• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

What have you been tying lately?

ted4887

• Replies 714
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ted4887

• itchmesir

• Slabasaurus

• OnAFly

I love The Wire. That's one of the best TV shows ever. I could definitely do some serious tying while watching that. Nice looking flies btw.

Pretty easy patterns... I'm sure you can copy them just fine smile Probably wouldn't hurt to add some buckshot rattles to some of em too.

Agreed on the wire... finished up the 4th season after fishin yesterday before the open coverage started.

Tied a few of these from DeadHead on the fly patterns thread: Buffalo Soljah

e57163d5-1.jpg

Hopefully this'll catch a carp or two. Or something in the river that isn't a pike...

Ugh... Not much fishing.. But has given me time to play with patterns and fill up the fly box...

Soft Hackle Peacock w/ red butt

full-29372-21500-p1060489.jpg

Danger Baby

full-29372-21501-p1060491.jpg

Rainbow Warrior

full-29372-21502-p1060519.jpg

full-29372-21503-p1060520.jpg

full-29372-21504-p1060521.jpg

Haha, Nice. I like the pics of the fly boxes, neat lookin patterns there.

full-29372-21501-p1060491.jpg

I can't decide if this reminds me more of the Riddler, or Carrot top in a bad golf outfit...

I dig it.

It works well too.. i've caught some of my biggest trout on this fly.. tie in reverse.. from bead to hook..

*standard nymph hook 10-14 and brass bead to match

*8 or so wraps of lead.. enough to cover 3/4 of the hook shank

*build a layer of chartreuse thread

*tie in shuck yarn bout 1/4 down the shank( trim after wrapping peacock hurl)

*tie in 4-6 peacock hurl behind the bead

*wrap towards the hook.. i wrap down on the butt of the shuck yarn to pull it down then tuck the peacock hurl behind it to stick it up at an angle

*tie off at the end of the lead wrap

*lay down a couple layers of thread 1/3 way down the hook bend

*whip finish

ugh.. you know your fly tying spending is a lil ridiculous when you find 3 spools of red wire in brassie size while organizing your thread drawer.. haha!.. note to self.. don't buy any red wire for a long time

yoru only fault is the organizing part.... My fly tying desk looks like a cock fighting ring that had a grand melee between a pheastant, Squirell, a rabbit and about 5 diffrent colored chickens.

yoru only fault is the organizing part.... My fly tying desk looks like a cock fighting ring that had a grand melee between a pheastant, Squirell, a rabbit and about 5 diffrent colored chickens.

Lol!

Let's see what everyone has for a tying station! I'm out of town the whole week for work, but will post mine this weekend.

Wow. That's just flat out impressive.

This UV Epoxy stuff is cool. Adds an entire dimension to detail work... and it doesn't really add much time to the process.

More nymphs...

0525e11a-1.jpg

Another angle, this one captures the pass lake dry i was messin with:

e7fec2ae.jpg

Pheasant Tail nymph

892cd7aa-1.jpg

good looking PTs.. I'm lazy with my PT's and never tie in the wingcase or legs...

Here is a fly that's inspiration was taken from OnAFly's tying desk photo...

the "PBR" fly.. it's a take on a lightning bug pattern

full-29372-21553-p1060534.jpg

I have to get some of that UV enamel...that stuff looks nice! In the meantime, I just bought a 9wt so am OCDing over weighty flies. All bucktail minnows this week:

8a2e2139.jpg

64bf919d.jpg

32e79a4f.jpg

Ich, I like that PBR one too. Makes me thirsty.

Here's a take on a meat whistle I've been workin on, cought some moderate sized largies on the new TFO 9 wt in the chartreuse version of this one.

MeatWhistleFinal.jpg

This thing looks really, really cool in the water.

Nice Meat Whistle.. I love the pattern.. one of my go-to patterns

Some Hot Wire Prince Nymphs and variations...

full-29372-21731-p1060538.jpg

full-29372-21732-p1060537.jpg

Rainbow Brite

full-29372-21733-p1060536.jpg

Blood Prince

full-29372-21734-p1060535.jpg

Soft Hackle Squirrel Nymph

full-29372-21735-p1060539.jpg

Tequeely.. A must have for smallies

full-29372-21736-p1060540.jpg

Ha. Rainbow Brite is actually what I thought of before reading the name of that one.

Nice nymphs man. I gotta work on my princes, I stink at tying the wings on neatly. Probably just because I haven't tied too many up.

Ha. Rainbow Brite is actually what I thought of before reading the name of that one.

Nice nymphs man. I gotta work on my princes, I stink at tying the wings on neatly. Probably just because I haven't tied too many up.

I have a much easier time setting my biots in my hackle pliers.. and then tying them in.. makes it a helluva lot easier...

Tequeely.. A must have for smallies

I'm glad you've come to the dark side!

Foam frog.... looking thingy. Not great, but I think it will fool a bucketmouth in some slop.

Anyone have any proven from patterns? Spinning deer hair is fun, but I would lke something a bit... simpler.

P6270349.jpg

Lol, after you posted that I realized that my frog has no front legs. One too many Two Hearted Ales at dinner I fear...

• 2 weeks later...

Moving down south soon, so been going nuts with the meat whistles. This is my only pattern tied so far (very limited bunny selection) but has thus far proved effective.

ba0b2aaa.jpg

Also been working my hand at a new wooly pattern. Body wrapped in flashabou...because sometimes you just need that extra push. This one goes to 11.

efe554a1.jpg

c27bbb6d.jpg

I tied this one up trying to make a fly that would imitate a dragonfly nymph. It doesn't have quite the right profile, but the carp seem to love it.

DSC02315.jpg

DSC02317.jpg

It's super simple to tie.

Hook: TMC2457

Head: Beadchain Eyes

Body: Hareline Woolhead Dubbing

Collar: Partridge Soft Hackle

I tie in the eyes leaving a bit of room between the hook eye. Make a dubbing loop and lay in about a 3" long tuft of the woolhead dubbing. Wrap up to the eyes and tie in your soft hackle. wrap your soft hackle and continue to wrap the loop around the eyes a bit to build a head. Tie off and brush out the wool. Fly is done.

I've had a good amount of success with this fly lately. Lots of takes sight fishing them on a clearer lake and my PB blind casting into murky shallows. I had a fish move 3 feet to hit this thing once.

Now it just needs a name, unless someone has already invented this fly. In that case please tell me before I look like a total silly-me.

Nice tie OAF. I'll probably steal that one for my own boxes.

Here's a sculpin pattern I tied up tonight.

P7110390.jpg

lemme know how those sculpin heads turn out I was thinking about giving them a shot. Man they are heavy though

I'll let you know Luke. I'm glad they will be. Hook point up, and it should scoot right along the bottom. Perfectttttttttt. Now, if they catch fish is a whole different ballgame.

I bet they'd add great movement to the Meat Whistles too. I might throw one together just to test that theory out.

Almost got flooded out on the Zumbro today when they opened up the dam. Water came up very quickly, almost flash flood like. Practically had to swim back across the river to find a spot to get out. It was really too bad, because as soon as I'd figured out the days smallmouth holding pattern, it was time to get out of dodge.