• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Dog Food recommendations

ClownColor

thanks for your advice. it's also 10 bucks cheaper than science diet. however money is not important when it come to my pup. good luck.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• reinhard1

• pureinsanity

• ClownColor

• deerminator

Money isn't important I realize but no sense in paying more than needed either. Same goes with humans. grin I'll buy a cheap cut and prep it right to make it fabulous versus the pricey one if possible no matter what my budget or what's in the bank account - unless the fancy one is on sale or it's a special occassion. Even then. Will have to check out the Diamond as I researched the nutritional content and it looks legit. I had dismissed it without researching when the Farm employee told me they stared carrying it "because all the pet stores stopped carrying it." That was a a red flag at first but it looks good nutritionally and the price is right.

I've fed Diamond more or less for almost 20 years...

Switched to a couple of 'premium' brands for a year each and ended up back on Diamond with no appreciable differences noted. Found out one of the 'premiums' is made at the Diamond plant and costs 20-25 bucks more per bag...

I now feed Diamond Naturals and have had great luck with it. I like the naturals but have fed the green bag and also the performance Back when my dogs were training and running in competition. Rhienhard, consider putting your pup on adult food at around 4-6 months... I do it with every one of my pups and tell all those buying pups from me to do the same. Good dog food will give the teen age pup all they need.

Good Luck!

Ken

thanks for that information. my lab pup is 4 1/2 month old now and i just bought a 20 lb bag of diamond puppy food. so when i run out i will start her with the adult. on a side note, at this age [4 1/2 months] she now weighs 42 pounds. is this the normal weight or is she going to be a big girl? thanks good luck.

I have a little pup on Science Diet as well... I thought that was top of the line?! Now you all have me curious about this Diamond stuff.

Is there a certain "type' of the Diamond you reccomend for a lab? Where do you get it? I have no Fleet farm around me....

thanks guys, this has been informative!

We have a Golden who has allergies, we used to feed Nutri-source and didn't have any issues, however, with my current job situation it was just too spendy. Went into Waconia Farm Supply and compared labels, Exclusive is another food that has almost the same exact ingredients, saving about $5 a bag and you get the sixth bag free.... Haven't had any issues with her either since making the switch. I also breed and Show Schipperke's so choice of food is important smile It is harder to find though, mostly available at Co-ops and such check out their website for locations.

Diamond gave most of our dogs gray looking stool and lots of it.....

42 pounds at 4.5 mo... I'm thinking big girl!

Slim - try Menards and pet food outlet. They carry Diamond also. I prefer the Naturals to mimimize grain in the food.

Good Luck!

Ken

I feel protein and fat contents are important combined along with how active your dog is. I use purina pro plan and really like it. I started ?with science diet but he never liked it and got sick from it occassionally. Like many people have said, many foods will work it comes down to cost and what they like.

Some of you "gourmet dog feeders" ain't gonna like this but IMHO this whole "oh me oh my what will I feed fido" thing is greatly overworked and overwrought.

If fifty years of a variety of dogs I have never had a sickly, malnourised, weak or puny dog. From as far back as I can remember all the dogs in the family, the ol' coon and fox hounds, the shaggy water spaniels,the early generation Wiemaraners, GPS and Vizla, the boneheaded Chessies the many black Lab's and a plethora of little yappy-[PoorWordUsage] house dogs have been fed one or more levels of Purina dog food. I recall ONE who was a little (ahem) gassy on occasion and another who took his time adapting to the particular blend we were then using, but nobody has ever walked away from a bowl at our place. Very, very few little table scraps other than green beans and maybe rice.

Now, ya'll can buy that "trainer approved" and "vet reccomended" gourmet stuff if you wish-hey! it's your money. But when times get tough head to the Big Box place and buy a 40 Lb. bag of Purina Lamb and Rice and call it good.

If your dog turns up his nose at it after two days calle me. I'll come have a chat with him. Ha!!

