• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Personally I had 5 inches in most places but within feet of 5 inches of ice found patches of 1-2" OF ICE checked with a chisel about every 10 feet.

use caution and by all means leave the ATV at least another week and re-evaluate next week its going to be a short season as we are all ready behind, but an even shorter season if you drowned . best advise this time of year prepare for the un-thinkable. think about what if i fall in, bring rope , picks, life vest ,wrap your cell in a ziplock, dont venture out alone . check ice periodicly. You can never be to safe no matter how much ice there is . Be safe and have fun.

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Matt C

• mikeymike

• simple1

• Eric_Kruger

Heard there was a wheeler and a fish house that went through on Henry just south of Lake Washington. Sounds like the guy got out ok.

There's also rumor "floating" around a TRUCK went through on Volney. Anyone else hear this?

Personally I had 5 inches in most places but within feet of 5 inches of ice found patches of 1-2" OF ICE checked with a chisel about every 10 feet.

use caution and by all means leave the ATV at least another week and re-evaluate next week its going to be a short season as we are all ready behind, but an even shorter season if you drowned . best advise this time of year prepare for the un-thinkable. think about what if i fall in, bring rope , picks, life vest ,wrap your cell in a ziplock, dont venture out alone . check ice periodicly. You can never be to safe no matter how much ice there is . Be safe and have fun.

+1...you're all crazy!

We went to Elysian to church yesterday morning and when we got to the public axcess north of town there were two veicals out in the center of the bay, one was a pickup the other was a car. Must be the time of the year when the herd gets thinned.

I was out on Tetonka yesterday afternoon. The ice in the main lake is very sketchy. There was actually some open water pockets near the north shore straight north of the public access. Most spots near shore along the south side were 5" +/-. I got 3/4 across the lake and noticed the ice getting thinner and thinner and saw the open water so I turned around and followed my tracks back.

Just a heads up for you all...

has anyone been out to Duck Lake lately? thinking about going out tomorrow...i'm sure after the temps being in the teens tonight and tomorrow morning it will harden any slush that was on top...

You should be OK on duck. Day after all the rain there was someone out in the middle of the lake, so it couldn't have gotten any worse.

Sweet thanks for the heads up! Has anyone had any luck lately? Been out 3 times and so far just a few smaller pannies. That was on Washington.

We went to Elysian to church yesterday morning and when we got to the public axcess north of town there were two veicals out in the center of the bay, one was a pickup the other was a car. Must be the time of the year when the herd gets thinned.

Serious?

Im heading out to Shields or Kelly on Wednesday with a buddy. Im hoping for good ice. Fingers crossed.

Fished Kelly saturday. Had between 5 and 7 1/4 inches of ice.

Thanks Nige. Im hoping for more and more ice. Last year with all the snow it was a nightmare on almost any lake getting around without a sled or wheeler.

Simple1

Any new reports for Carls (McMahon) or Cedar Lake. Thinking about heading out here in the near future. Wondering what to expect for ice conditions, as well as the bite!!!

6" + on french. Primetime bite produced a couple perch and 1 walleye.

Pretty good ice out there. I was suprised to see no one else on the lake. grin Which don't bother me one bit! Be back tonight.

It was BOOM'n and mak'n ice like crazy last night too! I'd still avoid 4wheelers though - or at your own risk.

down here in illinois, we decided to chase ice and will be on french/makaska/roberds thursday and friday. just trying to figure out which one will have the best bite, where to target (first time out there, kind of fishing blind, friends family just bought a cabin on roberds) and how to plan the day.

would really like to catch some perch as we don't get alot here in nw illinois but just looking to scratch the itch for the most part.

I'll be out on Shields Lake tomorrow morning. I will be by myself in the early part and will let you guys know how the ice looks. I plan to stay shallower until my friend meets up with me.

Simple1

A couple years ago Roberds had some monster crappies. Walleyes are a little slow, but there is a little bit of everything.

Make friends with the resort owners on Roberds, they are great people.

Just got back from Shields. The only fish biting where we were at were pike. The ice was 5 to 6 inches but cracking way too much for me. Almost every step brought new cracks in the ice. I stayed closed to shore and didn't have the you know what to venture further out. Im sure we would have been fine, but just wasn't worth the risk.

Going to make my maiden voyage for 2011/2012 ice fishing year tomorrow.

Thinking of heading out to Roberds/Fox/Circle/Mazaska or Shields, maybe multiples.

Any areas to watch out for when it comes to ice?

Is there enough ice to justify the power auger?

Hand auger enough?

Oh man were we on fish yesterday on French...But they were super skiddish. I think the extremely noisy ice yesterday had the fish spooked and uninterested in biting anything. Caught one perch, and even that one perch just barely nibbled the lure. Hopefully better today.

There is not enough to brink the power auger and the ice on shields was cracking all over the place. It just made me a little nervous, probably because you could see the cracks appearing with every step. Just be careful for anyone that ventures out.

Simple1

Spent 4 hrs. on Clear by waseca, 5 ins. of ice out from the north access. I caught 30 sunfish, 4 croppies and 4 perch. I took home enough for supper, 10 sunfish, 4 croppies. Most of the sunnies were about 5 ins. long, croppies 8 ins. Ma and I had fresh fish tonight for supper.

hnd, If you are looking to catch Perch, Roberds is the place to be!

thanks! any starting points i should look at without giving too much info? or pm me.