• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Cattin the Chain 2012

• Replies 445
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Rick G

• DTro

• mncountryboy92

• Brad B

Walked out to my spot only to find roughly20 frozen catfish piled up with no one in sight madmadmad. This used to be common back 15 years ago but you dont see this sort of wanton waste out there much any more. I am pretty sure it was not a member of FM/HSO that did this but I would just like to reminde everyone it's not legal to leve fish on the ice/shore.

Ok time to step off my soapbox.

The bite was pretty good all afternoon. I got to the lake around 12 and had my first fish by 12:15 grin. Action never was fast and furious but was verry consistant all afternoon. Around 4;30 the bite picked up to where I could not manage two lines. Best lure was 1/16 frostee in glow green. I don't think I got more than a handfull of bites on the red today. Most of the bites were too light to feel so the float was the way to go. The bite was good till 6:30 then slowed and was all over by 7:30. Got somewhere in the 30s with plenty of bonus fish between two of us.

Weather man said its going to be around 40 Sun. My only isue is do I go back to the Shoe or do I try Cedar laugh.

Just got back in from the first trip out on the chain this winter. Did very well on the cats tonight. 2 of us caught somewhere between 35-40. Best was a 1/16oz red glow Forage minnow for us. The bite was best between 6-7pm. Im still new at this whole cattin' thing so Im guessin we just got lucky haha.

RFM, how's the access looking? Anyone making the mile walk or is it still "private access"? Thanks for the reports, as usual keeps the itch alive. And it is a shame that ppl out there are practicing want and waste.I know for some cats are by-catch but blatant disregard is totally unacceptable.

The bite was outstanding tonight! Aanderud and I had a friendly competition and it was back and forth all night and when we finally pulled the plug, he had 27 and I had 25. Alagnak was right next to us in his house and got 20 as well, so for the three of us we pulled 72 cats through the ice.

The best part was that the average size was much better tonight. Lots of fish over 20" and several over 24". If you didn't keep your lure glowed religiously you would quit getting bites. I can't stress enough how much more action you get with a fresh glow on your lure.

Again I have bunch of pics and vids that I will try to get up tomorrow morning.

8" of good ice, but the meth hole is still wide open.

I don't keep very many cats, but I decided to take a couple home for a meal.

Great report DTro, sound like you got into them better than I did. If I knew it was you guy over there I would have swung over. From my vantage point it looked like you had on a faded blaze orange suit so I didnt reconize you.

osok, there are still a few legal options along 22 that are under .5 mile.

Made my first trek out to the chain last night with my buddy and had pretty consistent action from the moment we got set up. No short cut for us, we made the voyage from the winter access and man is that a hike dragging gear, especially on this slick ice! As mentioned earlier in this forum cleats are a must right now.

Got set up by around 2:30pm and my friend had his first ever hardwater catfish in hand by 3. Started with the tried and true red colored spoons but as Riverfishingmiss mentioned green seemed to be the best producer last night. Ice was super clear last night and we squealed like little girls watching the catfish materialize from the darkness right under our feet. Several times we just stopped fighting the fish and just watched them swim around 7 feet underneath us in the darkness.

Ended up with around 20 or so cats each, which we thought was pretty amazing considering how long it took us to work out the kinks. (These fish do not bite like other fish, they are... different.) Biggest was about 5 lbs with most being around 2-3. Released the bigger fish but kept 6 for a meal. Also got to meet DTro and Aanderud for the first time as we were packing up. Very nice group of gentlemen and wow what a setup they have going on there. Someday I will be that comfortable while out on first ice!

Did a marathon day out there Sun. Got to the lake little after 7am and stayed till almost 9pm. It was one of the best multi species days I have ever had grin. Between the crappies,walleyes, catfish and and even a few small mouths I bet I touched 80-100 fish grin. Crappie bite was very good all day long, walleyes bit from 2-6 and the catfish started going around 2-3 and stayed red hot till 6 then died off for a while only to come back strong for the last couple hours. We had a crew of six people with my group and not all fished for cats but we all had a great time and caught plenty of fish.

