• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

World Juniors Right Around the Corner...

solbes

Juniors time again. I see the Blaiser is head coach this year for Team USA. Sandelin is an assistant coach.

Roster will be announced next week. Until then, here's an article on some possible Team USA invitees:

Team USA Roster Speculation

I see Bjuggie on the list. Faulk, Zucker, Forbort, Rau, and Shore are also speculated on. I quickly looked at the Team Canada try outs list and only saw Jaden Schwartz from the WCHA. Only one other college player on thier list.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bear55

• cbrooks

• scsavre

• solbes

Top Posters In This Topic

I hate to loose players to this tourny, too often they come back tired and banged up. On the flip sie it gives other players on your roster some playing time. You also come back with some good experience. Glad we atleast get to see the games at a desent time with it being in edmonton.

]He might have to make up for grimalldi, who I think is still hurt. Not sure.

Out till middle of Jan or Feb even. Rocco had a alot of hype coming in. Tried playing with the lower body injury. Hasn't had a chance to prove himself yet. Rau from what I seen is the real deal. I think jrs with its more wide open stlye hockey will only benefit Rau. Go USA

I love this tournament, it's like the NHL playoffs and olympics all wrapped into one awsome mid-winter tournament. Everyone of these kids is trying to make the NHL and every scout in the world is there, it's a recipe for some great hockey. Skill level is very high too (many top end draft picks) I suspect these guys could hang with any AHL team and they beat top NCAA teams in scrimages on a regular basis. Pretty good for a bunch of 18 and 19 year olds.

Gonna have to find a link to some live streaming. Post it on here so all you guys who are suppose to be working can watch grin

Post it on here so all you guys who are suppose to be working can watch grin

Who? Me???

Please post linkey thingey.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey hockey lovers, here is my mini preview of the World Jrs. This year looks like another 4 team race with Canada, US, Russia, and Sweden. Finland is just out of the top 4 but might have their most talented team in years and could pull off an upset (keep an eye on Grandlund, if you haven't heard of him yet you have probably been living under a rock). Also watch out for the Swiss, they don't have a ton of skill players but alwasy play a tough game and usually put a scare into some of the top teams.

Of the top 4 Sweden might be a step slow this year but will still bring a very deep and solid team. Keep your eyes on Wild prospects Johan Larsson and Jonas Brodin, they will play key roles on the team.

Canada as usual will at the very least considered a co-favorite. They will have tons of skill and will be crazy deep, they even pulled some strings to get a couple of guys playing in the NHL this year into the tournament. In recent years they are starting to show some chinks in their armor, losing in OT to the US in 2010 and giving a big come from behind victory to Russia last year. They will be super motivated to get the gold back and it will take nothing short of a perfect game to beat them. Big game against the US on new years eve in pool play.

The Russians might have the best high-end skill players out of any team so they will alwasy be dangerous. The big ? with them alwasy seems to be team play and motivation. Like the Russian Olympic team they appear amazing on paper but often get worked over by teams with more heart. If they get motivated watch out. Keep an eye on future #1 overall draft pick Nail Yakapov, I have heard people call him a mini Ovechkin.

And finally the good ol USA, we have come on strong in the past decade and have a very good shot at a gold this year, we are as deep and skilled as the other top teams so it can often come down to who wants it more and maybe even a little luck. The road to gold usually goes through Canada, we beat them in 04 and 2010 for the title. The big X-factor for us is Dean Blais is back as head coach so if anyone can lead us there it is him. Almost too many players to talk about but I expect Bjugstad, Coyle, Etem, and Zucker to be key players up front. Former UMD player Justin Faulk might even get released from Carolina to lead the D. US is running their final eval camp this weekend so the final team won't get picked until next week.

It should be one heck of a tourney, if you love hockey you will love this tournament.

Just a little more history, this tournament has been domniated by Russia and Canada, the old Solviet Union won 10 of the first 13 starting in 74 while Canada has picked up 12 of 22 golds since 1990.

The USA on the other hand is just starting to make an impact but we have come a long way and should continue to compete for a medal just about every year in the foreseeable future.

US Medals:

Bronze: 86, 92, 2007, and 2011.

Silver: 1997

Gold: 2004 and 2010.

Cool article Bear. Thanks for posting.

I really hope Carolina decides it's okay to send Justin Faulk to Team USA. Even if they keep him up with the Canes during camp, allowing him to play again with the Juniors would be mutually beneficial. Faulk made it known that he would like to play in the Juniors again, but he wisely left the final decision with Canes management.

Should be fun to watch some of these games soon. 10 more days to go!

I really hope they let him go too, Cains suck this year anyway and he can still get all the NHL experience before and after this tournament.

Bear, I think it is safe to say that you are a little excited for the tourny. Good info, thanks for posting. USA USA USA

Sandelin said probably not to expect Faulk if he is playing for the big club in NC. This was on the local news in the DLH.

]Bear, I think it is safe to say that you are a little excited for the tourny. Good info, thanks for posting. USA USA USA

grin

I think the NHL network will carry the games, we usually have pretty good luck finding a stream online too.

