• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Late Rut? or second rut?

Dahitman44

Most of the deer taken in our area were small and not very deep into the rut. Now people are seeing large mature bucks running around during the day ... Thoughts?

Was the rut late this year?

Thought the same thing. Didnt see alot of scrapes and rubs until a couple days ago. Just started to see bucks singling out doe's to. It has been an interesting year!

Maybe with way less doeheads around they didn't go ballistic rutting, night time breeding in fields for sure or wherever she'd let him after dark primarily, it was a strange year, the past 4 muzzleloader seasons have been better for me than rifle season for sure, I never thought I'd utter those words, did all-season 2003 and on and the first 5 years of muzzy were way worse than rifle so it's changing some in my area although I'm short to say that it's becoming the norm but is it? Not many or any of the largest, few largest bucks I've talked to guys and they got, pretty much 0 were chasing does, they were very carefully walking extremely slowly being super cautious so the rut is a different deal nowaday some, lets hope for a nice progression to fall to winter next year especially temperature wise.

Fresh scrapes yesterday near my muzzy stand location where I will be sitting Saturday morning. With the snow and sandy soil, it looked like the buck(s) making these were very aggressive. (one of them was about 2 ft wide and six feet long) Maybe wishful thinking on my part, but I hope that is some indication of their frequency in visiting this scrape line!

On a disgusting note, I came across a large, head less buck which had been killed before Saturday's snow. What a waste. Called the CO and he was going to check it out. He also said that the buck activity that he is seeing just started to pick up over the weekend. His guess is that the warm weather we had up to last weekend has pushed the full-on rut back a week or more.

Timing could be perfect for Saturday's opener!

Good luck and be safe.

I had fresh scrapes and rubs in the area I hunted on the 19th and 20th...new stuff everyday. Everything happening at night or I would have seen them during the day. Frustrating.

I think it's definitely late rut from the original rut still going on. I don't think the second rut if it happens will be until darn near Christmas this year.

I don't believe the 1st rut is over either. I live in the north metro (Elk River area) and two nights ago I had the neighborhood 10 point chasing the ladies around in my backyard at 11 PM. The Friday before the opener I saw him doing the same thing in the morning. It just depends on when the does go into heat. One particular doe that I see nightly still hasn't kicked her fawns to the curb and twice now I have watched him not be able to seperate her from her fawns.

The rut is almost over as it usually is. What we are seeing is that now the bucks are now "done" with the vast majority of the does and are now searching for that last few that need the deed done. It is like this every year, this in between seasons is the time to stick a whopper that has been hard to find, as this maybe the one and only time he goes onto your property.

I seen one last year at this same time well before dark after a doe, and just two days ago saw two between 10a-12p I haven't got out due to work but hope to on Friday with the wind switching to the north finally.

In my mind this is probly the best time to get a true monster, but only if he survived the pumpkin parade.

Saw a little buck cross the road nose to the ground on Thanksgiving, problem was it was just before midnight...

Hunted the last 4 days in ND muzzleloader hunting and 3 others were bow hunting.

We really did not see anything more than a week or two ago for a increase in the rut.

For us, the rut was lame this season. Might have to do with far less deer.

I did see some does with and some without thier fawns this past weekend.

I am sure there are still bucks chasing does but I would guess it is near the end until the second go around.

Also have seen several small "groups" of deer moving. All does, or does with fawns. Have seen no fresh scrapes or rubs since the muzzle opener.

Heard reports from two different guys seeing groups of 4 fawns last night, not much else seems to be moving during daylight.

Thing about the 2nd rut or late rut I think it's different in my area than it was years ago, it's such a nocturnal thing nowaday even during rifle and so what few does need to be bred chances are it's still a night thing, I think years back with less pressure on the deer and the areas they use you may have witnessed a more normal kind of a rut both the first rut and the late rut. Does this ? ever cross your mind, think about how many bucks are shot following does during rifle, well those does weren't bred by that buck, can they or do they go find a buck or a scrape or get missed the first go round? If so you'd think the 2nd rut in places would have those does plus any maturing doe fawns possibly in heat, but it's a night time rut anyway so man if you catch that daytime 2nd rut you are in the right place at the right time.

