• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Appeldoorn's Sunset Bay Ice and Road conditions

Paul Waldowski

As dissapointed as I am to hear this (we had a reservation for tonight) I am really pleased to hear that safety is first priority. Much more important than making a buck. We are sitting here trying to decide what to do with a free night. Feeling pretty bummed out, but glad we will be safe and sound. Paul, we'll get up there later in the season. Can't wait.

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paul Waldowski

• leech~~

• broman

• bassfshin24

Good call Paul.

I just drove through Garrison and, believe it or not, with 20-30 mph. winds blowing away from shore, there are several dozen anglers on the ice, not far from a big expanse of open water.

Corey and queenpdog

Sorry we couldn't make it happen for you and your groups today but just too many things could go wrong with the way the wind is blowing and the lake still having open water and all.

Geez really sorry to hear that your trips got scrubbed. As mentioned by Paul safety still has to be the prime concern. I've been on Millie when the ice conditions were not an issue, and had the whiteout experiance, it is not fun. So considering this years ice the decision by Paul was absolutley the correct one. queenpdog, you'll make that trip yet.....good luck when you do....

It broke away in a few places, sounds like the wealthwood area all the way down to knox point and to agate bay is opening back up.

Paul,

No need to apologize for anything, you run a great resort and we will be back shortly. Thanks for looking out for safety of my family.

Corey

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

Paul

Your bay is pretty locked up isn't it? What will be your magical number to start letting car-trucks out? 15" inchs? I found 13" in Cove on a tape measure last Sat.

Leech,

Yes the bay is locked up. It is more about what is outside the bay that is most concerning. Once you start allowing vehicles you do not have control over where people decide to drive. With no snow on the ice, folks do not have to stick to the roads, thus driving in areas where we have not checked the ice. We need a few more days of colder weather before I feel comfortable allowing vehicles out.

Hey Paul

Do you still have the bridge to get out of the bay on a wheeler? Can you get out by Shaw's or off of Doe's? Planning a trip to come up there tomorrow and maybe longer if fishin is good.

The bridge has been pulled as it was no longer needed. All of Shaws and Doe Island Reef are accessible by wheeler or sled.

Leech,

Yes the bay is locked up. It is more about what is outside the bay that is most concerning. Once you start allowing vehicles you do not have control over where people decide to drive. With no snow on the ice, folks do not have to stick to the roads, thus driving in areas where we have not checked the ice. We need a few more days of colder weather before I feel comfortable allowing vehicles out.

Thanks. Hopefully by next Sat we can drive on. We are trying to plan a little Flasher Shootout GTG up there then. wink

Paul,

I am planning on coming up to mille lacs tomorrow and i got information from a guy that was just at your place and i was looking to just fish for day on my own and he said to contact you and get some more information and said you point me in right direction to catch some perch. and how much is a vehicle pass?

Right now parking is $5. Once we open up to vehicle traffic it is $10. We can certainly give you some help on where to get started.

thanks im getting everyhting packed up and ready to head up early in the morning to get a good start got fourwheeler and portable. how is the wind up there? will tomorrow be fishable i got good gear so cold isnt a factor but high winds might thanks for the information and see you tomorrow. my name is David. and im think about renting a house soon if we do ok fishing have a few wounded vets that i know that want to go fishing and i want a good experience for them.

Flasher shoot out ???????

See details in the HSO Events and Activites plan by members section. We are trying to get a bunch of people together this Sat the 7th to bring all the different types of flashers they have and do a side by side test of them to see where they stack up with each other.

Kind of a Consumers report! But the way it is looking if we can't all drive on at Appeldooms I'm sure a lot of guys will not want to show up. We could try and move the date a few weeks out when the ice is better and everyone can drive on but I am not getting a lot of feed back as of yet. whistle

Leech,

Unless something changes we plan on being open to light traffic by Saturday but I'm not going to commit to anything with the above freezing temps coming in.

Leech,

Unless something changes we plan on being open to light traffic by Saturday but I'm not going to commit to anything with the above freezing temps coming in.

Thanks Paul. I know you have some large difficult decisions to make this time of year which could effect peoples lives! Your post a few back really hit home about trying to keep people from driving to far out when there is open water once they get on the lake!

Thanks for thinking of what is best for everyones safety! wink

I second your comment Leech. Thanks for your concern Paul. As much as I want to get the wheelhouse out, I respect your opinion on Milacs and it's conditions and would never chance it unless your reports were more reassuring. Mother Nature owes you one so I bet you have better day's ahead for your resort. Take care and thanks again.

Thanks guys. Looks like Mother Nature picked this year to remind us all who is really in charge.

Hey leech we may want to push it out a few weeks as i for one will not be bringing my truck out even if light traffic is allowed.

Hey leech we may want to push it out a few weeks as i for one will not be bringing my truck out even if light traffic is allowed.
Any ideas of dates that may work well for everyone? The following weekend is Trout opener and I plan on being up in Ely then. I'm pretty open after that date. smile

This could be a very fun GTG if we could pull it all together. The weather is not helping! frown

Ice and road conditions- 1/04/2012

We currently have 12 inches of ice in the bay and out past 2 Mile. We are seeing some cracking and spidering of the ice sheet due to temperature fluctuations and the lack of any snow cover. We are still only allowing 4 wheelers and snowmobiles out but we hope to be open to light vehicle traffic by the weekend. We did manage to pull a significant number of houses out today and plan on pulling the rest of our rentals out tomorrow.

We currently are staked out to Shaw's Reef and also out to 2 Mile. We will complete staking Doe Island Reef tomorrow afternoon.

Ice conditions are changing daily so please check in and get up to date information wherever you are accessing the lake.

Thanks for the info yesterday about the ice and this morning when I stopped in the office to pay to park. Being it was my first time out, I really appreciated the information about the ice conditions in the area I was headed. Had a great day on the ice, thanks to you. You really run a top notch operation. Perch were really bitin. Had a blast!

Paul

I dont have a snowmobile or wheeler how far of a walk is it to Shaws Reef or the otherside of Doe Island.

Thanks

Mark

It would be just under a mile to get out to the area where there has been a good perch bite. A little shorter than that if you are looking to get on some structure for eyes.

Hey Paul,

A group of us have a house rented next weekend. Are we going to need to bring a wheeler to get out to the house? We can probably round up two of them. Probably should bring them to move around anyway.

I would bring the wheelers, Its easier to move around to find some perch in deeper water druing the day time, lots of deeper sand, gravel spots to try! Good luck!!!