• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

What do you think of this?

lient

What a horrible situation this is now. I agree that it is the dog owners responsibility to keep their dogs on their property, But having had a dog growing up, they do get away from you, from time to time, no matter how much you try to not let it happen.

I've also seen the other side of the situation too. When I was younger and hunting birds on our property, I was rounding a corner in the trail when a big Doe almost ran me over, she was wet with sweat and and panting hard as she blew past me. I knew something must be chasing and just then I hear something else coming my way fast and loud! I was hoping it wasn't a bear or big cat. I readied my trusty bolt action .410 for the worst and held my breath... It was two coon hounds. I lowered the shotgun and screamed and hollered at those hounds in a way that would make a sailor blush. (glad dad wasn't with to hear) The two hounds did a quick about face and headed back the way they came. When I got back to the cabin I told my Dad what happened (except for my choice of words). He said he knew that they were the neighbors dogs and was very happy I had not shot at them. He said although it was bad to see the dogs chase a deer on one day, It would be worse to have bad feelings between neighbors for life. It was a good lesson learned. To this day I would rather give up a good hunt then to have bad blood on my hands.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ClownColor

• jabug

• TooTallTom

• upnorth

Top Posters In This Topic

bash me if you want but if im out hunting and i see a deer with a dog chasing it im taking out the dog first

And believe me I would be turning your butt in if I knew about it, even if it wasn't my dog. Hunting license doesn't give you the right just shoot whatever tickles your butt.

but why is it my responsibility to have to use my time to call law enforcement, by the time they get there my hunting day is ruined and the dogs are back home,

So your solution is just to shoot the dog/s, cuz your day is ruined? Really? So just shoot someone's pet cuz you MAY have missed shooting a deer? I guess I don't see part of a day of hunting worth breaking the law and taking the life of someone's pet.

Hunting license doesn't give you the right just shoot whatever tickles your butt.

If something even tries to tickle my butt, I'm shooting it! Hunting license or not...

bash me if you want but if im out hunting and i see a deer with a dog chasing it im taking out the dog first

Wow...I'll start! You're an [PoorWordUsage]! you'd take someones pet, a mans best friend, a memeber of a family to some over a wild animal that we hunt for food? When did a deer give you that much respect? Why do you hunt it then? Would you shoot another hunter who is going after "your" deer? Would you shot a poacher?

My dog is VERY well trained but just this fall we kicked up a deer grouse hunting and the animal insticts took over a gave a short chase.

A dog should listen to every cammand you say? Do you have kids? Do they listen to EVERY thing you say? They ever get in a fight at school? Do something they weren't supposed to? And kids should be smarter then dogs right?

You are a disgrace to hunters! If you are having problems with dogs on your property then call a CO or other peace officer.

Then you would be a criminal, no two ways around it. You think your hunt is more important than obeying the law and more important than being a compasionate human being.

You can talk tough now but are you also tough enough to walk up to a child and tell them that you just killed their dog because it ruined your afternoon hunt?

Sometimes I cringe at what people can justify to themselves.

A lot of I's, My's and Me's. I wouldn't be so sure either that your hunt is ruined, that is no 100% sure thing. My darn dog tore his chain out of his doghouse, tracked me down dragging 20 feet of chain, likely about hung himself, stood on my ladder stand looking up at me, I got down, he was excited, walked him home, put him in the garage went back to my stand and an hour later I was field dressing a large 10 pt buck that was chasing 2 mature does and here's the kicker, this is on only 25 acres of cover, no other cover to speak of nearby, they were bedded in there and got up and started the chase, they did not come in there from someplace else and I know this as I backtracked them about 50 yards and found 3 large fresh beds. Now, I get your drift and maybe that was 1 in a million but hey don't blame the dog(s) as you weren't guaranteed to see any anyway, do the right thing.

Quote:

Not that I would shoot the dog or condone shooting the dog but I thought it actually WAS legal to shoot a dog if it is ACTUALLY chasing deer? Has this law changed?

Yes the law has changed, I think it was mentioned above. You can no longer shoot a dog during hunting season. Between July 15th and Dec. 31st it is illegal to shoot them, a CO can be called and he can shoot the dog but not a hunter.

If they are chasing big game between Jan 1 and July 14th it is still legal for you to shoot them.

Page 22 of your MN Hunting Regulations, Dogs Pursuing Big Game. It makes no distinction between public and private land.

Shooting a dog, shooting a deer. Neither are humans, both 'animals.' If neither are under control they are both wild.

Maybe if our leash laws, trespass laws, and hunter harassment laws covered this thing than the poor dogs wouldn't have ended up how they did. Stupid humans.

Just so everybody knows, WCCO TV in Minneapolis had a story tonight about the "hunters killing a little girls dog" in northern Minnesota. And of course it featured the little girl crying about her dog. It also mentioned that authorities "may" have a pretty good idea who did the shooting.

Look: I'm aware of the various laws in various states about shooting dogs pursuing wildlife. But it isn't the end of the world if you miss a shot at a deer and cut some slack to the dogs or their owners. Generally, dogs that are chronic deer chasers WILL get their due eventually.

From what I know I'd judge these guys to be trigger happy jerks who have just done the hunting fraternity a bad favor.

As usual, it pays to think twice before you pull the trigger. Too many guys today who call themselves "hunters" don't do that.

And you can bash me if you want. If I find out you shot my dog you will get the same treatment from law enforcement because of the cruel way you treated my dog. Someone's dog is not just an animal. They are family members who grow up with their children. I suppose if some little kid was walking through the woods while you were hunting you would shoot them too? The people who did this were spineless and heartless. The world would be a better place with out people like them.

