• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Join In - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

You know what we all love...

The same things you do!!!! Share what you love & enjoy in the outdoors as well as thank those whose posts you 'appreciate.'

Have Fun!!!

cookie129

Upper Red Lake Fishing Reports by Cookie

Borch
9 hours ago, ozzie said:

Those fish like to hide out in the reeds...trolling cranks of course is always the way to cover the most water and I am sure can be relaxing and effective up there.  

A lot of times it's not relaxing at all.   Dang walleye keep hittng those cranks.  ?. Jigging and pitching weeds are a great technique too.  Plus it's not unusual to stick a few slabs in the process.

• Like 1

postman

Cookie where are you? Miss your reports!

cookie129

hey Postman still here lurking. I'll be brutally honest. I don't report as much in the summer as the lake gets pounded by day trippers and it drives me crazy. We have two cabins here that sit empty  during the week. Then after mid june it dead. Our cabins are pretty much wide open the rest of the summer other  then a family get together coming up over the forth. I realize there many resorts with in 100 miles and on the nice days they come up for the day.. I have two summer jobs one at the golf course and the other here in town mowing the ball fields and park. plus cleaning the outhouses. Not much to report there other then my golf game seems to never get better. Cleaning the outhouses drive me crazy when they pile there garbage in the little trash cans in them. I guess its better then littering but there not in there to pile in all your garbage from being in the boat all day then leave town.

Now for a fishing report I had Jim, Jim  Gavin and Hunter here for a week fishing with Tylor and they did well. Best fishing they have ever had. They caught  a little bit of every thing and ate fish. I have not had much time to fish but plan on getting out next weekend as we have company coming up. The blue berry bushes look real good so I hoping for a bumper crop of them to pick.. I did not spend enough time looking for morel mushrooms , Now I have to wait another year. If you have never eaten them the taste with beef is unreal as they were made for each other.

postman

Good to hear you're still out there Cookie! I know what you mean about the golf game! Have never eaten morel mushrooms but would like to try them. Sounds like fishing was good this spring . Any of the elusive crappies caught this spring? Was up this winter best fishing we've ever had! No crappies but nice 17 inch walleyes. Will be back for sure this winter and will try to stay in one of your houses. Take care and don't eat too many blueberries!

cookie129

I don't think you could ever eat to many blueberrys, We did have one decent evening crappie fishing, but I never mentioned it as we had a discussion this winter about 20 boats all taking limits last year. I said I never saw 20 boats fishing there but I may not of been out there if that was true. I have seen up to 6 boats on that spot though.

The guys in the green cabin last week ate fish two nites but struggled to catch limits. This was there first time here. Even though I told them if I was fishing what I would do they did not try that and just drifted..

I have a few friends coming up this weekend so we will see how we do

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

postman

Thanks for the report cookie. Been wondering how is fall fishing on Red? You're probably right on the blueberries!

cookie129
  • It's not always about the fishing here in what most call gods country. Wayne and I were on the lake sunday morning and ran into Bill from grand raids so he ask why I have not been posting reports.  Summer here in waskish is soo much different then our busy winters.  As summer heats up the fishing can slow up that's for sure. The big Pike can be fun to target. I do have my favorite summer spots, with early morning being better.  Working at the golf course in Baudette Oak harbor golf course and taking care of the ball fields and park here in town keeps me pretty busy Monday through Friday so fishing is more of a weekend deal for me .
     I never did well looking for morel mushrooms this spring. The wild strawberry's on the other hand are ripe for the picking. There tough to pick compared to blueberry's. Monday when I got home I was on a mission to go find enough for 2 strawberry sundays. It took about a hour and more then a few skitters but the hammer and I had fresh wild strawberry sundays after dinner.
     The blueberry's look small this year and were still green. I have a spot up towards baudett that I need to check out hoping The mother load is there.
     We have a pretty good sized bear running around. I saw him or her yesterday. She ran across the dirt road then made a u turn and ran back across the road  again. Beautiful looking fur looked to me like a 200 pounder?
     Justin my tree trimmer and his  friends were up  last weekend. They managed 11 keepers Thursday late afternoon evening. The wind switched up Friday and Saturday and the  fishing slowed down. I think they may of got another 10  over the weekend dodging the thunderstorms.
     Our good friend Wayne came up to help me replace a water pump/impellor on my  kicker motor. I had never done that before but with Wayne's help and a extra trip to Bemidji we got her done.
     I have 4 older gentleman coming up today so will see how they do tonight.  Wayne and I did wet a line sunday morning . She was quite breezy out there.  We drifted my go to spot with hardly a bite? Oh well. Mother nature always seems to have a hand in the oven . If they bit all the time there would be nothing left.
     We have some family coming up over the 4rth of july so should be getting out a few extra times this next 10 days