PS: Go Vikings............to California! Yaaaaayyyy.

Sounds good Ufatz...though your purina may cost MORE then what others on here are suggesting. That Diamond food is the cheapest I've seen and probably cheaper $10 sheaper then Purina and you get more per bag.

Thanks everyone on here for your input...I'm tyring the Diamond brand as well and will see if the meat and rice diet help out with the allergies over the corn based food I was giving her.

sure, Purina and whatever floats your boat, it's your choice and if your having great results i think that's great. every dog i have ever had lived a long life and the last two that i got [from the humane society] lived to be almost 15 years old and they were big dogs. the vet told us after they were gone that they lived longer than average for that type of dog. well in the first place, i know they are dogs, but i to me they were always family.

heck, Lucy, the first pure bred, papers and all chocolate lab, i often call her our only child, given that we have two daughters that have labs and kids of their own. i dont remember what we fed our two loving dogs, but maby it was Purina or whatever along with letting them lick our plates after our meals.

but i know one thing that in my opinion surpasses any food [and i know food is important] and that is giving all the love to your dog or dogs that you can, because they will give you more than you can ever give. i think that is the main reason they lived that long. for now i will feed Lucy the Diamond brand, but more than that she will get the care and love with all we can muster. good luck.

I switched my Lab to Canidae when he was a pup and have fed him that ever since, so 2 years or so. 2 years ago, that seamed to be the food that was talked about quite a bit here. He still loves it and he sure loves to lick plates clean as well.

I've had a number of good conversations with salespeople at Chuck & Don's (if you're a Twin Cites resident) and they carry plenty of good foods. In many conversations, Fromm's has come up and Orijen has been highly recommended as well although my Chuck & Don's doesn't carry Orijen for some reason.

They've also said if he loves the food you're feeding him, don't switch as it is good food and much cheaper than the others.

• 2 weeks later...

We feed Fromm and our dogs are doing good with it.

We've tried quite a few and this was the first that didn't cause an issue with either dog.

We also use the small sample bags of Orijin from Chuck and Don's as treats. The dogs think they are the best treats ever. Little do they know, it's just another food. whistle

We feed Fromm and our dogs are doing good with it.

We've tried quite a few and this was the first that didn't cause an issue with either dog.

We also use the small sample bags of Orijin from Chuck and Don's as treats. The dogs think they are the best treats ever. Little do they know, it's just another food. whistle

My dog thinks ice cubes are treats. its pretty funny, anything given to a dog by a human usually means a treat. Some dogs are just wise to certain things. For instance if I gave my dog, dogfood that he already eats every day for a treat he'd spit it out and leave it.

I feed my dog, this.

Orijin adult

Orijen%20Adult%20DOG.JPG

Quote:
GRAIN-FREE (0)

ORIJEN is grain-free and carbohydrate-limited to match the natural diet of dogs.

[Note from Admin: Please read forum rules before posting again]

THIS IS ONE OF THE MANY REASONS WHY I, NOR ANYONE ELSE SHOULD SERVE THEIR DOGS CORN FILLER GARBAGE LIKE DIAMOND

Quote:
COLUMBIA, S.C. — The U.S. Food and Drug Administration reports that at least 76 dogs nationwide are believed to have died as a result of eating contaminated Diamond Pet Foods.

The company has recalled 19 varieties of dog and cat food because tests showed high levels of aflatoxin, a naturally occurring toxic chemical that comes from a fungus found on corn and other grains that causes severe liver damage in animals.

The company recalled products manufactured at its Gaston, S.C., plant from around September to November 2005. Based on sample testing, Diamond has narrowed down the exposure to food produced on Oct. 11, Brinkmann said Thursday.

