• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Big Kandiyohi Ice

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tonykummrow

• bowfisher

• bigbad401

• JacobKumper

We took the house out this weekend off of park 2. 8 inches of good clear ice. Lots of activity with wheel houses and portables. Not sure how many houses are left now but we left ours out blocked up on 6x6s to prevent freezing in.

went out last night to check the ice. still 8 inches but ice is more of a white color now nut still seemed good, there was a wheelhouse out there and our house which is still out there

The wheel house that was out last night was a smaller one. Probably a spear house it was pretty shallow. Our house is 7'6" by 10' and weighs around 1200lbs. Not sure on the exact weight never had it on a scale

So you guys are saying that the ice is safe yet? I am planning on heading out there this weekend? How far are you out on the lake don't care where but just to check if ice is safe farther out. Thanks

jacobkuemper and I will be heading out tonight. will post about the ice tonight after we get out there and set up

Out on the lake now. Ice is solid and clear almost 9 inches. House with the old yellow 3 wheeler out front. Stop on by

Not much last night. Pretty dead few perch in the morning and a few small eyes in the middle of the night probably around 1the am. Be back out here for another go round tonight

• 2 weeks later...

I am going to ask a very dumb question so forgive me, but what exactly is a swirl hole? I was planning a trip to Big Kandi this weekend and was wondering what the thickness of the ice is right now in most spots. Thanks.

its when the water that is on top of the ice finds a pre existing hole or crack. all the water then swirls down the hole kind of like a toilet flushing, making the hole bigger and bigger till the water in that area is cleared. (maybe someone can it explain it better) and the ice is between 9 and ten inches. saw a little mazda pickup out there this morning.

Tony hows the ice looking out there? Plan on getting out Friday after I get home from lake of the woods. I'm up here right now. Ice is good here but I have been hearing that the weather is really warm down there. Just wondering how the ice is looking. Still clear ice?

Ice is still a good clear ten inches fishing hasn't been too good the last couple days. But I think this crappy warm weather has a lot to do with it. Fish don't seem to be moving around much

I heard there were some thin spots on the lake, near the point of the island, from a guy that lives on the lake. Has the recent weather made the ice not so good?

The ice is "not good" on any area lake. Use extreme caution. Wheelers and fish houses going down every day it seems. Just use common sense and watch for changing conditions.

Tony, you going to be out there tonight? Is that your skid house thats usually out there? Im planning on going out there this afternoon.

I will be out there tonight. and yes thats our skid house with the 2 tone siding that sits out there all year long. It has a deck on the front. I will post about the ice and conditions when We get out there and set up tonight. Stop on by, yellow 3 wheeler out front, cant miss it.

Hey I'm new to the forum but not to ice fishing. Gonna head out there tomorrow for the morning-afternoon. Where have you been getting on the lake at Tony? How's northern lights beach access for getting on the lake? Heard there is a couple bad heaves out there. Also has the bite picked up? Patiently waiting on your report. Thanks guys!

Ice is still good. Just don't leave your house over your unfrozen holes. Don't know about northern lights. Just know there is a winter access. We are west of the park 21 access almost to thecarp trap lights will be on in our house. Not sure about the bite yet. Still nothing. Put lines in about twenty minutes ago. Pm me or call. 320 905 6355

we had an ok night. we didnt limit out or anything but got a few decent eyes, all caught at spontaneous times, they did not seem to have a certain time where they bit the most, hopefully the warm weather today and again tomorrow does not make the ice any worse.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   The big basin, otherwise known as Big Traverse Bay, is ice free.  Zippel Bay and Four Mile Bay are ice free as well.  Everything is shaping up nicely for the MN Fishing Opener on May 11th. With the walleye / sauger season currently closed, most anglers are targeting sturgeon and pike.  Some sturgeon anglers are fishing at the mouth of the Rainy River, but most sturgeon are targeted in Four Mile Bay or the Rainy River.  Hence, pike are the targeted species on the south shore and various bays currently.   Pike fishing this time of year is a unique opportunity, as LOW is border water with Canada, the pike season is open year round. The limit is 3 pike per day with one being able to be more than 40 inches. All fish 30 - 40 inches must be released. Back bays hold pike as they go through the various stages of the spawn.  Deadbait under a bobber, spinners, spoons and shallow diving crankbaits are all viable options.   Four Mile Bay, Bostic Bay and Zippel Bay are all small water and boats of various sizes work well. On the Rainy River...  Great news this week as we learned sturgeon will not be placed on the endangered species list by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.     The organization had to make a decision by June 30 and listing sturgeon could have ended sturgeon fishing.  Thankfully, after looking at the many success stories across the nation, including LOW and the Rainy River, sturgeon fishing and successful sturgeon management continues.   A good week sturgeon fishing on the Rainy River.  Speaking to some sturgeon aficionados, fishing will actually get even better as water temps rise.     Four Mile Bay at the mouth of the Rainy River near the Wheeler's Point Boat Ramp is still producing good numbers of fish, as are various holes along the 42 miles of navigable Rainy River from the mouth to Birchdale.   The sturgeon season continues through May 15th and resumes again July 1st.   Oct 1 - April 23, Catch and Release April 24 - May 7, Harvest Season May 8 - May 15, Catch and Release May 16 - June 30, Sturgeon Fishing Closed July 1 - Sep 30, Harvest Season If you fish during the sturgeon harvest season and you want to keep a sturgeon, you must purchase a sturgeon tag for $5 prior to fishing.    One sturgeon per calendar year (45 - 50" inclusive, or over 75"). Most sturgeon anglers are either a glob of crawlers or a combo of crawlers and frozen emerald shiners on a sturgeon rig, which is an 18" leader with a 4/0 circle hook combined with a no roll sinker.  Local bait shops have all of the gear and bait. Up at the NW Angle...  A few spots with rotten ice, but as a rule, most of the Angle is showing off open water.  In these parts, most are looking ahead to the MN Fishing Opener.  Based on late ice fishing success, it should be a good one.  
    • leech~~
      Nice fish. I moved to the Sartell area last summer and just thought it was windy like this everyday up here? 🤭
    • Rick G
      Crazy windy again today.... This is has been the norm this spring. Between the wind and the cold fronts, fishing has been more challenging for me than most years.  Panfish have been moving in and out of the shallows quite a bit. One day they are up in the slop, the next they are out relating to cabbage or the newly sprouting lilly pads.  Today eye guy and I found them in 4-5 ft of water, hanging close to any tree branches that happened to be laying in the water.  Bigger fish were liking a 1/32 head and a Bobby Garland baby shad.   Highlight of the day way this healthy 15incher
    • monstermoose78
    • monstermoose78
      As I typed that here came a hen.  IMG_7032.mov   IMG_7032.mov
    • monstermoose78
      So far this morning nothing but non turkeys. 
    • monstermoose78
      Well yesterday I got a little excited and let a turkey get to close and I hit the blind!!
    • smurfy
      good......you?? living the dream..in my basement playing internet thug right now!!!!!! 🤣 working on getting the boat ready.......bought a new cheatmaster locator for the boat so working on that.   waiting for warmer weather to start my garden!!!
    • monstermoose78
      How is everyone doing? Holy moly it’s chilly this morning I stayed in bed and will hunt later today when it warms up.
    • monstermoose78
      Guys slim creek on burntside is the place to load up on smelt

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.