• Like 1

cookie129

well again its been some time since I have posted any fishing reports. There was a window when the big pike turned on. Last week I stopped at the beach where the dnr were doing some seining samples and I was amazed at all the small fish they caught. It was very cool to see. They have 5 spots they do. There were small 1 inch Quillbacks, sheephead, crappies  perch. 3 inch walleyes, suckers, shiners, emerald river and spot tale. they bust of had 300 little fish . To think that was just a fraction of the lake just amazes me. I'm going to try and find a crankbait that looks like a sheephead.
 My brother Warren is here for a week ,it sure is nice having such a nice brother as he always brings me gifts, He brought a small speaker that will pick up phone through blue tooth  way cool. We did get out and fish sunday and managed to catch 10 fish with only 3 being keepers. Not quite sure where the big ones are hiding but we will be getting out a couple more times.
the lake is still way down . We had a little run of 4 inches of rain and since then  barely a sprinkle.  Still loving my job at the golf course, free golf is very good .
 Hunting season is just around the corner and I expect Bob and Rick to make plans to come up in October.
Had a couple more emails for ice fishing, some people sure know how to plan.
I just missed my goal of canning 12 jars of blueberrys. I'm all ready down to 4 jars

• Like 1

monstermoose78

Seeing many grouse?

cookie129

I have not been tromping though the woods but did flush a couple picking blueberrys

• Like 1

LymanPreston

Thanks for sharing. 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• LakeofthewoodsMN
      By LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the main basin... Very strong walleye fishing continues with the jig bite picking up.  Charters finding limits of eater walleyes with big fish mixed in.  Crankbaits, spinners / crawlers and jigs with frozen shiners in main basin successful. 15-31 feet of water producing good numbers of walleyes across south shore with very good numbers in front of gap. Shiners showing up at mouth of Rainy River as well as up the Rainy River. 
      On the Rainy River... With shiners entering the river, eater walleyes showing up as well.  Anglers reporting success both jigging and pulling crankbaits.  Walleye activity will be increasing as shiner run continues.  

Up at the NW Angle... Strong numbers of walleyes being caught on mud flats and around Garden Island. 15 - 25' is a good start.  Spinners, crankbaits and jigging all producing.  Some nice jumbo perch mixed with walleyes.  Muskie activity picking up as water is cooling.  Next full moon, Sep 24.  Crappie anglers are producing big black slabs.  

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!
      Minnesota walleye action remains strong with spinners in mud bottomed areas near reefs using both minnows and crawlers. Fish can also be found in shallower water (15ft. or less) around Garden Island. Crankbaits seem to be the most effective at enticing larger fish. 
      Canadian walleye fishing has been fabulous this past week. The jig and minnow bite is on! Multiple boats ran out of bait and had just as much success switching to plastics. Bottom bouncing with crawlers remains effective in soft bottom areas as well.  Crappies continue to school up on deep water points. Hot windows of muskie bites have become shorter but still with good success.  Plenty of fish in the 4ft plus range and even a couple over 50!
      Water temps remain stable between 64-67 degrees. 
      See you soon!

Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      9.4.18 Sunset Lodge Fishing Report

Hello from the NW Angle!

In Minnesota, walleye fishing remains best with deep trolling minnow baits in 22-27 feet of water.  These same areas will provide action with a spinner and a minnow, however crawlers are still producing fish.  In the coming weeks, jig and minnow fishing will be the go to with fish stacking themselves on points and current areas. 

Canadian walleye action remains strong on bottom bouncer and spinner rigs with either a crawler or minnow.  Walleye are starting to school tighter making jig and minnow fishing very effective. Fall fishing is starting to heat up and we are seeing crappies schooled up on deep points.

Surface water temps are currently in the low 70’s throughout the day. 

We hope to see you soon!

Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!

