• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Appeldoorn's Sunset Bay Ice and Road conditions

Paul Waldowski

Paul; This will be my first trip to Mille Lacs, can we access via your resort and get our bait and minnows all right there plus any important info?

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paul Waldowski

• leech~~

• broman

• TruthWalleyes

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders
In a week or so I don't think that would be a problem.
So you aren't sure if we will be able to drive on yet by this Sat even with this cold snap happening for the next three days? I sure would hate to try and move the GTG we had planed this Sat up there again. frown

Leech, they were allowing 1/2 tons or less last weekend.

I was out last weekend as well and we drove out 2 SUVs. One of them with a 16 foot wheelhouse attached. Ice was about 18 inches where we were.

Thanks guys I hope Paul can chime in before to late as I would hate to cancel the GTG all together. frown

Quote:
Thanks guys I hope Paul can chime in before to late as I would hate to cancel the GTG all together. frown

Leech not sure what you are looking for...as stated above, we are currently open to 1/2 ton trucks. I expect, but will not guarantee that we will be open to 3/4 tons.

Leech not sure what you are looking for...as stated above, we are currently open to 1/2 ton trucks. I expect, but will not guarantee that we will be open to 3/4 tons.

Thanks Paul, just trying to get as many guys out there for the GTG as we can and throw you a little Biz, I guess. wink

Are you by chance letting wheel houses out on your road? I have a Toyota Tacoma & pull a decent weighing 8x14. I'm considering Mille Lacs instead of pulling all the way to Red, but I'm not comfortable going out on an access unless I talk with someone who knows what's happening out there. I'd appreciate your feedback & completely understand if this is something you don't do. I'd just like to get into some Perch & have a decent chance at Walleye overnight.

jjohnson5150,

You would be able to take that rig out without a problem. You can see a map of our roads and area Here

Hi Paul, I am thinking I can come up to your place and help make up for some lost time. I have an S10 Blazer and a house at about 2500lbs. Can I use your roads this Saturday morning and get out to were the fish are? My lab is itching to spend some time in the wheelhouse instead of the back sled in the porty. Mother Nature seems to be cooperating a little better this week.

Thanks for your time and hope to run into you early A.M Saturday. Take care.

Hello, I'm coming out to Mille Lacs for the first time. I'm going out of appledoorns Saturday was wondering if anyone had any tips on either some structure or depth the fish may be biting in? I Really wanna pull out my first eye through the ice. Any help is greatly appreciated. smile Thanks

Anyone Know what time appledorns opens on saturday couldnt find it on there site. And has the bite been slow or decent anything would help?

Last time I called there he said they open at 6:30 on the weekends. Did well out deep off of doe's reef a couple weeks ago, last weekend wasn't as good. No walleyes.

Ice and road conditions- 1/21/2012

We currently have 18-19 inches of ice on all of our roads. There are currently no bridges in use. All of of our rentals are out, as well as all of our private houses.

Roads out to Shaw's Reef, Doe Island and also out past two mile are open to all but the heaviest of traffic. @ mile to Highway Bar (July Bar) is currently open to wheelers and sleds only. There is a crack halfway between 2 mile and Highway bar that is keeping it limited to very light traffic. If that crack holds together in this strong wind we will be throwing a bridge over it on Monday and opening up that road to light vehicle traffic.

Please keep you speed on all ice roads to 10 mph or less. Thank you.

Paul ; thank you for all the help tips and advice today on our first trip to the pond. Fishing was slow at best but was expected with the current weather conditions. Fish seemed spooky as we set up about 100 yds south of the road by your last mine of shacks. Would mark fish but as soon as the guy with the plow made his run they disappeared and when he went back towards shore they came back. Still they were aggressive, managed a few perch and one eye of 15 inches all came on gold forage minnow tipped with minnow heads.

Really had to work hard today for some nice perch. Found a lot of fish in my normal locations, but they weren't biting. Kept moving around shallow and deep, finally found a school of cooperative jumbos in 30+ FOW silty with sparse rocks. The big fish were spitting up baby crawdads, first time I've ever seen that. Naturally, the spit up craws were the best bait choice, gill pill with waxies turned 'em too!

Moved into shallow rocks for evening bite, one 13" walleye to show for it. A lot of lookers though.

Coming up this weekend with the girlfriend hoping to get some fish. I'm staying in house 10. Was up the weekend of the 13th at a buddies shack out of fishermans wharf on shaws reef and didn't get a thing, we saw one small perch on the camera. Funny thing was was that Appeldoorns house 10 was about 50 yards to the west of where we were. Kind of hoping the rental has moved. Either way I will be bringing the porty so we can find us some fishes as I did last time.

How is that Hyw bar crack holding up?

Me and a friend did our first ever ice fishing trip last Sunday through Tuesday. Paul and his staff were wonderful and very helpful. We ended up with about 4 walleyes we lost a few more on rattle reels. We also got 1 eel pout and 4 jumbos. All of our fish were on rattle reels minus two perch that hit small spoons. We set our rattle reels with a size 10 red hook and about 18 inches off the bottom. All the fish came between 8pm and 2 am. Thanks to Paul and his staff again. I hope to be back soon.

Thanks everyone for the kind words.

We have now extended our road out to Highway Bar (aka 4 mile) It took us most of the day with V-Plows, Straight Blades, A skidder and a ton of pickaxe work, but we now have a few rentals on it, as well as a few of our private customers.

Hey Paul, was at your place yesterday and WOW, you've got alot going on there. Did'nt realize you were adding on, how many units and when are you aiming for opening them?

Quote:
Hey Paul, was at your place yesterday and WOW, you've got alot going on there. Did'nt realize you were adding on, how many units and when are you aiming for opening them?

GFNER,

laugh

In the big building we have a Conference Center, Catering Kitchen, Gift Shop, New Office, C-Store, Guest Laundry, 2 Meeting Rooms, Honeymoon Suite and a New Shower House.

The smaller building has 5 motel Rooms on the Second Floor and the Ground Floor is a Tri-plex of Cabins.

The other building will be a 10 Bedroom, 6 bath Reunion House

Opening date for all building projects is May 1st, 2012