• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Upper Red Lake Fishing Reports by Cookie

cookie129

Hard to live some things down. Just showed this to my wife, she said hers was that big. Yup, right before she ran out of line. smile. At least she's still talking to me.

yup definately a big gator. I must say it is nice that those fish of that caliber, although a trophy class anyhow, are still protected.

28 to 44 need to be released.

The fishing again this week end was fantastic, All 4 houses have produced limits with c@r the common theme. How sweet is that. Will be heading out early this morning to say good bye to all the guys. Hillmens having a chile contest today at 3. lookinf forward to trying a few different chiles as I have not perfected a reciepe.

We have Rick coming today for one night and Elliot coming mid week,When I headed out last night to check on all the houses and a couple wheel houses were set up where I plowed a couple spots. I'm glad they found them ,hopfully there friendly and I can get a honest report from them. Hillmens road is in great shape ,sure not seeing the traffic out there like down at rodgers though.The wife and I went down last night for a pizza and I would have to say they have one of the better frozen pizzas I have had. I have a weak spot when it comes to pizza and it was darn near as good as mine. Jake says I should sell them but it takes about a hour just to make one. To time consuming though.

takes an hour to make that pizza and 9 mins to eat one! Maybe if you spend an hour on a chile recipe, you'd have a contender at the chile cook off!

Yes under 44" protected. The fish was 43" long. Not sure if the angler would have kept it even if it made the 44" mark or not, but either way its a trophy. And definately a fish to be proud of releasing.

Well she was another great fishing weekend, kevin and rolin were in california te first night and florida the second night they did real well and said they will see me next year. Bob and loyde were in florida friday night and did real well.

Brettt and his crew Andy,andy, dave ,rob,jason had minnesota and montans,the fisrt night minnesota was on fire while montana struggled. brett was nice enough to switch house with them saturday. brett started catching fish rite away in montana while it took a while before minnesota turned on. the guys in minnesota finaly started catching fish . Brett said it was a fantastic trip and they caught well over 70 fish.

Yesterday Dale,Gus and Hans fished montana from noon to 6 and came off the lake with there 12. Dale said he will be back next year with his 7 year old son hunter . Knock on wood but so far the weekend fishing has been excellent . Not sure when I should leave the area I'm fishing as it just been to good.

I did cut a few roads slash parking spots for tow behinds, Three shacks found those trails. The one house that had 2 guys landed 15,the other house had only managed 1 even after they had moved from a spot the got skunked the day before. They had a brand new ice castle and seemed like a nice couple his name was chris but never got her name.

Very nice meeting you Cookie. I should have invited you in but I thought you might be in a hurry. Thank you very much for making spots for wheel houses to pull off. We really appreciate it. After you left we did get half a dozen fish (all released because I knew we be getting home late) before we left at 1:00 pm. We would have liked to fish longer but we had to drop the house off in Buadette then head back to Gilbert. Thanks again for keeping the roads in such good shape.

Here is Amanda with one of the fish from yesterday. ( not sure why the picture is sideways )

full-14148-29770-image.jpg

you might have better luck if you put the house down instead of laying on its side. Lol nice meeting you to

4 days and counting Cookie!!!! Cant wait to see you and let the 3 in family fish Red for their first time!!! Looking forward to it!!!

heres a different report. i fished yesterday from 9 to 11 and landed 2 keeper both on the smaller side. The good eater. Today I had to meet Dale, Gus and Hans as they were heading home from lake of the woods and it was horrible . Nothing but small saugers. I think there hoping for a repeat from sunday when they were here.

I also talked to Don he came from lake of the woods yeaterday and I had him talk to dean at beacon harbor . It sounded like Dean was happy to point them in the right direction. They did well and landed two of the elusive but still catchable upper red lake crappie's

Yesterday was one of those days that were perfect for working on the lake. I fished again in old minnesota for about a hour and caught 3 fish 2 walters and one nice size perch. I kept one walter and the perch for suppper. Dale,Gus and Hans fished from 8 to 11 and got 7. Dale said they should of had more but someone could not land there fish.

Aheter my hour of fishing I came home to get blue thunderand moved minnesota and florida for the up and coming weekend.It was kinda hard to move both houses as they both were still catching fish? Elliot shows up today for florida. After moving 3 of the 4 of my fleet I cam back home to gather a few things and go fish in old minnesota and have fresh fish for dinner as the wife kellie had to work the second shift. The move seemed to be a good one as I fished from around 4 to 7 and landed a couple of fish. The rattle wheel was set up with a purple slender jig not even sure what type of lure it is as its basically shaped like a hook with a coating of purple on it. On my rod I have been fishing all year with a northland forage minnow with the treble hooks removed and a dropper line about 8 inches with a red and white flu flu jig.

I guess I lost track of how many I caught but if I wanted to keep fish I would of had my limit. While I was getting ready to go I decided to do a little experiment. I turned the radio up and started the red baron, it took about 5 minutes tops before I had another keeper and fat 16, The biggest fish I caught was a 21 and the smallest was about 6 inches.

More snow yesterday , Elliot and tony rolled in at 2 yesterday. At one point it was white out conditions . Checking in on them at 6 they haad 7 in the bucket and had released 3, I was way happy with that . Greg rolls in somtime this morning for old minnesota. I still have not decided if I should move montana and california. This year is different for some reason and the houses keep having good fishing . Maybe its the abundent amount of fish in the lake. Montana was fished tuesday and they got 7 keepers in just a couple of hours of fishing.

man has the season gone by quickly with only 3 weekends left. The last weekend of game fish I still have all 4 houses open.

