• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

APR, QDM, Trophy Hunters, etc....

DaveT

I will never understand party hunting.

I would never allow anyone to shoot my deer and I will never understand why another would allow someone else to shoot thier der for them.

Just buy them another license and stay home.

Because isn't hunting about the fun with friends and family? Not to mention the meat? Party hunting works great for both, especially when someone happens to be in the right spot and has all the deer run by them. Everyone still gets meat that way, not to mention the joy of the hunt.

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kern

• 96trigger

• DaveT

• Musky Buck

I think party hunting is fine but I don't see why People can't take does to fill someone else's tag. There are plenty of people out there who seem to think a 1.5 yr old buck is more of a trophy than a 3.5 yr old doe. And that's not a problem if they shoot only one for their tag. But there are a lot of people who shoot all of them they see. The other issue with party hunting is the guys who shoot the deer and call the guy with the tag to come out and get it. It's pretty hard to manage it.

I will never understand party hunting.

I would never allow anyone to shoot my deer and I will never understand why another would allow someone else to shoot thier der for them.

Just buy them another license and stay home.

That sounds just as selfish as the guy who shoots all the deer himself and the kids shoot none. Are you telling me that if you and I and my 11 year old were hunting together and we each only had one tag, you would be mad if my kid who has never shot a deer would shoot all 3? I myself would enjoy seeing a kid have that much fun.

If I can't shoot a deer(which I never do)I am more than happy to give my tag to someone else so that we can have some venison for the freezer. One group I hunt with is usually a group of 4 and most years we are happy if we shoot 2 deer and if 1 guy shoots both of them I say more power to him, at least we can put something in the freezer.

How many of you guys that are dead set against any change have ever had a season like this?

http://www.hotspotoutdoors.com/forum/ubb...cks#Post2697478

How many have had 2 in a row?

http://www.hotspotoutdoors.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/2416975/Searchpage/1/Main/253802/Words/%22crappie+rage%22/Search/true/Re_2010_in_Kansas#Post2416975

Please stop telling me how good the deer hunting is in MN, I'm not buying it.

I need a Mod to fix this link, my feeble brain and poor computer skills are out matched.

How many of you guys that are dead set against any change have ever had a season like this?

http://www.hotspotoutdoors.com/forum/ubb...cks#Post2697478

How many have had 2 in a row?

http://www.hotspotoutdoors.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/2416975/Searchpage/1/Main/253802/Words/%22crappie+rage%22/Search/true/Re_2010_in_Kansas#Post2416975

Please stop telling me how good the deer hunting is in MN, I'm not buying it.

I need a Mod to fix this link, my feeble brain and poor computer skills are out matched.

What makes you think that every hunter measures success the same way you do? To me the most successfull hunt I've heard a story about this year was the poster in this thread who said his 11 year old kid shot 4 dear, now THAT is SUCCESS!

I'm sure these young kids are gonna be fine if they only get one deer. If I wanted to give my tag away, I would buy one and stay back at camp. I deer hunt because I want to kill a deer, I enjoy the hunt! I guess I would be selfish for doing this though...

Quote:
That sounds just as selfish as the guy who shoots all the deer himself and the kids shoot none. Are you telling me that if you and I and my 11 year old were hunting together and we each only had one tag, you would be mad if my kid who has never shot a deer would shoot all 3? I myself would enjoy seeing a kid have that much fun.

Yep, I'd be mad. I would do whatever I could to get that kid his first deer. I would put him in the hottest spot, I would try my best to call one in. I would do whatever it took to get him his first deer before I ever fired a shot. I would not, give up my tag. I would enjoy teaching him about the rules and regs of hunting, gutting, skinning, and butchering, and that shooting his deer and using his tag is part of hunting. Not shooting my deer for me. Some might call it selfish that I won't let him shoot mhy deer for me. I call it teaching him to abide by rules and being socially responsible and respectful to the law and the wishes of the other hunters at camp.

