• GUESTS

    If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

    This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

  • Join In - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

     
      You know what we all love...

      The same things you do!!!! Share what you love & enjoy in the outdoors as well as thank those whose posts you 'appreciate.'

      Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
Paul Waldowski

Appeldoorn's Sunset Bay Ice and Road conditions

Recommended Posts

desert_bulls

Paul,

Where are you guys putting your houses at?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
leech~~

Hello Paul. I'm coming up that way tomorrow.

Am I driving out or walking? confused Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
broman

I spoke to Paul earlier today. No driving with cars or trucks. ATVs or snowmobiles are allowed. He mentioned there is an open crack before Shaws reef that they bridged for ATV access, but you won't be able to tow a wheelhouse over it. He mentioned that his current houses where stuck on the other side. So, basically, walking, ATV, or snowmobile from what he told me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
leech~~

Thanks broman. I'm still going up and walking out some where Friday. I just hope we get some ice by next Sat the 7th so we can still try to have the Flasher Shoot out up there. Anyone driving out on Cove bay?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Paul Waldowski

As much as I hate to say this but if you thought about coming up today to do a little fishing, we have absolutely horrid conditions this am. White out conditions are creating zero visibility and the wind is only suppose to get stronger as the day progresses. Best for safety sake that folks stay on shore today.

We will be reassessing ice conditions tomorrow am and see what kind of damage, if any the ice sheet suffered in our area.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
queenpdog

As dissapointed as I am to hear this (we had a reservation for tonight) I am really pleased to hear that safety is first priority. Much more important than making a buck. We are sitting here trying to decide what to do with a free night. Feeling pretty bummed out, but glad we will be safe and sound. Paul, we'll get up there later in the season. Can't wait.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
northender

Good call Paul.

I just drove through Garrison and, believe it or not, with 20-30 mph. winds blowing away from shore, there are several dozen anglers on the ice, not far from a big expanse of open water.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Paul Waldowski

Corey and queenpdog

Sorry we couldn't make it happen for you and your groups today but just too many things could go wrong with the way the wind is blowing and the lake still having open water and all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bturck

Geez really sorry to hear that your trips got scrubbed. As mentioned by Paul safety still has to be the prime concern. I've been on Millie when the ice conditions were not an issue, and had the whiteout experiance, it is not fun. So considering this years ice the decision by Paul was absolutley the correct one. queenpdog, you'll make that trip yet.....good luck when you do....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
northender

The main sheet broke loose from the north shore (Wealthwood area) about noon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Derik_Walcheski

It broke away in a few places, sounds like the wealthwood area all the way down to knox point and to agate bay is opening back up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Abndoc

Paul,

No need to apologize for anything, you run a great resort and we will be back shortly. Thanks for looking out for safety of my family.

Corey

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
leech~~

Paul

Your bay is pretty locked up isn't it? What will be your magical number to start letting car-trucks out? 15" inchs? I found 13" in Cove on a tape measure last Sat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Paul Waldowski

Leech,

Yes the bay is locked up. It is more about what is outside the bay that is most concerning. Once you start allowing vehicles you do not have control over where people decide to drive. With no snow on the ice, folks do not have to stick to the roads, thus driving in areas where we have not checked the ice. We need a few more days of colder weather before I feel comfortable allowing vehicles out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
rodbuster70

Hey Paul

Do you still have the bridge to get out of the bay on a wheeler? Can you get out by Shaw's or off of Doe's? Planning a trip to come up there tomorrow and maybe longer if fishin is good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Paul Waldowski

The bridge has been pulled as it was no longer needed. All of Shaws and Doe Island Reef are accessible by wheeler or sled.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
leech~~

Leech,

Yes the bay is locked up. It is more about what is outside the bay that is most concerning. Once you start allowing vehicles you do not have control over where people decide to drive. With no snow on the ice, folks do not have to stick to the roads, thus driving in areas where we have not checked the ice. We need a few more days of colder weather before I feel comfortable allowing vehicles out.

Thanks. Hopefully by next Sat we can drive on. We are trying to plan a little Flasher Shootout GTG up there then. wink

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
gregg52

Flasher shoot out ???????

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
maverickoutdoors

Paul,

I am planning on coming up to mille lacs tomorrow and i got information from a guy that was just at your place and i was looking to just fish for day on my own and he said to contact you and get some more information and said you point me in right direction to catch some perch. and how much is a vehicle pass?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Paul Waldowski

Right now parking is $5. Once we open up to vehicle traffic it is $10. We can certainly give you some help on where to get started.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
maverickoutdoors

thanks im getting everyhting packed up and ready to head up early in the morning to get a good start got fourwheeler and portable. how is the wind up there? will tomorrow be fishable i got good gear so cold isnt a factor but high winds might thanks for the information and see you tomorrow. my name is David. and im think about renting a house soon if we do ok fishing have a few wounded vets that i know that want to go fishing and i want a good experience for them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
leech~~

Flasher shoot out ???????

See details in the HSO Events and Activites plan by members section. We are trying to get a bunch of people together this Sat the 7th to bring all the different types of flashers they have and do a side by side test of them to see where they stack up with each other.

Kind of a Consumers report! But the way it is looking if we can't all drive on at Appeldooms I'm sure a lot of guys will not want to show up. We could try and move the date a few weeks out when the ice is better and everyone can drive on but I am not getting a lot of feed back as of yet. whistle

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Paul Waldowski

Leech,

Unless something changes we plan on being open to light traffic by Saturday but I'm not going to commit to anything with the above freezing temps coming in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
leech~~

Leech,

Unless something changes we plan on being open to light traffic by Saturday but I'm not going to commit to anything with the above freezing temps coming in.

Thanks Paul. I know you have some large difficult decisions to make this time of year which could effect peoples lives! Your post a few back really hit home about trying to keep people from driving to far out when there is open water once they get on the lake!

Thanks for thinking of what is best for everyones safety! wink

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
CC Hurl

I second your comment Leech. Thanks for your concern Paul. As much as I want to get the wheelhouse out, I respect your opinion on Milacs and it's conditions and would never chance it unless your reports were more reassuring. Mother Nature owes you one so I bet you have better day's ahead for your resort. Take care and thanks again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this