Minnesota walleye fishing has been great using bottom bouncers and a night crawler. Anglers are being selective to fill limits with 16-18” fish as well as a few over 28 released. Most success has been in the mud, off of structure in 21-23 feet and 26-30 feet. The largest fish seem to come from South of Garden Island on crank-baits.

Canadian walleye are also most effectively targeted with bottom bouncers and spinners. Depth has not been as important as being at the bottom of a break line in the flat. Gold with chartreuse has been best as of late.  Musky activity has slowed from the prior weeks but expect it to ramp up with the full moon approaching. Perch have been schooled up on and around reefs topping out around 30 feet.

Water temps remain consistently in the low to mid 70’s. 

Remember - fall is the time for trophy fish up at the NW Angle!

Until next week,

Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!

On the Minnesota side, spinners and crawler harnesses are still the preferred method of walleye fishing, with the hot colors being pink/gold, orange/gold and orange/chartreuse. Walleye are being caught off of structure scattered in the mud between 20 and 30 feet. Down riggers and deep running crank baits have also been productive.

Canadian walleye are being caught in channels off of islands and along reefs in 18 to 25 feet of water. Both bottom bouncers with a crawler harness and a jig with minnow or shiner have both been successful in Canadian waters.

Musky fishing success has increased in the past week. Fish are being caught on crank baits and blade baits. With water temps in the low 70’s muskies are favoring rocks near weeds. 

Our very own, Travis Palmquist, released a 54.5" musky yesterday!

Fall is a great time for trophy fishing!

We hope to see you soon,

Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!

In Minnesota, walleye are still scattered through out the main lake basin. Night crawlers on a spinner remains most effective.  Make drifts/passes parallel but off of structure including islands and reef break lines in 24-30 feet.  Hot colors have been gold/pink, gold/orange or hammered gold.  Deep running crank baits are another good option, often producing bigger fish and large northern pike. 

On the Canadian side of the lake, fish can be schooled on humps and reefs.  Once located, fish these areas with a jig and minnow or shiner.  Pulling spinners in 25-30 feet of water is most productive in covering ground to locate feeding and roaming walleye.  Muskie action continues to improve through out the week.  Multiple big fish were caught on Sunday with many others boated as well as, a lot of lookers.  As activity levels rise, blade baits have been triggering positive reactions. Water temperatures remain consistent in the low 70's. 

Until next week,

Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!
      Water temps are consitently in the mid to high 70’s.
      Walleye in Minnesota can be caught on reefs with a jig and minnow. More productive methods currently are bottom bouncers and crank-baits in 24-28 feet of water.  Covering a lot of ground is key when the fish arent schooled together.  We have had many 40”+ Pike caught while trolling, reports of large Muskie also.
      Candian walleye are spread out as well, making bottom bouncing and deep cranks the ticket to success. Fish mud bottomed areas deeper than 25ft for best results. Many nice jumbo perch limits have been coming in recently. They are biting on a jig and fathead and are concentrated at 28-30ft.
      Until next week,
      Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!

Water temperatures are starting in the low 70’s in the morning, reaching mid to upper 70’s in the evening.

Minnesota walleye action can be hot running deep diving crank-baits straight, down rigging or lead core. Soft bottom areas can also be worked with spinners and a night crawler.  Fish have been favoring gold on bright days and orange, chartreus or pink in low light.  Many larger northern pike this last week in the boat via crank-baits just outside of rock reefs and points.

Canadian walleye fishing has been more productive away from reefs and points in soft bottomed areas. The best method is to pull a spinner to find concentrations along the bottom and switch to jigging to fill out limits.

Musky attitude in Canada varies day to day. Plenty of fish are still being caught in shallow weeds including a couple of 50+ giants this past week.  Fish are also being caught in more traditional mid-summer spots such as rock reefs and points.  The most productive baits this week were crane baits or other flat baits, buck tails and top waters. 

Until next week,
      Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from Sunset Lodge!

In Minnesota, walleyes and pike have been found using crank-baits on the south side of Oak Island.  Walleye have also been caught pulling spinners in 26-30 feet using gold and green.

In Ontario, walleye have been very active using pink and orange jigs on the breaks of reefs or casting shallow crank-baits in 8-12 feet by rocky shoreline points.  A good mixed bag of smallmouth and pike have been found with the walleye as well.

Musky fishing has really picked up with lots of fish over 40+ inches.  Fishing sand and weedy bays near rock reefs have produced well using buck-tails, small crank-baits and top-water baits. 