US has an interesting scrimmage with Russia this evening, no stream for that but it should be a good test for both teams.

Carolina is down to 6 D - Faulk is one of them and they won't release him to play - they need him. A little about Grimaldi - too bad he hasn't had much exposure yet - wait until he's 100% - he'll leave Kyle Rau behind in a hurry. No iron in his fire but I did watch him alot in USHL last two years and he has the ability to make things happen on both ends of the ice - time will tell - UND hurts without him I can tell you that much.

USA loss to Russia 6-3 in a exhibition game. They have another one today against the Swiss. Berfish I will try to find some live streaming for the games. I'm not the most computer savy guy but I will try to find something smile

A little about Grimaldi - too bad he hasn't had much exposure yet - wait until he's 100% - he'll leave Kyle Rau behind in a hurry.

Grimaldi is and will be a very good player for the Sioux in the future but he isn't leaving Rau behind in any way, shape or form. If anything you could say Rau has been the better player by a wide margin so far. Things will even up next year when Bjugstad is pro and Grimaldi is healthy.

USA loss to Russia 6-3 in a exhibition game. They have another one today against the Swiss. Berfish I will try to find some live streaming for the games. I'm not the most computer savy guy but I will try to find something smile

That Russia offense is a potent bunch, they are going to be hard to stop, glas this game wasn't for real.

USA beat the Swiss in exhition play last night 7-3. I also read that the US outshot Russia the night before 37 to 23 shots against the defending gold medal team. Souded like Russia's goaltender played really well. I like our chances this year from what I've been reading.

That Russia game was kind of interest, sounds like we may have had the better of the play, they also scored two shortys so that has to get fixed. They also rested their entire top line and we had a couple of our better players out as well so its hard to take anything away from it. I think we will only see them in the medal round but I think it was good to get a taste of their game and get some ice time against their skill guys.

Final roster announced.

G 1 Jack Campbell*^ 6-2 182 1/9/92 L Port Huron, Mich. Soo Greyhounds (OHL)

G 35 John Gibson 6-3 200 7/14/93 L Pittsburgh, Pa. Kitchener Rangers (OHL)

G 29 Andy Iles*% 5-9 180 1/30/92 L Ithaca, N.Y. Cornell Univ. (ECACH)

D 5 Adam Clendening 5-11 190 10/26/92 R Niagara Falls, N.Y. Boston Univ. (HEA)

D 4 Derek Forbort* 6-5 200 3/4/92 L Duluth, Minn. Univ. of North Dakota (WCHA)

D 12 Kevin Gravel 6-4 190 3/6/92 L Kingsford, Mich. St. Cloud State Univ. (WCHA)

D 28 Stephen Johns 6-4 221 4/18/92 R Wampum, Pa. Univ. of Notre Dame (CCHA)

D 15 Jon Merrill* 6-3 209 2/3/92 L Brighton, Mich. Univ. of Michigan (CCHA)

D 24 Jarred Tinordi 6-7 215 2/20/92 L Millersville, Md. London Knights (OHL)

D 8 Jacob Trouba 6-2 191 2/26/94 R Rochester, Mich. U.S. NTDP U-18 (USHL)

F 21 Josh Archibald 5-10 170 10/6/92 R Brainerd, Minn. Univ. of Nebraska Omaha (WCHA)

F

14 Bill Arnold 6-0 215 5/13/92 R Needham, Mass. Boston College (HEA)

F

27 Nick Bjugstad* 6-4 204 7/17/92 R Blaine, Minn. Univ. of Minnesota (WCHA)

F 23 Connor Brickley 6-1 195 2/25/92 L Everett, Mass. Univ. of Vermont (HEA)

F 3 Charlie Coyle* 6-2 207 3/2/92 R East Weymouth, Mass. Boston Univ. (HEA)

F 2 Austin Czarnik 5-8 152 12/12/92 R Washington, Mich. Miami Univ. (CCHA)

F 10 Emerson Etem* 6-1 197 6/16/92 L Long Beach, Calif. Medicine Hat Tigers (WHL)

F 11 J.T. Miller 6-1 195 3/14/93 L East Palestine, Ohio Plymouth Whalers (OHL)

F 20 Kyle Rau 5-8 172 10/24/92 L Eden Prairie, Minn. Univ. of Minnesota (WCHA)

F 22 Brandon Saad 6-2 206 10/27/92 L Gibsonia, Pa. Saginaw Spirit (OHL)

F 19 T.J. Tynan 5-8 170 2/25/92 R Orland Park, Ill. Univ. of Notre Dame (CCHA)

F 26 Austin Watson 6-3 195 1/13/92 R Ann Arbor, Mich. Peterborough Petes (OHL)

F 16 Jason Zucker*^ 5-11 180 1/16/92 L Las Vegas, Nev. Univ. of Denver (WCHA)

Give Grimaldi the same kind of NCAA ice time Rau has had this year and he'd be left behind by now - don't forget he had two full years in the USHL while Rau was playing MN HS hockey - I stand by my statement.