• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

anyone know about mazaska, shields or french?

Roberds has been locked up for a few days now. I have not seen anyone on it. Zaska JUST locked up. Gonna be a week.

I will know about shields tomorrow as I drive by on my way to Avoca for some ice fishing. Rumor has it 5.6 down in SW MN.

Guys have been on Kelly Dudley for the past 3 days. Mostly in the channel between the two. But beware, its a spring fed lake, and even as of 10am today, a huge open hole west side of Kelly.

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Matt C

• mikeymike

• simple1

• Eric_Kruger

I was hoping to hit Shields this Wednesday, but I think I may finish my deer hunting and make a trip to Thorne bros for a new ice combo. I don't like to swim in December... Unless I can talk a buddy into heading out with me.

Simple1

Of course I may end up checking out some of my spots on Fox lake as it might just be locked pretty good by Wednesday.

I fished Zaska Friday afternoon, had 3-3.5" of solid ice. It won't be long until we can get the big houses out!

Thanks for the reports! Sounds like it will be worth it for me to pack the spud bar and head up that way tomorrow get an ice fix in... cool

Looking at the forecast for south central MN, I'd guess whatever ice you have tomorrow (Sunday) is pretty much what you're going to have for a few days.

Any reports for Cedar Lake north of New Prague? I need to get out there and look for myself, but it's looking like another busy weekend for me. Might not have time.

I was out this morning went off the north (old) access. 4-5 for the first 40-50 feet then dropped down to 3-4 after that. someone drilled out farther than I went. I was marking fish so i just stayed up shallow and played with the crappies. someone was out on the north end as well as someone off the new access right off the first point.....

Saw quite a few people on Mazaska ~ 7am today. Fully locked up. Shields fully locked up, saw no one on it.

I fished out by Slayton, MN today. VERY solid 4 to 5 inches of sweet black ice. They have zero snow on the ground.

Man O Man was it nice to fire up that vex, pop holes and run around the lake jiggin.

Only a few perch to show for it...but heck, I went Ice Fishin today!!!!! laugh

Wore my new Ice Armor gray/black suit today. 30+ mph winds, all I can say is WARM, dry and Comfortable!!!

Drilled through about 6" of solid clear ice on Washington tons of houses in Mudd Bay. Great day to get out! Anyone else have luck?! Not liking this warm forecast we have coming up though

I wouldn't worry too much about the "warm" weather coming. It looks like highs in low to mid 30's but 20's for lows at least in south central MN so I would guess we aren't going to lose much if anything for ice. It will probably only be in the 30's for a couple hours a day anyway. Also this will only be for a few days and then it gets colder again. Just a bump in the road.

~piker

Went out today on Duck and Elysian today. Ice on Duck was about 6" very noisy cranking a lot. Not Real safe sounding ICE. Did get a few smaller sunfish and two bass in the hole before packing it in. Elysian off HWY 60 was about 1 inch thicker. Ice was a lot better. Nothing to talk about as far as fish coming through the hole. Top of the ice looked good when we were there but when we left a lot of water stated to show from the warm wind today. Hope it re-freezes tonight. Be safe out there everyone.

dennsplace, were you the ones in the red ford? If so, we left right before you got to Duck. We found the same situation. too much movement of the ice with us on there when it was cracking :-)

New to the board - Read through most of your posts about the ice quality and thickness, on the area lakes. I saw a lot about mud bay on Washington. Any news on ice quality on other parts of the lake? I usually fish point 2 (or there abouts). Thanks

Welcome to HSO Morgs!!

It is a little early to venture on to the main lake much further then 100 yards off shore. I will more then likely be voyaging my way out to 3rd point this weekend though.

I fish Washington alot both open water and ice.

I would hold of a biut for 2nd point.

On a side note, if you go to 2nd point from Westwood, be very, very careful going through the narrows. That is a bad spot all winter long.

If I am going to go to either 2nd or 3rd poinmt, I go out of the north landing and avoid the narrows. Sppoky ice there and some years the geese try to keep it open.

There is water on top of the ice on both Francis and Rays lake, the ice doesn;t look good and the weather forcast looks worse. Be very careful out there. On a side note the guy who went thru on Cordova was pulling a fishouse with his four wheeler, went thru in 6 ft. of water. The fishouse was about 6 by 6 on wheels.

Just got off Mazaska. 3 to 5" of solid ice. Bout and inch or so of water on top.

Marked a few fish in 20 to 27 FOW. Couldn't get em to commit.

Ya the weather doesn't look like it will be to good for the ice, temperatures were in the 30 s all night, kinda sucks just found some hungry eyes on tetonka. There was 4 inches out there yesterday morning

Was able to catch a few nice bluegills on Dora. The ice was ~3-6 in. thick, but a little soft at some spots. Ended up going for a quick swim on my way back to the landing (and lost my Leatherman!!). BE CAREFUL out there guys!

I really wanted to get ourt this week but with this warm weather, there is no way I am going to test my artic armor to see how well I float in the icy water.

I have to believe the ice is about as unsafe as it can get right now with this extended warm weather.

Was out on Washington yesterday. Walked from Westwood to the narrows area. Ton of water on top of the ice. Where i was fishing there was about 4-5 inches of decently solid ice but when i walked back to Westwood later on the ice seemed much more soft and unstable. A lot of cracking going on underneath me the whole way back. Was a bit unnerving!

After tomorrow the forecast doesn't show another day above freezing so I'm sure all that water on top will harden and be as strong as ever! I'm just hoping for NO SNOW in the next day or two. All we need is more snow on weak ice ugh haha

Wow you guys work fast on responses! Thanks for the heads up on the main lake.

Warm weather and rain on the way... Looks like I'm not going on a lake for quite a while.

Warmth is actually not the worst thing....melts the junk on top and makes better ice after the cold comes back. Only concern I have right now is the heavy-duty winds they are calling for Thursday. Oh yeah, how was the ice on Roberds/French?