Clever edit of my post. Doesn't change the way I feel. My dogs are family to me. You shoot one and you're risking your life.

i still have not seen anyone responed to the fact that dogs are chaseing deer and why that is ok. lots of thats illegali will turn you in and even one who threatens the life of who might do it. to that i say you should put that much effort into keeping your dogs home and there is no problem.

i bring up the same point another poster did. should not the owners of running dogs be held liable for the same trespass hunter harrassment and pursuing game without a license citations that a person would recieve.

still waiting for someone to explain to me why it is ok for dogs to run deer? just because they are your pet it's ok. that doesnt seem right to me

i still have not seen anyone responed to the fact that dogs are chaseing deer and why that is ok. lots of thats illegali will turn you in and even one who threatens the life of who might do it. to that i say you should put that much effort into keeping your dogs home and there is no problem.

i bring up the same point another poster did. should not the owners of running dogs be held liable for the same trespass hunter harrassment and pursuing game without a license citations that a person would recieve.

still waiting for someone to explain to me why it is ok for dogs to run deer? just because they are your pet it's ok. that doesnt seem right to me

Are you insinuating the dogs were running deer? Maybe some proof would be in order.

i'm not talking about the two dogs that were killed. no one seems to know the whole story on that. i am talking about dogs running deer in general

Nobody is saying it is "ok"...but you don't kill someones pet for it! Just think if we could shoot something for it not being "ok". I'd have 3/4 of the people around me gone...and to someone else, I'd be gone.

Lets turn this back on you...what makes a deer SO special that you should be allowed to kill what ever is chasing it?

AND you don't need any other excuses then IT IS ILLEGAL! Who cares why-if you don't have enough common sense to figure that out that you are kill someones pet over some wild animal you shouldn't even be allowed to carry a weapon.

She me the quote where someone said it's okay for deer to run down a deer?

i'm not talking about the two dogs that were killed. no one seems to know the whole story on that. i am talking about dogs running deer in general

The guy/s who shot the dogs knows, but highly unlikely that are going come forward with any info and admit to shooting the dogs. That will put them in an even more defensive position than now.

I agree that people need to keep control of their dogs and other pets for that matter. But if they are running deer it should be turned over to the authorities and let them handle it. During hunting season it is too easy for someone to just say pizz on this I am going to kill something and blame it on running deer. Best left to authorities.

i put alot of time effort and money into providing quality deer habitat where i hunt. i practice qdm and i dont need some irresponsible pet owners dog running deer on my land and causing them undo stress. wild animals face enough danger from other wild animals they dont need your pet chasing them to. according to you since it is a dog it has more rights then other animals on this earth. everyone here seems to think it is ok for dogs to run deer for the fun of it but if it is a wolf or cat it should be gone.

sorryt but an animal is an animal and i probably respect the outdoors more then most here. so what should one do if dogs are running deer just turn a blind eye and call it ok

i put alot of time effort and money into providing quality deer habitat where i hunt. i practice qdm and i dont need some irresponsible pet owners dog running deer on my land and causing them undo stress. wild animals face enough danger from other wild animals they dont need your pet chasing them to. according to you since it is a dog it has more rights then other animals on this earth. everyone here seems to think it is ok for dogs to run deer for the fun of it but if it is a wolf or cat it should be gone.

sorryt but an animal is an animal and i probably respect the outdoors more then most here. so what should one do if dogs are running deer just turn a blind eye and call it ok

Again..show me the ONE QUOTE in here that someone said it was okay for a dog to run deer?

I never said a dog has more rights then any other animal on earth. You can't just kill anything you want cause it interfers with your QDM.

And I do not doubt you respect the outdoors more then most on here...Besides your private QDM area I'm sure you volunteer regularly to help out in other outdoor activites as well....

seems everyone is defending dogs and not thinking it is a big deal i didnt say there is a quote where someone said that just not many saying it is a bad thing and the should be some recourse the owners of these dogs should face if they can't keep thier pet from doing this

Also, an FYI...it is ILLEGAL to shoot a wolf (or cat) as well! you may want to, but it's illegal and you might even see some prison time as it is federal protected.

seems everyone is defending dogs and not thinking it is a big deal i didnt say there is a quote where someone said that just not many saying it is a bad thing and the should be some recourse the owners of these dogs should face if they can't keep thier pet from doing this

Yep-keep back peddeling. You did say that and no one is saying otherwise. It is NOT okay for dogs to chase deer but death is not a punishment YOU can hand out when YOU want.

And you can get fined for dogs tresspassing and chasing wildlife...but not the death penalty.

I'm done (maybe) ranting with this but YOU, AS A HUNTER, NEED TO TAKE RESPONSIBILITY AND MAKE RESPONSIBLE DESICIONS WITH A WEAPON THAT CAN TAKE THE LIFE OF WHAT YOU CHOOSE TO SHOOT! IT'S NOT UP TO YOU OR ANYONE ELSE HERE BESIDE A PEACE OFFICER (and even they will have to deal with a judge) WHEN DISPATCHING OF ANY LIFE (animal or human).

Good luck Jabug and keep up the wonderful job of respecting the outdoors!

I will keep up my respecting the outdoors thank you. Also I will not sit by and let someones pet destroy that outdoors because an owner can't control their pet. This whole thing is about dogs running deer and I feel it is wrong. Certain situations call for certain actions be it a phone call or a shot. Thanks for reading my post you all know how I feel about this subject. Time to put it to rest and move on to more important things like stopping the netting

The dogs were not chasing deer. You're assuming. These were not some mutts that lived outside. They were trained dogs that were taken care of and loved by the family.

If they were so well trained, why would they not come back when yelled for? Until the rest of the story is told, everyone is believing these were some innocent dogs and dog owners. If this was the first time this happened I don't believe these dogs would be dead, and again maybe both sides of the story should be reported.