I have been feeding my springer Orijen and he likes it. But I have noticed since switching to a grain free higher protein diet he has been gassy. His skin has always been itchy and ears infected frequently. I decided to switch to Natures Variety Instinct. After bringing him to the vet she thought he may have a food allergy. So we are trying the duck and turkey kibble. Natures variety is a grain free and potato free food. After some research I found that potatoes can accelerate the production of yeast in dogs and also spikes their blood sugar when eating and is hard on their stomach hence the bad gas. What I like about Natures Variety is they off more of a protein specific line of food, with a good number of choices. Just started the switch today so I will post later with some results.

This filler malarky is just that. A reputable vet or authority on this subject will tell you almost every dog can digest corn or any other grain fine. Some dogs can't but they are the exception, not the majority by any means. They will also tell you meat should be one of the first three ingredients in a dry dog food and that it can be a byproduct or meal. But your food doesn't need to be a majority of meat nor a raw diet, etc. I've fed my dogs Science diet, Nutro and now Diamond. All of have contained corn of some sort and I'm not about to stop feeding them it because of the news article referenced. If that were the case, then we humans should stop eating eggs, bagged salad, peanut butter, packaged hamburger and so on.

So will the marketing people from an overpriced dog food company who think they know what's best for your dog. If your vet tries to push a certain brand of food then you're going to the wrong vet. Mine certainly won't. I tried to get her to reccommend one initially but she wouldn't. She suggested how to shop for it, what to look for in the ingredients, and so on. And I've read up on other articles by vets on what is and isn't typically beneficial for most dogs. The consensus is much ado about nothing when it comes to the overpriced dog food companies crying foul about fillers and byproducts. And none of these articles push any certain food.

It depends on what you mean by natural stuff? And I never said corn or rice, etc., which are natural "fillers," were better for your dog than meat if that's what you are implying? But neither are they harmful to most dogs. In fact, they can be good for the active dog in that they can burn the carbs first, saving on the protein in the meat portion of the food. Just like humans. And meat byproducts are not as high quality meat as choice cuts, but its not hooves, horns and roadkill. In fact, the FDA has fairly strict standards about what can be called a byproduct in dog food.

It all comes down to what you think is best for your dog. Some people want to serve up a 5 star meal for their pooch. Others are happy with the three star, and by all accounts, still getting their dog all the nutrition they need.

the cost difference is minimal if you have a hunting dog taking into consideration how much you spend on hunts, licenses and gear

lots of good reads out there on carbs

Quote:
As carnivores, dogs and cats are anatomically adapted to metabolize meat proteins and fats as energy sources — they have absolutely no carbohydrate requirement.

For dogs and cats, carbohydrates are 'empty calories' or simple sugars that provide little nutritional value beyond their controversial energy potential. As cats and dogs are able to get all of the glucose they need from protein and fat, carbohydrates are not needed in their diet.

The over consumption of complex carbohydrates such as corn and rice break down into sugar in the body. Carbohydrates raise blood sugar levels, which create a rise in a hormone secreted by the pancreas called 'insulin' — an action that affects diabetes and obesity. Feelings of hunger and weakness usually follow the rapid rise and fall of blood sugar levels.

As carbohydrate content is seldom claimed on dog and cat food packages, most pet lovers are unaware that their pet's food contains 40% to 50% of carbohydrates — which are inappropriate for dogs or cats and far removed from their natural diets.

after reading the above there is no question that poor pet food is why American pets are the fattest pets on earth

It also begs the question as to why people would buy food that contains stuff that have little to no value for a dogs nutrition needs.

I wouldn't blame it all on the dog food. More or less its all on the owner.

Two scenarios of two labs on the SAME dog food.

Dog 1

He lives outside in a insulated kennel, he indulges on the finer things of live, like the inside of a house, occasional table scraps. In winter he gets fed double what he gets fed in spring, summer and fall. This is to make him a bit more tubby since he is an outside dog. But in spring, summer and fall. His food intake is cut back. He gets fed once a day.

Dog 2 lives in the house. obsesses over food, he gets fed twice a day. He lives in the house 24/7. He is what I call a fireplace dog.

