• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Sauk Centre Fishing Reports

The hard water season is right around the corner and time to start thinking of those winter hot spots. Looking to keep a topic going for the Sauk Centre area this year weather it be ice conditions, fishing reports, or tips for fishing the area.

I was new to the area last year but was able to venture a little bit more with the boat this summer and fall. The crappie fishing this spring was great on Sauk Lake and the walleye bit on Maple Lake was hit and miss this fall.

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone and hope to see this topic take off and go this winter. Good luck and fish hard.

Well it should not be long for ice on Sauk, I took the boat up on friday thinkging that there would be no way that the landings would be iced over. But I was wrong, even the north end was iced up out to diamound point.

• 2 weeks later...

Fishing here and not there... The ice is still touch and go in places but able to get out on a few lakes. Fairy has a few houses out but mostly spearing in the NE bay. Sauk Lake was still open just north of the Hwy 71 bridge three days ago. There is also a spear house out from the 71 access. I have heard reports of anywhere from 2-4 inches of ice on some surrounding lakes but spotty towards the middle. This cold weekend should really help harden things up. I have not had time to drive towards the Maple lake area but I am sure the bays have good layer of ice on them by now. If anyone knows the ice status on Maple please do tell.

Good luck and be safe while venturing!!

• 2 weeks later...

Fishing is good and the ice is getting there.... Sauk, Birch, Fairy, Smith are all producing fish. Stop into Fletchers and get more info but have been hearing good reports and taking some fish myself. Get away from the group and the action is Hot. Good Luck

• 1 month later...

We'll (Father&Mother-in-law, brother-in-law and myself) be heading up to Big Sauk Lake for the first time this Thurs, till Sunday.

Not familiar with the lake. Would like to know how's the ice thickness and info on the lake.

Tried to find some more info on the fishing report. No much info. Was hoping someone would give me tips, lure/bait and advice on where to go?

PM if you can. Really would appreciate it!

Forgot to mention that we'll be staying at Big Sauk Resort. So any advice on what kind of lures to get would be helpful! Thanks in advance!

@ mountaindew

3 spots on Big Sauk: Diamond Point, Red Barn, Dutchmen's Bay

Lures: Lindy Frostee, crappie minnows and euros for bait

Fletcher's Bait

1515 Sinclair Lewis Avenue, Sauk Centre, MN

(320) 352-2155

Joker - Thanks for the info!

Just saw the forecast for the week. 40's for highs!? What's the ice thickness on those spots?

If you are staying at big Sauk I,m willing to bet he has you off of diamond point in about 30 to 40 ft of water . The fish will be off the bottom about 6-8 feet. I've always dreads ticked them and had good luck that way,but you may also pick up a stray walleye jigging a small spoon. Durin the day head way to the north end for sunnies and pike in about 12-16 ft of water. Hope this helps, do Jim and Elaine still run big Sauk?

Thanks all for the info! I wonder what's the ice conditions up there? We live in Janesville, MN area, and there's no way of knowing what's the ice conditions up there?

Plenty of ice, they are driving all the way across the lake. I was home this weekend and fished on the north end, action was decent.

Thanks. That's good to know. Was a bit worried with this warm weather we're having! Appreciate all the info!

How much is plenty of ice is up there? I can't believe how warm it is here in southern mn..

Does anybody know what's the ice thickness?

We're on our way now. I'm using my iPhone to post another question. Is the lake clear enough for underwater camera?

Yes even though Sauk is part of the river system I have used my camera a number of times without any problem.

Sifty