers in Glow (#8 up to #1/0):

streamers.JPG

#2 spoonfly (a redfish classic, bet will catch some coho) and a rattle-agent orange type hybrid - looks goofy but so do egg filled minnows so it might work out.

odd-flies.JPG

Some Galloup-inspired glow streamers. variants of the Heifer Groomer, Tips-up, and Sex Dungeon:

galloup-style.JPG

If Cthulhu were to take over Galloup's dreams I think he would produce this (which I call Cthulhu Fhtagn)- a bit like a squid fly crossed with a backwards tips-up:

cthulhu.JPG

Stocked night stalking box:

box.JPG

Glowing...

box-glow.JPG

Everything but the eyes, hooks, and some of the thread glows (ran out of glow thread).

Ahh yes, glowflies. Mine worked pretty well last year... tied em up hopin for cats but ended up with walleyes. Go figure.

Watched the NFL draft for the first time last night. Interesting first round that's for sure. Got some ties in though.

"Nymph Leech" (Note the sideways eyes. I like the way this rides, not sure if it matters or not though)

P4172516.jpg

P4252583.jpg

In olive, with a bit of chartreuse dubbin at the head...

P4252584.jpg

An old standard

P4252585.jpg

Hendrickson

P4252582.jpg

Pass lake dry (Size 16)

First few steps

P4252587.jpg

Finished

P4252594.jpg

Now that it appears winter has finally decided to make its exit, I may be able to use some of these...

Slab, You clearly haven't seen the outlook into next week. 40s/50s again. looks like we'll have consistent spring weather by summer. Nice ties by the way. Interesting bead chain setup.

Ha, yeah.. "spring"... crud. Just checked the forecast again... dippin into the 40's? whaaat?

Onafly - yep, I've been using UV Dub in peacock and black peacock for most of theses leeches. I use a small piece of marabou for the tail and take some of the dubbing lengthwise and tie it in around it to give it a flash. The hackle wrapped in there just adds a little body... makes it look pretty dang neat.

Not sure where I'm gonna head to this weekend, you gonna try to make it out a bit before headin to asia?

Nope, I have my boy this weekend, so my fishing opportunities are pretty much non-existent with a 2 year old.

• 2 weeks later...

Scud ala Jefe SBS

Eyes around the front quarter of the shank

null_zps52041272.jpg

Tie in your wire (optional for effect)

null_zps8ac2b159.jpg

Tie in your ribbon

null_zps67dc1171.jpg

Form your dubbing loop

null_zpsa4d5e804.jpg

Fill your dubbing loop (keep it light -- less is more)

null_zps954a4033.jpg

Wrap....mmmmmm, i'm gettin excited now

null_zpse16f0f28.jpg

KEY!! a thin line of super glue up the back to harden the scud and secure the ribbon -- this also gives the scud a nice dark hue on the top of the fly (be careful -- if you use too much dubbing, your fly may start smoking or even ignite in flames -- seirosy...no joke. ask slab about the science on that one.)

null_zpsa575011e.jpg

Pull the ribbon forward (this will immediately lock to the super glue -- be sure you pull taught and straight)

null_zpsb85ad736.jpg

Comb down all possible fibers for a nice leggy/buggy presentation

null_zps582d6913.jpg

Wrap your wire -- i comb the fibers down on every rotation to insure maximum bugginess

null_zps6fcf476f.jpg

It's getting close. Feel free to stop right here unless you feel an irresistable need to clean your pipes.

This last step is key for creating a fresh hatch look -- draw a line of head cement on top of the ribbon (i prefer using a needle applicator to make this effect as bulky as possible

null_zps476aa360.jpg

Needle in the eye to insure that i can actually fish with this fly

null_zps895073fe.jpg

Once dry, comb once more

null_zps91113f5a.jpg

Final result

null_zpsab176fad.jpg

null_zpsc4c37d0e.jpg

its called 'scud back'

i have an 1/8" bag of clear that i picked up for $1.80 at my local fly shop

Nice SBS.

What do you think of that scud back stuff, Bam?

Personally, I hated using it. I think it's way too fragile and tough to work with. I would find myself constantly biting through the stuff with 70 denier, or 8/0 thread. Hell, sometimes I would even cut through it with my wire ribbing. And this was the case in my clear, and orange scudback product. My "scud backs" consist of a sliver of ziplock bag.

Nice... I like the hardshell shihtzu flowage here man. Glad you were able to put a stop to that exothermic reaction before you burned the house down smile

Ted, the ziplock method work pretty well? I heard of that, but honestly I don't think I have ever even tried to tie a scud, just never use em.

I probably should, I bet I'd catch more trouts...

Weird...I've had absolutely no issues with mine other than not knowing how to use it for about the first 6 months :P

This scud is the only fly I use it on, and I'm wrapping it to the shank with a 120 denier thread. Other than the shank wrap at the very beginning, I don't even give it any more thread or wire wraps until it's been superglued to the fly, in which case, it's pretty hard already.

Solid write-up Bamskee.

Hope you saw my message about the carp flies. Some day, you will get them. Some day.....

Stupid USPS....

I visited the Bob Mitchell shop over the weekend and purchased some tying supplies.

Size 22 female.

702C1E3D-33F9-42BD-BC26-6307DF60D6E0-565

It has been a long time since I tied this small. Had to change a few techniques but it all worked in the end. I don't remember my fingers being this large & clumsy. Also tied some BWOs and assorted terrestrials. I hope to make a run down to the SE in July.

Nice, them small patterns are tricky.

What'd you think of Bob Mitchell's? I haven't been in there yet since the new owners moved in.

Seems like a pretty solid operation. The new owner is real down to earth and glad to help someone new to the area. They had about half the stuff on my wish list but he said he is working on building up the shop stocks. Future plans include moving to the space on the other end of the building to double the available shop space.

Stick yourself while tying? Never thought I would...Gamy B10s size 2 streamer hook buried in the old forearm:

full-18702-33216-img_0519.jpg

The fly turned out nicely after the ordeal

I heard of pierced ears n stuff, but a forearm? Us flyguys certainly do things differently that's for sure smile

how in the world did you manage that one? Yikes!