Now here is a question for all of the trophy hunters who think changes are needed:

Do you hunt for anything else besides deer or other antlered animals? Do you pheasnt hunt? Grouse hunt? Duck hunt? Goose hunt? Squirrel hunt?

If so, why? Is it for the trophy? The meat? The killing?

When I had my German shorthair I pheasant hunted a lot. I loved watching my dog work. After child 2 I didn't have the time to run him like I thought he should so I found him another good family. I don't get as much time in the woods ad I'd like with having a family so I'm not going to compromise the time I have with ducks or anything else.

I hunt geese, squirrels, turkeys, and deer. I hunt them all for different reasons, each one brings something different to the table. Goose hunting is exciting and I love working them with my call. I also found that two geese mixed with venison sausage tastes great. Squirrel hunting is a great time to spend one on one quality time with my 4 year old son. We have yet to shoot one, but enjoy going out in the woods together. I get to teach him about nature and show him rubs, scrapes, pileated wood peckers, etc... I hunt turkeys for the thrill and the challenge. I have to this day only shot one. But i have had a couple close encounters with boss toms and that my friends, is something that puts your hear in your throat. When you can feel the drumming through your but because he is that close, man, there is nothing like it. I generally try and shoot two deer a year. A mature buck and a doe. Sometimes I shoot two does. I always try and hold out for a mature buck. Two deer is what I know I can eat a year, so two deer is what I take. If I take three, I usually have a little to spare and share.

Above all, chasing whitetails is my passion.

Not shooting my deer for me. Some might call it selfish that I won't let him shoot my deer for me.

thank you for underlining. I'm glad you found it, please tell me whats wrong with that statement.

Now here is a question for all of the trophy hunters who think changes are needed:....

Got any question for non-trophy hunters who think changes are needed?

First Dave to answer your last question, I may let my son shoot my deer but that would be it.

He learned to shot his own deer so we never had to cross that bridge.

You hunt and hunt hard for your deer, if you do not get onbe, so be it.

I am not so sure why you are so hung up on this Trophy titale thing.

Just because one wants to shoot a buck with a bit larger rack does not mean by any means that he should be labeled a trophy hunter.

I guess I should then call all those that shoot fawns, Bambi killers.

Same lame thought.

One can hunt deer for meat and also want to harvest a nice racked deer. But I guess since you could care less, then maybe we should have an all buck season and you can leave the state.

That felt good after all tell me to leave as I would like once in awhile to shoot something other than a fawn, doe or baby buck.

To answer your otyher question, I hunt about everything I can. The reasons I hunt I will not go into as all you will do is pick that apart like you seem to always dop as it is not what you want.

Then you believe others are selfish.

REALLY.

I hunt pheasant, grouse and waterfowl. I do it because I love being outside and the thrill of the hunt!

What would I classify myself if I shoot does for the freezer but really like chasing mature whitetail bucks? Am I a trophy meat hunter?

Just because one wants to shoot a buck with a bit larger rack does not mean by any means that he should be labeled a trophy hunter.

What would YOU label him as then? If it is not for the trophy then why do you care about the size of the rack?

I am so sick of people comparing Iowa to Minnesota. The only part of Minnesota that compares anything remotely to Iowa is SE Minnesota. As many have stated there are so many differences between the two states its unbelievable(predators like bear and timbers, endless forests, shorter growing seasons, harder winters, and i could go on and on.)

I love hunting Minnesota and am very thankful for what I have and we have as a state. I hunt in NE Minnesota where hunting can be very difficult at times. We hunt hard and have been rewarded with pope and young bucks every year.

5 years ago I was on the QDM bandwagon. But now I'm not. I don't want our state to turn into the next Iowa, its bad for our sport(high lease prices, large tracts of private land, TV shows like Lee and Tiffany, etc.)

I also love party hunting and i hope we don't lose it. I shot my deer in september and have enjoyed trying to shoot another one. Still have a month to do it.

Dave T. Next time you try to pursuade you opinion on people, don't come off so brash. Take a more tactful approach, it may work better.

I don't think Minnesota deer hunting sucks.