Until next week!
      Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!

Water temperatures are currently hovering in the mid 70’s.

Minnesota walleye action has been really good with bottom bouncers and a night crawler. Gold spinners with hints of chartreuse, orange or just hammered gold are favored.  Walleye and occasional large pike can be had trolling deep diving crank baits around shoreline breaks and reefs.

Canadian walleye fishing continues to excite anglers via jigs and minnows. Pink or white jigs tipped with shiners will put fish in the boat.  Night crawlers on spinners will produce fish in the mud deeper than 25 feet. 

Musky action has been all over the place, fish are still being found in sandy, weedy bays, rock points and reefs.  The nearing new moon should have fish on the prowl this week. 

Congratulations to our neighbor and local guide, Forrest Huset and his dad Sean on their victory at the Lake of the Woods Musky Bowl this weekend!

Another neighbor, Jerry Klema, landed a 29 1/2 inch trophy walleye last week!

Until next week,
      Sunset Lodge

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• leech~~
      Word, Yak Bowstring. 😉
    • Big Dave2
      Wanderer, do you frequent the area often?
    • Fishouttawater
      Anyone know what water temps are recently? Hoping they start dropping quick
    • Wanderer
      Well we’re back home and tired!   We tried to get lost as best we could in the Itasca/Cass counties area.  Looking for carry in accesses to kayak into duck hunting heaven. 😅  So was everyone else and they had jon boats with mud motors.   We had a great time despite some negative highlights that really affected everyone’s hunting.  We found a roost during scouting on Friday, along with a great campsite to stay.  The roost and campsite were 2 miles apart though.  We scoped out the closest spot we dared set up the following morning cuz, Don’t shoot the roost, right?  Paddling by 3:30 am we got our spot, not flushing too many birds out.  Sure enough a boat with 3 guys churns past us later and deep into the roost.     Sure enough again, birds blow out but settle back down.  We still think we’re in a good intercept spot with a convincing decoy spread laid out.   Low and behold, 8 minutes before legal shooting hours the three guys open up a barrage of shots that starts scattering everything to the wind.  Birds are whizzing by us but we hold our shots.  5 minutes to go and they open up again.  At 2 minutes to go the rest of the groups in the area start popping off.  Everything is flying high now and showing NO interest in decoys.  We have birds going over us but too darn high.  Not for everyone else though, they’re blasting at birds higher than the tree tops.  Sigh...   The three guys churn back by us maybe an hour into the day - limited out I’m sure.  We were the last ones back to the “carry in” access and were greeted by a group of 4 with 2 boats that scouted Friday also.  We know where each other were hunting.  They had that look on their face like they were expecting some answers.  That was enough for us to say “It wasn’t us!”     It was a civil conversation after that. Local guys, upset with the shenanigans as well.  Three groups were able to get just half a limit with the tough shooting after the blowout.  All pass shooting; nothing coming to the dekes.  Those birds are spooky and know their safe distances.  Such a difference than expected.   We put plenty of miles on the truck and about 15 miles paddling looking for Mecca.  It’s a tough game around there that needs some more time to figure out.  But it’s a fun area to look at.  Short of not coming back with limits of ducks, it was a good, long weekend.  
    • ozzie
      good to hear!  How were ya catching them?  Redtails, trolling, jig n leech?  what depths were ya finding them at? on weedlines or over structure?  I don't want to know the spot but some more detailed information can help us all!😎  Thanks for posting!!
    • moneyback2
      walleye fishing was pretty good on lake alexander this weekend.
    • thunderbirdprince
    • Rick
      Several connected lakes also added to infested waters list The Minnesota Department of Natural Resources has confirmed a report of zebra mussels in Blandin Reservoir on the Mississippi River, abutting the city of Grand Rapids in Itasca County. Several lakes connected to the reservoir by a Mississippi River tributary are also being added to the infested waters list.  