• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

What have you been tying lately?

ted4887

I wrapped the thin in then covered it with marabou and looped dubbing. The fly looks kinda goofy, but not so bad I guess. I have the feeling the rattle is going to break within a half hour of me fishing it.

I tied something up like that... It catches sheepshead pretty well, pike too.

The 'best lookin' flies that I tie rattles into are meat whistles.

The only place on the hook I've found to tie into that makes any sense is the shank... though that tube/extension idea sounds pretty slick for a fly, even if it sounds like it'd be destroyed in seconds.

I am going to try to incorporate some rattles into some minnow flies I tie up tonight, we'll see how that goes.

• Replies 714
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ted4887

• itchmesir

• Slabasaurus

• OnAFly

I went to go fishing tonight and realized I left my 6wt in my dad's boat. So, I was left with my 5wt trout rod. I'm not even going to try throwing my uglyass rattle fly with that.

I did tie up some blond versions of a garbage pile. My bullhead catch went way down and my carp catch went way up. Caught on in the front mouth and one in the back mouth grin I'll take a tailhooked fish once in a while.

I also got some other, flashier dubbing which looks more like a mylar based dubbing. The GPs I tied with it probably won;t be much for catching carp, but they look like a crappie killer. I'll have to try it out. I also need to get a new camera a put some picks of these things up. Too many other thing find their way in front of it in the budget list.

Playin with some baitfish ideas.

First one

Baitfish3.jpg

Next try

Baitfish2.jpg

last one from last night - I like this one a lot, except the part where I trimmed the peacock herl too dang short.

Baitfish1.jpg

Looking good, seems like everyone around here has bucktail fever lately. try tying them in absurdly larger proportions for predatory fish. My new motto has become "If it aint 8 inches it dont catch fishes"

It really does have a nice ring to it.

Not sure if this is 8". It's big-ish. I realize now that I forgot to order material clips for my vise. that would have helped out some last night.

what a terrible pic though. Tyin up some more of these over football sunday, should have some nicer pics then.

Skipart1.jpg

Yup. Hard to disagree with that.

Not to mention I'm going to hook my ear before I get tired anyway.

I wonder how it would work ice fishing... heh.

those will get some big trout.

Here's a couple of my latest top one I tied yesterday morning waiting for kick off.The fire tiger is from this evening.

One thing I had forgoten all about when I spin fished is the kick in the gut you feel when you stick an 8.00 Rapala to a log 6 ft under water. Thanks to these big streamers I can now replicate that feeling with a fly rod.

sFRNF.jpg

One thing I had forgoten all about when I spin fished is the kick in the gut you feel when you stick an 8.00 Rapala to a log 6 ft under water. Thanks to these big streamers I can now replicate that feeling with a fly rod.

Haha!

10"?!?!? Wow. What size hooks are you tying those on? I'm guessing big, something 3/0 or larger? Also, are they articulated?

ya they are articulated. Front hook is a 4/0 Daichi 2461. Back hook is a 2/0 Gamakatsu B10s stinger. Those are without a doubt my 2 favorite streamer hooks In smaller sizes for other stuff obviously. Gonna try my to stick a muskie with one of those things on Sat. The back of my boat is still open if your up for it.

Nice ties guys. Those 10 inchers look... well, they look awesome, and spendy!

Monday Night Football is a great time to tie some flies up. I like the double header thing too... I think I tied close to 25 carp flies up last night.

I digress.

here's some carp crack.

P9071299-1.jpg

I've been tying a fly here and there. Mostly damsel fly patterns and trying to mess with a tandem that looks natural and is tie-able. I'll post a pic if I can get a decent one with the equipment I've got.

• 2 weeks later...

When you are sick, don't go exploring new areas until you're better. You might get pneumonia like I did. Though... I did land a nice brookie in a non-designated stream, that was neat. Anyway. Since I haven't been able to fish, I've been at the bench for a while.

Finally replenished my wooly bugger stash. I was all out.

P9171336-1_zpsa2067c8e.jpg

3D2920E9-F5AC-432C-8628-3768CDA0626E-125

Then tried some steelhead patterns. Here's a royal coachman, with the top wing short. Gimme a break, this was my first one. I could not find my goose quill, had to settle with duck, which isn't long enough in my opinion.

P9201345_zps6d540232.jpg

and this one... The Showgirl - typically a winter run pattern. I just thought it looked fun.

P9201346_zpseb677d8f.jpg

Thanks guys.

I was thinking the same thing about the showgirls. I picked up some other color marabou as well to do some orange/red, orange/pink... etc.

here's a variant of a pattern I saw Davie McPhail tie up. I like the proportions on this one. Sparse is good. The only isue is that dang thread above the head i missed.

P9231393_zps8de4ad2c.jpg

and some pattern I don't know the name of

GreenComet_zps5395a368.jpg

I tied 15 flies up during football yesterday... in these patterns.

P9231403_zps9693aba6.jpg

and subsequently placed an order with Allen Co for more hooks smile

Also ordered a jungle cock cape and some custom died mallard flanks... these flies are just fun to tie up.

Well, earlier this week as I was headed down to Preston for some work and fishing I realized my trout box had gone missing. I thought for sure it was in a my new gear bag... nope. Fly tying desk? No. In my waders, or one of my fly vests? Nothing. It obviously grew legs and walked away. So unfortunately, my last few days has been spent starting a new box essentially from scratch. What a bummer. Tying hares ears, pheasant tails, scuds, and brassies is work for November and December, NOT the last week of September. However, after a few solid hours of tying this week, I've finally managed to put together a respectable box that should last me through my weekend trip.

P9270608.jpg

P9270609.jpg

How many of you have ever lost a fly box?

On a side note - If anyone finds a clear, double sided SA box around Whitewater or East Indian, please let me know. I will offer a reward for its safe return. Seriously, I don't want to tie all those tricos and midges again.

I lost one before I started tying flies, so that one hurt especially bad. It was filled with about $80 in flies I just ordered about a month earlier. cry

I literally spent 20 minutes looking for a fly box in my boat once. I even started going around the lake to see if I knocked it in the water. Turns out, it was under an open hatch cover. grin

Never lost a fly box... yet.

Nice start there... though not including a pass lake or three may have been a detriment to your cause. If I'm up north this weekend I'll give ya a call, I have some extras.

Some of last nights football flies.

salmonfunbadpic-1.jpg

Nice flies slab.

Great idea, Luke! I don't know if my thingamabobber is quite big enough to handle it. Would be worth a shot I think though. Now.... casting it with my 3 weight is a whole separate problem.

Sunday, I'm going to have Bohen critique your musky flies just so you know. I'll pass along the grade cool

• 1 month later...

We'll Call these "Ruination Stonefly Nymphs" (Not really original patterns, but tweaks of old goodies)

These should get a steelfish to munch on some grindage.

This pic is not a very good one. But it's the materials used (except the pepper. That was for my snack)

PA291569-1.jpg

A sample of ruination

PA301594-1.jpg

This one's more just because I like my new camera... nothing too fancy, tweaked out PT nymph.

PA301592-1-1.jpg