What would I classify myself if I shoot does for the freezer but really like chasing mature whitetail bucks? Am I a trophy meat hunter?

Funny I was just going to post the same thing! I have a couple deer on the wall but my most memorable hunt was 2 years ago when my then 5 year old son was with me when I shot a doe with my bow. That expierience has hooked him already! I've gone many seasons with not taking a buck, but those seasons were anything but bad. And unlike many people would like to believe , it didn't ruin my season.

Quote:
What would YOU label him as then? If it is not for the trophy then why do you care about the size of the rack?

Determined, persistent, motivated, and disciplined for a start.

I would label him a deer hunter that enjoys the challenge of taking a mature animal....

Quote:
Funny I was just going to post the same thing! I have a couple deer on the wall but my most memorable hunt was 2 years ago when my then 5 year old son was with me when I shot a doe with my bow. That expierience has hooked him already! I've gone many seasons with not taking a buck, but those seasons were anything but bad. And unlike many people would like to believe , it didn't ruin my season.

Took my 4 year old out this year for the first time. Had a 6 pointer come by our blind and graze for 15-20 minutes. He thought it was the coolest thing in the world, and I didn't even have to shoot it. Who would have thought. I was even able to explain to a 4 year old why I couldn't shoot it, and even if I could have, why I wouldn't. That those small bucks become next years big bucks, and maybe some day, when he is older and can hunt, that deer might still be around for him to shoot, and then, he will be a dandy. I guess I am a horrible parent for using that as a teaching moment for my son.

Plus one, Trigger.

I'll simplify it and call it ethics. Instill a love and respect for the resource in a young mind that can actually absorb it, and the rest will take care of itself.

Big Dave

I wouldn't allow my kids to shoot 4 bucks in one state in one season no matter what the law was. I will tag a buck for them if it's bigger than any they've shot previously. They have no restrictions on their first deer of the year, after that, they understand if they shoot a second buck it will be bigger than what they've previously killed. After the second one, they're done shooting bucks. It's not fair to the rest of the hunters in the group or the immediate area. It's a limited resource, and my kids understand if you kill all the bucks this year there won't be many to kill next year.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Dave I'm not excited.

Mother Nature has a lot to do with the size herd and age of bucks up here.

Never in my wildest dream would I have thought we'd be able to shoot 5 does.

Thanks DaveT, I thought about ethical, but you know, there are lots of people that don't care about the size of a deer that are still very ethical, so I left it off intentionally. If its legal to shoot small bucks in your area, then its not unethical for those to do so.

In general, any hunter can have the qualites I mentioned and most probably exhibit them, but it seems like people that like to hunt mature bucks exhibit those qualities more frequently.

Someone who would like to shoot a MATURE deer whether it be a buck or doe. If your simply after meat shoot a doe,I know u can't eat horns but when you do shoot a nice mature buck with average to above average horns the memory and story sticks with me for a lot longer than if I was to shoot a doe . I agree with others about wishing for more quality deer. Maybe the dnr could make up a system similar to nd and I'm sure other states for drawing a buck tag,but still allow for one or more doe tags. Also don't let the out of state people get a buck tag for firearm season.

[quote

Dave T. Next time you try to pursuade you opinion on people, don't come off so brash. Take a more tactful approach, it may work better.

I don't think Minnesota deer hunting sucks.

Big Dave

I wouldn't allow my kids to shoot 4 bucks in one state in one season no matter what the law was. I will tag a buck for them if it's bigger than any they've shot previously. They have no restrictions on their first deer of the year, after that, they understand if they shoot a second buck it will be bigger than what they've previously killed. After the second one, they're done shooting bucks. It's not fair to the rest of the hunters in the group or the immediate area. It's a limited resource, and my kids understand if you kill all the bucks this year there won't be many to kill next year.

I never said anything about a kid shooting bucks, you said that all on your own. To me a deer is a deer unless legally I can only shoot one or the other.

You also realize that if you shoot all the does, you won't have ANY deer to kill next year, right?