Itasca County invasive species staff contacted the DNR after finding zebra mussels on settlement samplers that were installed this spring near the public access on the east side of the reservoir. Settlement samplers are solid surfaces placed in the water that people can regularly check for attached zebra mussels. DNR invasive species staff confirmed zebra mussels on old saw logs and other logging relics throughout the reservoir. The Mississippi River splits near the reservoir, and a tributary connects several nearby lakes. Because of the connection, Lake Pokegama, Jay Gould Lake, Little Jay Gould Lake, and the Mississippi River from Lake Winnibigoshish to Mississippi Lake will also be added to the infested waters list. DNR invasive species specialists recently confirmed zebra mussels at several points in that stretch of the river. No zebra mussels were found in recent surveys of Lake Pokegama and Jay Gould Lake, but they will be added because they are closely connected to waters with confirmed zebra mussel populations. Following additional surveys and technical review, more distant connected waters may also be added to the infested waters list. To reduce the risk of spreading aquatic invasive species, activities like bait harvest, commercial fishing, and water appropriation are managed differently in infested waters. The DNR has already been in contact with some of the businesses that would be affected by this designation, along with the Leech Lake Band of Ojibwe. The DNR appreciates the help and cooperation of Itasca County staff, who detected zebra mussels, notified the DNR and assisted with the follow-up investigation. Whether or not a lake is listed as infested, Minnesota law requires boaters and anglers to: Clean watercraft and trailers of aquatic plants and prohibited invasive species. Drain all water by removing drain plugs and keeping them out during transport. Dispose of unwanted bait in the trash. Some invasive species are small and difficult to see at the access. To remove or kill them, take one or more of the following precautions before moving to another waterbody: Spray with high-pressure water. Rinse with very hot water (120 degrees for at least two minutes or 140 degrees for at least 10 seconds). Dry for at least five days. Zebra mussels can compete with native species for food and habitat, cut the feet of swimmers, reduce the performance of boat motors, and cause expensive damage to water intake pipes. People should contact an area DNR aquatic invasive species specialist if they think they have found zebra mussels or any other invasive species. More information is available at mndnr.gov/ais. Discuss below - to view set the hook here.
    • Rick
      The Minnesota Department of Natural Resources has confirmed reports of zebra mussels in Sauk Lake, near Sauk Centre in Todd County.  A resident on the northeast side of Sauk Lake contacted the DNR after finding numerous zebra mussels up to one-half inch in length on a boat lift being removed for the season. DNR invasive species staff found zebra mussels on rocks in the same area of the lake. Sauk Lake is downstream from Lake Osakis and the Sauk River to Guernsey Lake, where zebra mussels were previously confirmed. Whether or not a lake is listed as infested, Minnesota law requires boaters and anglers to: Clean watercraft and trailers of aquatic plants and prohibited invasive species. Drain all water by removing drain plugs and keeping them out during transport. Dispose of unwanted bait in the trash. Some invasive species are small and difficult to see at the access. To remove or kill them, take one or more of the following precautions before moving to another waterbody: Spray with high-pressure water. Rinse with very hot water (120 degrees for at least two minutes or 140 degrees for at least 10 seconds). Dry for at least five days. Zebra mussels can compete with native species for food and habitat, cut the feet of swimmers, reduce the performance of boat motors, and cause expensive damage to water intake pipes. People should contact an area DNR aquatic invasive species specialist if they think they have found zebra mussels or any other invasive species. More information is available at mndnr.gov/ais. Discuss below - to view set the hook here.
    • Rick
      The Minnesota Department of Natural Resources has confirmed reports of zebra mussels in Big Pine Lake, just northwest of Mille Lacs Lake in Aitkin County.  A lake property owner contacted the DNR after finding four adult zebra mussels on docks and boat lifts being removed from the lake for the season. The DNR confirmed zebra mussels at that location and about a half-mile west of the original location. No zebra mussels were found during searches of the nearest public access and near an island on the lake. Whether or not a lake is listed as infested, Minnesota law requires boaters and anglers to: Clean watercraft and trailers of aquatic plants and prohibited invasive species. Drain all water by removing drain plugs and keeping them out during transport. Dispose of unwanted bait in the trash. Some invasive species are small and difficult to see at the access. To remove or kill them, take one or more of the following precautions before moving to another waterbody: Spray with high-pressure water. Rinse with very hot water (120 degrees for at least two minutes or 140 degrees for at least 10 seconds). Dry for at least five days. Zebra mussels can compete with native species for food and habitat, cut the feet of swimmers, reduce the performance of boat motors, and cause expensive damage to water intake pipes. People should contact an area DNR aquatic invasive species specialist if they think they have found zebra mussels or any other invasive species. More information is available at mndnr.gov/ais. Discuss below - to view set the hook here.