• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Matt C

• mikeymike

• simple1

• Eric_Kruger

Guy from Scheels said that he was out on Washington in Mud Bay yesterday and that the ice is better now than it was last week....Any truth to that???? I figured with the high temps we had, and the lack of freezing temps at night, it would be like walking on a thawing stick of butter out there. What's everyone's experiences out there lately?

Fished over to Albert lea last night and found 7-8 inches of solid ice. Like they are saying there was more ice over there now than when I was there 2 weeks ago. We managed 3 keeper eyes for our efforts. There was a crack that was probably an 1-2inches wide that we stayed away from (making some wierd noises), but then 2 guys who looked like they where part of the clam pro staff came out and walked right over it.

Call me crazy but I kind of like the ice conditions the way things are now. The lakes a little less crowded without vehicles all over the place and I am enjoying the nice walks to my favorite spots. And I have been leaving the power auger at home as drilling 6 inches is nothing with a manual.

Simple1

So i was on Duck on Saturday wtih my 6 year old. We drilled through i would say 7-8' of ice, but the lake was just Crackin' and Poppin' and making all sorts of noise. I have to say I usually fish at night, nad the crascks i hear are usually from the lake making ice. Was that noise from the lake losing ice? i'm sure we were plenty safe, as there were about a dozen other people out there, but it was nerve racking to hear the cracking and popping. is that normal?

Call me crazy but I kind of like the ice conditions the way things are now. The lakes a little less crowded without vehicles all over the place and I am enjoying the nice walks to my favorite spots. And I have been leaving the power auger at home as drilling 6 inches is nothing with a manual.

Simple1

+1

And the fish like it too. Less pressure and virtually no risk of winterkill this year. The upside to a winter like this is it does give our lakes a break. Should help make next year even better!

I've also been weary of the conditions lately, but the people I've been talking to say the increased direct sunlight that we see as we get into late march is what really does the damage. Even though it's warm, the suns not very intense so we don't lose a ton of ice during these warm spells. Still, be careful out there.

was at the point on washington lake at the northeast access at 10:30 pm last night the ice buckled right at the point had standing water 12 feet across about 30-40 feet long it starts at the point we drilled holes about literally 5 feet from it and still was safe 8 inches around it but careful with atv's out there a lot of cracks out there but should be froze up soon.

Fished Clear lake in Waseca today on the North end of the lake. Ice was 8 inches solid and clear everywhere I drilled. By the end of the afternoon the top 1/2 inch or so was getting soft from the 50 degree weather but from the sound of things that should change over the next few days.

pray for no wind for the lakes with a few open spots but I think the ice will be good before the wind can affect it

Looking for ice reports on Duck and maybe Loon by Lake Crystal. Trying to figure out which direction I'm traveling tomorrow.

Spent a few hours on Mazaska this morning and the ice was 6" - 8". Everyone was walking out and a couple of ATVs pulled perms. The wind was strong and ripped up 4 ice anchors blowing my popup across the lake. I want to publicly thank the gentlemen that helped an old man get his gear back plus the ride there and back on an ATV.

Fishing was slow, but worth every minute away from work and chores.

hope that wasn't your portable I seen buzzin across the lake thing was really moving but I was to far away to get to it look like a kid got oout and broke it down and pulled it back. entertaining top watch

Yep that was mine if you were at Masazka. I had my ice anchors in, but it was a freak wind gust that lifted it up and then torn off with it. I felt like one of those guys in a movie that's caught in the outhouse when a tornado blows the walls away! wink

I at first just looked and laughed because I knew there was no way I could catch it. The young men who caught it folded it up and then another good samaritan drove me over on his ATV. I tried fishing out in that wind for a while longer until my joints grew tired of it.

It sure was a hoot to see that blue pop up fly away, but I'm even happier to get it back!

Well, based on what I've been reading it sounds like this cold spell really heated things up.... People are on the fish more so now. The ice is thicker and there is more chatter and excitment all over the board.