In my main area also it almost seems according to trailcam footage from many in the area that there were more antlered bucks around then mature does this year, 11 bucks and 3 does with fawns on camera in one place by a salt lick doe attracting spot and the other camera had 9 bucks, 1 doe and 0 fawns not that a trailcam catches them all, but it really seemed odd to not have to scroll through quite a few doe pictures. Unfortunately most bucks were 1.5 year olds out of the 20 I'd say 15 were 1st rack.

I noticed the late rut on the last weekend of the rifle season in the winni area and talked with a few guys that had shot bucks chasin does but maybe it was the first rut not sure

Probably the tail end of the primary rut. If unbred, they'll cycle again in 21 days - right around this time of year. I haven't witnessed any Dec rut activity myself but I know it occurs, primariy at night.

I have seen or been told the bucks are still with the does. Mostly after dark as its still to warm for any daytime deer movement.

My Deer and Deer Hunting calendar has their moon theory rut predictions on it. They predict second rut activity (seeking) starting on Saturday with the chase phase from 12-10 through 12-19. Breeding again from 12-20 through 12-23.

I don't put much stock in their moon predictions though. Human pressure and weather seem to trump any minor effect moon phase may have.

ymmv

A friend of mine is with the DNR.

He said a retired colleague is doing some research independently on deer.

I dont know where specifically but somewhere north of the metro.

Call me crazy if you want, just passing on what I was told yesterday....

They are taking urine and blood samples from does that are shot. I do not know how many they have checked, but get this..... Of all the does they have checked to date, most of them have NOT hit first estrous yet....

No clue how they determine if they have been in estrous or not, but apparently they can tell.

A friend of mine is with the DNR.

He said a retired colleague is doing some research independently on deer.

I dont know where specifically but somewhere north of the metro.

Call me crazy if you want, just passing on what I was told yesterday....

They are taking urine and blood samples from does that are shot. I do not know how many they have checked, but get this..... Of all the does they have checked to date, most of them have NOT hit first estrous yet....

No clue how they determine if they have been in estrous or not, but apparently they can tell.

I wouldn't doubt it. Everything I've noticed in the deer woods this fall has seemed "behind" a few weeks. Heck, even my own internal clock feels messed up by about a month.

It makes me wonder if the late spring could be a contributing cause in a small shift in the biological clocks of deer. In fact, the rut in certain areas may be several weeks later in areas that have late springs as evolution has caused more deer and does to survive that are dropped as fawns after the spring thaw/at a time in the spring where survival is optimal. This is because the gestation period is the same no matter where you go, but spring fawning conditons vary between regions (i.e. Florida v. MN).

My own research of every decent buck taken this season, none of them were with a doe/does. I've asked about a dozen guys and they all said no he was alone and being very cautious is the universal answer. What's weird some is the buck I got was with like 7 mature type does and 3 fawns and he was grunting and chasing 1 of the does while the rest kept an eye on him. November 17th was when that went down in zone 1 at about zone 1's furthest southern point which is an hour north of the metro.

I don't know what is going on. I hunted all day Saturday - never left the stand - and until 11 AM on Sunday. I saw 7 does and zero bucks. I just want it to not be windy one day this year when I head out in the woods. I am going to put some corn out tonight and feed the deer in my back yard. I haven't fed them for a few weeks and back in early november when I was feeding them there were always bucks around. In fact I watched the bucks chase the does numerous times in my back yard which was kind of fun. I checked the other afternoon and none of the scrapes in my backyard have been touched for a while. The srapes near where I was hunting last weekend were completely covered with leaves and have been abandoned. Opening weekend of firearm season they were still being used by the bucks and does. This weekend I am going to go out and shoot a doe or two and call it a season. Almost time to go ice fishing.

Yo Beast you may want to wait until Jan.1st to put out the corn and I would've whacked one of those 7 does last weekend especially if you could tell they weren't acting like a buck was near. Supposed to get snow unknown amounts in your area tomorrow, it may keep the deer bedded as they can get a bit skittish after the first good snow that will stick for the winter or at least that's been my observations, feed heavy like tonight before it and hunker down for 2 daysish, good luck. Not sure on deer numbers in your area, sounds like good strong numbers but none of us in our area will take any does now that we realize there aren't many around and each doe taken is like taking 3 deer now that they're pregnant.

Saw a big big rack chasen a doe around up on central entrance tonight he just wouldnt leave her alone running into traffic my son said he wont make it thru the night. she went into a yard and layed down and he stood by her. this was in duluth