Cookie, The family and I look to be up between 7-8 PM!!! We are all excited(probably me most of all!!). I have your # so I will give you a call after we are done at the gas station, you are running out of Hillmans right? Looking forward to the fishing!!!!

Sounds good garret,call me when you stop at the gas station. I kinda have a delemma. The guys fishing in florida, Tony and Elliot have done real well,There newer to ice fishing and are having a grand time on a grand lake. I gave them a few more lures to try and Elliot got a nice 17 1/2 while I was visiting. This is the first year since the crappie days that the houses keep catching fish. Shall I move the shack or leave it there? The area I have been working has been so good its hard to leave the area.

I'm thinking I will move california today closer to minnesota. Greg and Brent had caught over 25 fish yesterday when I left the lake at 4:30 last night. There here one more night and then I could move minnesota saturday if need be. California has not ever been fished 24 straight hours. Last friday Kevin and Rolly were

in there one night and took 7 before they ever moved to florida on saturday.

10-4 Cookie, see you tonight. Put us wherever you feel is good, I just want the kids and wife to have the experience, we will get the fish either way!!

Do to the possible snow storn Greg and Bret left last night. For some reason it had been slow most of the day with a few ones caught. I stopped in around 4 before I headed home. While visiting Greg got a nice keeper on the rattle reel. Greg called when they hit the road and said when I left all hall broke loose,They figured they caught over 20 in less then 2 hours. Rick, Mark and Robert were having a good time but not doing so well fishig. I'm thinking I would like to move them today. Garretand his family rolled in around 8pm last night. Depending how they have done so far I may also move them today.

I got to try my new simplex railroad jack yesterday. Stupid I should of spent the money on that bad boy years ago. Ken and his crew set up near me and they had a bucket full. Wild Bills buddies each had 7 keepers in the tow behinds.

Little slow this mourning but only needed one just got a nice 17" . Another great trip to the mighty Red, going to c/r for a while and leave befor we can't ! Thou radar looks pretty clear still.

With such great fishing all season long I guess I was do for a slow weekend. I so wanted Garrets family to get into them. I moved there house yesterday as well as montana. Minnesota had 3 fish 2 bigger fish a 18 and a 19 and a 16 .Lyle and his buddy had a couple. Hopfully after I made the rounds last nite the bite picked up a bit.

Thanks again Cookie!!! My family had a great time and they are excited to come again!!! We made it home in the storm in one peice and did alot of talking about the next trip we will make!!! Thanks for the memories Cookie!!!

your welcome garret you have a good looking family. Sorry the fishing was not better I expected that move to pay off.

Now its time to dig out. The snow seems heavy so I expect there's atleast a 50 50 chance of flooding. Oh well I took a lot of fish out of that 20 acres of the lake. Lee and Chris had 4 last night when I checked in with them. Going to be a busy couple of days .

Still not completly dug out, All the houses flooded a bit but not as bad as it could of been. Minnesota is on a new spot in a new area as well as montana, Ben and Sam will have minnesota for two nights and Phil and his family also roll in for montana. Eric and his two buddies had 3 in california last night and dan and Vali had there 8 and had caught so many fish from 10 inches on up to 17 thay had lost count. What sucked is that was in florida on the same spot garrets family fished the last night they were here and had vary limited success. Today the plan is to move california and florida to new areas

Been a hectic week thats for sure.New trails have been made. Lee and Chris had a blast through the storm and helped me with a couple houses before they headed home tuesday. Chris got to plow the new trail with the red baron and also widen a road with the v-plow. They ate 4 fish while they were here and went home with there 8.

ben and Sam were up to 6 fish yesterday all between that 17 to 30 inch plus a couple nice perch that they had for dinner wednesday night. Eric and his two buds also got there 12 to take home. Phil aand his family are fishing montana and were up to 3 or 4 . I have to decide if I should move them to

day plus florida even though it has not been fished. Montana floooded when we punched the holes out wednesday,so I expect florida will do the same as we piled way to much snow around the area, Oh well ruined another acre or two os the lake.

jue in from saying good bye to sam and Ben what a very nice couple fromm ill. They ended up with a nice stringer of fish . phil an dthe kids only have 5 so we may move them a little later today

aking the rounds last nite and all the houses had had action before dark and in to the darkness.

Yesterday with phil my mechanic and his son cory we moved montana and florida. Mike,Berry,Ryan and Miller arrived just as we were augering out the house. We then moved montana for Phil even though while we were moving florida the kids and Andrea had gotten 3 keepers. Then while we were moving montana mike got there first keeper. I also got to plow a few, 11 driveways for wheel house and it will be interesting to see how they have done so far .I also noticed a wheel house had found one of the old spots I had to leave because of all the snow.

Ron and Carol, Carol was relaxing in old minnesota and Ron was fishing in his pajama's. They had a couple in the bucket. Shelly, Deb, Hoagie and my daughter Melisa arrive to day for minnesota and gene and his crew roll in for california

All I can say as its been a great season so far and I will hate to see it end. The fishing has been outstanding this year. Were starting to see a lot more smaller fish. The dnr has sadi there is a abundance of the 10 and 14 inch class. I have not chased crappies and put all my effort into walleyes. Not sure what my plans will be after walleye closes next weekend. I may chase crappies for a bit if I can get a couple rentals,only mother nature and time will tell..