I've got a bunch of buddies comin to town for a yearly ice fishing 'tournament' (more so beer drinking and laughs at who catches the smallest fish)and we usually head to third point on Washington. Can anyone tell me how things are looking over there? Any good recommendations on some depths to start out at?

Ice might be a little sketchy right on 3rd point. I haven't been out there in quite a while, but i would expect less ice in the immediate 20-30' from the point. Besides that, you should be good to go walking. I won't advise a 4wheeler as i haven't confirmed ice thickness.

Ice might be a little sketchy right on 3rd point. I haven't been out there in quite a while, but i would expect less ice in the immediate 20-30' from the point. Besides that, you should be good to go walking. I won't advise a 4wheeler as i haven't confirmed ice thickness.

Was out on Third Point yesterday and had about 10 inches where I drilled in about 20 ft of water. Most guys out there were driving 4 wheelers and I will be takeing mine out Friday. There was open water right up on the point a week ago, and you can see where it had refroze in the last few days but the ice around it is fine. A car even ventured out yesterday... too crazy for me.

Good Luck and happy fishing.

sleepless dad -- your lucky on the good samaritan i wasnt so lucky last year. my pop up flew across lake frances and got hung up at the ditch at the northwest access last year about 400 yards we were walkin to get it and a guy on a 4 wheeler stopped but not to grab my shack just to let it fly in front him and when it got caught up in the ditch a truck stopped folded it up and threw it in the back of his truck. so practically watched my shack get stolen right in front of my face while the thief just was laughing at me and couldnt do a thing about it.

Appreciate the update. I'm heading out for a while after work tonight so I will give 3rd a shot seeing its in decent shape.

As for the car on the ice. Why do some people feel the need to force things along? Not only is it unsafe for them its unsafe for everyone out there... but that's just my opinion.

Sounds like 7-10" average from this area from everyone I have talked to...I cannot believe how many cars and trucks are out already.....

I was near 3rd point Saturday and can confirm 10 inches of ice over 25 FOW. It was cracking alot, kinda scared a guy once and a while. I too witnessed a new-ish white SUV drive clear across the lake right around all the houses on Saturday. Couldn't believe it.

sleepless dad -- your lucky on the good samaritan i wasnt so lucky last year. my pop up flew across lake frances and got hung up at the ditch at the northwest access last year about 400 yards we were walkin to get it and a guy on a 4 wheeler stopped but not to grab my shack just to let it fly in front him and when it got caught up in the ditch a truck stopped folded it up and threw it in the back of his truck. so practically watched my shack get stolen right in front of my face while the thief just was laughing at me and couldnt do a thing about it.

you have got to be kidding me?!?!?! I just dont get some people????

Isn't worth driving out there people. Unless you got 2-3 grand to throw at the scuba diver to ONLY hook up your vehicle. And yes thats only the scuba diver that doesn't include the tow truck fee, the DNR fine for polluting the water, and don't forget your car has water damage along with possibly wrecked for good.

Isn't worth driving out there people. Unless you got 2-3 grand to throw at the scuba diver to ONLY hook up your vehicle. And yes thats only the scuba diver that doesn't include the tow truck fee, the DNR fine for polluting the water, and don't forget your car has water damage along with possibly wrecked for good.

Yeah, my truck fell through on Washington couple years ago outside of Westwood along with 7-8 others.....not a very cheap event for sure! I will not be driving on the ice until there is at least 18 inches. Luckily I didnt receive a fine from DNR.....the DNR officers quote was "I cant give a ticket for stupidity".....kind of wrecked my fishing season.

I like to think I know enough about ice fishing to keep myself safe, but a buddy and I were out last night and the ice was making some noises that would make any Guy feel uncomfortable. We were the only two on the lake that I could see. So, of course I started second guessing my knowledge of ice and ice fishing. I understand that it pops pretty good when its making ice but it seemed to be popping as we stepped down.

I could see clear into the ice and see lots of air bubbles that looked to be frozen. What's the story with those? Does that make the ice unsafe? This winter is making me question everything I thought I knew about ice fishing.

I should add that I drilled a few holes and had 8" plus everywhere. It was just kind of an odd experience that I don't ever remember experiencing in the past.