Man that sucks about not being able to park on 22 and take a wheeler out... I parked there all year last year and never had a problem. Might just have to test my luck this year again.

You guys seeing around 6-8 in of ice from 22 out to the meth hole area? Otherwise i'm gonna start exploring some other stuff over towards the Cedar island public. Anyone see any problems there?

Been fishing elsewhere this year and its time to ice some kittys. Hope to see some of you guys up there again this year. Camo Kingquad, Black canvas craft house and a red GMC.

I guess I was under the assumption that you could still park along 22 near the winter access?? I know people have been walking out to the meth hole from there without any issues. They must be parking somewhere wink The only 2 issues I’ve heard of real sketchy ice is near the island there on 22 and the meth hole itself. I have yet to see any wheelers buzzing around out there, but I bet it won’t be long.

The open water is really hard to see with this clear ice. A little extra caution should be used. On windy days you can see the ripples, but when there is no wind it kind of blends right in.

Still working on that darn vid (having some software isssues)..….. I have 4 or 5 really nice ones between 24 and 27 coming through the hole.

Drove by the winter access yesterday, and there must have been 20-30 trucks parked there. I think you can still park there? If not, it didnt stop anyone.

Well, sorry to put out some wrong info, I guess i just read through this years stuff and it sounded like people might be getting some tickets. ANYWAYS, sorry for the wrong info guys.

I know where the meth hole itself is so im not worried about running into that.

"The sketchy ice by the island there on 22" You talking the island to the SW of the winter access or the islands up by the bridges?

Thanks DTro, looking forward to hopefully meeting you this year at the coolcats deal or maybe before. Between you and RFM you guys could have a seminar on how to hand out catfish beatdowns on a regular basis.

Hoping for some cold weather for a few more inches of ice to make wheeler traffic a bit more comfortable. I'm sick of being scared, bring on the sub zero temps.

Made it out yesterday to a spot ive had for a few years. Little out of way hole in 25 foot of water. i used to fish meth hole but have since used that knowledge to find some other spots. Fish were cooperating 3 of us caught 25 in little over 1.5 hours with jigging spoons working the best. pictures to follow.

very nice fish dtro! we pulled out at 7, got sick of looking at 20' of solid fish on the flasher & not getting bit or have any interest shown in well over an hr. watched a guy almost go in the meth hole on his wheeler at night. skidded to a stop just in time. 4-8" of ice depending on where we were

Most are still walking out but there have been a few wheelers in the last couple days. Sleds would be tough to turn right now due to glare ice and lack of snow.

Brad, from the meth hole to the bay I am usaly found in there are a few places that froze a bit later than the rest of the lake I would not drive a atv accross yet. Most of theese spots are in 30+ ft so if you stay shallow you will be fine. Hope to see you and Summer out there a few times this season.

As FishuHaulik said, the fishing was slow-ish for us tonight. Still better than being inside, and it was nice to meet a fellow HSO'er. I hope to meet a few more of y'all on the ice before too long. smile

Here's a few pics of when me & carmike went out. Sorry for the poor quality, cruddy cell phone pics.

Carmike holding our only double of the night!

1324500111.jpg

Nom nom nom!

1324500121.jpg

• Official Fishing Report Team - MN

Boys there are plenty in there I can attest to that! This spring walleye fishing saw a pile of little ones so they are reproduceing good. If you want keep a few for a meal go ahead you wont hurt the population.

If you want keep a few for a meal go ahead you wont hurt the population.

Yes , lots and lots and lots of them infact they are and will continue to be the dominent species in the system , so keeping some for a meal is just fine wink.

I hear they are tasty but never tryed them yet.

so keeping some for a meal is just fine wink.

I hear they are tasty but never tryed them yet.

Your kidding right RFM? I can't believe you never eat any of them shocked I love to fish for the bite but I got a wife and two kids that love to eat em'. I think my daughter would disown me if we threw them all back without bringing home at least a limit for dinner.