• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Appeldoorn's Sunset Bay Ice and Road conditions

Paul Waldowski

The bay locked up two days ago and with the colder temps and lack of snow in the forecast, it won't be too much longer and the ice season will be in full swing. Hope everyone has a safe ice season and make sure before venturing out any access that you are up to date on ice conditions.

As we do every year updated ice and road conditions can be found here, on our website and also on our Facebook page.

LET THE GAMES BEGIN!!!

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paul Waldowski

• leech~~

• broman

• bassfshin24

Yesterday morning the north end was locked up as far as you could see. The south end looked like it was locked. The east side looked like it was locked about 400 yards out.

Hi Paul -

I've got the fever and the ice show this past weekend in St Paul just made it worse! smile

What's the charge again for a wheelhouse/vehicle pass? How about overnight? Or, if we leave it up there for the week? Thanks in advance

Thanks Paul, Look forward to heading out from your resort. I am hoping I can pull the wheel house out by 1/5/2012. Took the week off. Thanks again.

Well we have not gained much for ice. Still looking at around 6 inches in the bay. I did just get off the phone with Tony Roach. He was making his way out to the flats and he found a large area of open water out by the Boot. There is also a much larger area just to the north of there. Please be safe if you are venturing out. We are still only allowing walking out our access.

This warm weather has to be hurting the resorts up there. I remember being out in a house and pickup just after christmas last year. Hopfully we'll get some cold weather soon.

We just got in from checking ice conditions. We are Open to wheeler traffic to the north end of Doe Island, Doe Reef and to Shaw’s. There is open water running from just west of that line heading down towards Hawkbill Reef and also heading towards the North up towards three mile.

Ice conditions vary greatly from area to area so PLEASE check with wherever you are going out of to ensure everyone's safety.

We currently have 8 inches in the bay. Once you get out of the bay things change dramatically. Some places have 7 inches and others are just skimmed over. There were several areas that had open water two days ago. The lake is currently not locked in and as such, the wind has been shifting the ice sheet around creating some very interesting rescue situations. Ice conditions are changing daily so please check in and get up to date information wherever you are accessing the lake.

Daily updates can be found here, on our website and also on our FB page.

Hopefully the ice gets better. Me and a few friends are heading up tomorrow night and fishing Tuesday-Thursday. Hopefully the fish bite. I'll stop in at Appledoorns to get the latest ice report. I'll report back on here on Thursday night with good news hopefully!

Ice update 12/20/11. We currently have 10 inches of ice in the bay and 9 inches beyond Doe Island and down to the south end of the reef. We do have several cracks that are just starting to heal but they are keeping wheelers in the bay.

Quote:
Any chance you'll have rentals out before New Years? We were planning on coming up on the 29th. Thanks

We certainly will.

Quote:

looking to bring my wheel house and diesel for new years any chance

We would really need some cold weather, no snow and a whole lot less wind.

10-11 inches in the bay and out to Shaw's Reef. There is a crack from the north tip of Doe Island and running to the north. We will be bridging that today. We will be pulling out a few houses today as well.

Great...My boys opened their new rods and letter from Santa about their special trip to appeldorn's next weekend. Was keeping my fingers crossed the houses will start going out. See you sunday.

Corey

We were able to get 8 rentals out today and will be pulling more out tomorrow. Thursday we will start pulling privates for those of you that are ready. We are still only allowing wheelers and sleds out for now.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

We were able to get 8 rentals out today and will be pulling more out tomorrow. Thursday we will start pulling privates for those of you that are ready. We are still only allowing wheelers and sleds out for now.

Great, may have a group of guys coming up to play with some Flashers and do some fishing on the 7th for a GTG so hopefully we can drive out by then. smile

Hello Paul. I'm coming up that way tomorrow.

Am I driving out or walking? confused Thanks.

I spoke to Paul earlier today. No driving with cars or trucks. ATVs or snowmobiles are allowed. He mentioned there is an open crack before Shaws reef that they bridged for ATV access, but you won't be able to tow a wheelhouse over it. He mentioned that his current houses where stuck on the other side. So, basically, walking, ATV, or snowmobile from what he told me.

Thanks broman. I'm still going up and walking out some where Friday. I just hope we get some ice by next Sat the 7th so we can still try to have the Flasher Shoot out up there. Anyone driving out on Cove bay?

As much as I hate to say this but if you thought about coming up today to do a little fishing, we have absolutely horrid conditions this am. White out conditions are creating zero visibility and the wind is only suppose to get stronger as the day progresses. Best for safety sake that folks stay on shore today.

We will be reassessing ice conditions tomorrow am and see what kind of damage, if any the ice sheet suffered in our area.