Both dogs are fed the same food, but different amounts.

Dog 1 spends most of his day lounging in the house or outside running around 29 acres being a dog.

dog 2 sleeps all day long, well I guess I do not know what he does as I am at work. But I can assume hes frolicking from couch to love seat to bed to floor to repeat all over.

What I am getting at is the owner is the problem for fatty dogs...

Dog 1 is my dog, dog 2 is my significant others. My dog gets exercise, he hunts, he goes along with me almost every where. He is constantly exercising and has the stamina to run all day long.

Dog 2 sleeps, he might grab a toy, throw it around in the house but after 4 minutes he drops it and goes back to the couch. You can take him for walks, but upon return goes to the couch. When you take him out to play he will run for 10 maybe 15 minutes and then he gets tired and lays down.

So again its owners that create a fat dog problem. If you feed your dog and get them more active they wont get fat. Just like people need to work off calories they intake so do dogs.

THIS IS ONE OF THE MANY REASONS WHY I, NOR ANYONE ELSE SHOULD SERVE THEIR DOGS CORN FILLER GARBAGE LIKE DIAMOND

I'm sure the attorney's from Diamond would love to have a chat with your statement... It is Libel and not factual... from their website:

Diamond Naturals

Diamond Naturals Uncompromising Quality and Performance, Naturally.

We are proud to offer Diamond Naturals for our customers who value natural diets for their pets—a diet made possible by holistic, all–natural ingredients found inside each Diamond Naturals formula. Each formula is corn–free, soy–free and wheat–free.

Formula Features:

•Antioxidants for overall good health and a strong immune system.

•Animal protein sources for the best amino acid ratio and superior digestibility.

•A blend of omega fatty acids for healthy skin and a shiny coat

•Natural fiber ingredients to help maintain optimal digestion and intestinal health.

•Glucosamine and chondroitin are added to help support healthy joints. *

•DHA (docosahexaenoic acid) is added to Diamond Naturals Puppy formulas, Diamond Naturals Kitten Formula and Diamond Naturals Active Cat to help promote proper brain and vision development. *

•No Corn, No Wheat, No Soy

* In select formulas only

Water, in the form of steam, is used in the cooking process for dry pet food. Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover's Soul Pet Food uses a water purification process known as reverse osmosis, which is the same process that many bottled water manufacturers use. In reverse osmosis, water is forced through extremely fine filters, removing microorganisms, organic chemicals, and inorganic chemicals. The end result is purified water, which is then used in the form of steam in the cooking process for Chicken Soup dry pet food.

I've fed Diamond Naturals for 5 years and Diamond for the better part of 20 years. My last Lab lived till 15 1/2 and hunted hard till 12 1/2. Never had a problem with allergies, or any other food related problem. Not one lab in over two dozen and nor my Cocker has EVER had a weight issue. Simply put weight isswues come from over feeding and lack of activity, just like people. I scheduel feed and my dogs are active and they never vary more than a couple of pounds unless they are sick...

I have a friend that only buys organic for their produce. Says all other food we eat is terrible for us. I don't buy into that statement any more than someone spouting that their 60 dollar a bag food is any better for my dog than my $28 a bag food.

To each their own.... use what works for your dogs.

Show me a vet that sells Diamond... My vet says it is a good food...

Good Luck!

Ken

+1 on diamond.

My dog is 12.5 years old. Still hunting strong. He out lasts me in the field. and hes 50 some years older then me!

+1 been using Diamond for my last 2 dogs. Brittney went 16 1/2 years Draht is 8. My breeder and his vet recommend the Diamond foods. I used National food before Diamond but it was hard to get.

Mwal

For those that recommend Diamond Dog food are you reommending the Premium or the Maintenance?? I read the labels and the Premium has more calories and says for active dogs. I was thinking the premium during the hunting season and the Maintenance the rest of the year???? Also what are you paying for a 40 lb bag. It is 25$ for a 40 lb at my local store.