• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Upper Red Lake Fishing Reports by Cookie

cookie129

It was so slow in minnesota ans montana even though they were fished less then 24 hours I decided I should vacate the area yesterday. 15 minutes after the guys were in minnesota they had a bag fish on for a brief minute. Jason and his family had 12 keepers lake night . Sue said last year they only got one keeper all though they did catch some bigger fish that they coukd not keep last year. Jason said they will be back for sure next year.

Ninnnesota fought me all the way on the move. The jack would not break it loose. The area I chose had a small patch of broken ice that I had to smash down ,When I was augering I hooked the xmas lites and ripped them right out from under the house. The jack would not break the house loose and I had to chisle alll the way around the house. Blocking it up again the jack would not lift the one end high enough to get the blocks under it. Montana went much smoother. I also plan On making a bigger move as in miles this week after I do a little more scoutting. I will more then likly fish out of the wife vechicle as the prospector is still not running.

Its been a challenging week here on upper red lake. Not sure where the week went. Dave and his crew pulled out yesterday morning. After cleaning all the houses"I still get a kick out of vacuming them" it was again time to move. With this cold blast on the way my plans were to get all 4 houses out of there perches/nests/spots. The red baron made her first trip on the ice with out the v-plow. Today i will be able to pick new spots as there all staged and ready to move. Minnesota still gave me problems and It looks like I need a bigger jack or I will be battling her evertime I mave. Andy will be coming for montana so the pressure is on as he always has such high expectations. Wayne and phil are coming for minnesota and it will be nice to visit with wayne as he has not been here in a couple of years. The absolute funnest time I ever had in a fish house was with him, dave,my brother warren and I playing wee bowling for dollars. 6 hours of laughing, laughing and more laughing what a hoot it was. Tony coming for california and Cody from another fishing site will be coming for the first time.

Dave aand his crew did not pound on them but with 7 guys and 3 nights they managed to eat fish two of the 3 nights and take home a couple of limits. Jason and his family sue, megan and megans friend jake enjoyed there stay and said they would be back next year. My goal has and always willl be to treat my customers the way I would like to be treated. All my repeat cutomers have kept us going through the rougher economical times and I thank you.

Moving the houses.All 4 shacks will be on fresh ice tomorrow morning.Ther are times I will not move a house and this weeknd will be one of those times as the are predicting 30 below .If the temps are below 0 with winds I will not move a house If theres no wind i will go as far as 10 below but thats the cut off. I will not move a house in the dark,in a blizzard or white out conditions. I enjoy moving the houses as its part of the job and I love my job. A few guest over the years have rode in them while we moved I guess its quite the ride. With the cold snap this weekend I will be busy just keeping the vechicles up and running. More then likly its going to cost me a couple tanks of gas but thats better then trying to get them running in the extream cold.

Thanks again Cookie we had a great time, cant wait to get back next year. just got the pictures printed nothing but smiles Thanks again, Jason and family

Hey jason thats awesome. I'm so glad you guys caught a few fish. That was a experiment in a sense as that was the longest I have left a house in one spot since the crappie days. I did let a couple gentlemen fish in there before I moved it and they managed to catch a couple keepers. Why the fishing was so good in that one spot reminds me of the old crappie days.

All four house are now on new spots. Minnesota still needs to go a couple more miles but it got dark on me last night so i called it quits. Busy morning today as all 4 house need the holes punched out 28 holes times over 2 feet of ice Thats 56 feet of ice I have to auger this morning.I better get busy

Ok real excited one week from now will be in our fish house on url for first time. Kinda bummed the last couple days thought our trip might cancelled due to work conflict but got that issue taken care of. Cant wait for next weekend to join in everybodys good times.

Crazy lake is all I can say. Another fishing site has a guy that caught 12 crappies. How sweet is that. All 4 houses were on new spots for my customers. Andy and Andy had the hot house with over 30 fish caught the last I had talked to them, California was holding its own while minnesota and florida were a little slower then expected.

Wayne in old minnesota is a old dear friend back from my auto painting days and as of now the plan is to move them this morning. Tehn the plan is hang out with wayne and Phil untell the wind picks up.

Wow did she blow yesterday. I wanted to beat the winds and get minnesota moved befroe the white out conditions. Of coure the weathermen misssed there mark and she was all ready blowing when I got on the lake. I had ran into Chris and I had told them a general area to try, They did well and were headed home. Chris said they ended up on some dirty ice so I spent a little time trying to find that exaact spot. In the prosess I lost my phone murfeys law I guess. 9 years and 3 phones and this was the first time I lost or damaged my phone. With white out conditions pending I now was with out a phone with visabilty down to less then a 1/4 mile. Once I started on my journy with minnesota I got to beacon harbors bridge and it was under water, I stepped out of the protection of blue thunder to scott a new crossing. Returning to the truck walking side ways into the wind a wheel house pulled up and the two guys were scratching there heads what to do. I walked over to them to show them there was indeed a bridge under the water and darn if I need not get both my feet wet, Ish! Nothing worse then working with wet feet. What normaly takes a hour was closer to 2 hours moving minnesota in those conditions. Thats two weekends in a row I have gotten my feet wet. Last week I broke the carnial rule and went on the lake with shoes murfhys law. I will now be putting a exrta set of socks and boots in both trucks,

After getting minnesota set up I checked on andy and andy in montana and they were closing in on 50 fish caught and released. Cody and Mike in florida had there 7 and were also practing c@r. The general and faw- ki- naa had also packed up and moved out deeper.

After getting minnesota set up I hunkered down with wayne and phil and played cards and fished. I then received a message from tony as he was having generator issues in california. The generator had become drifted in and packed with snow, you would think a little common sense would of prevented this mishap. Now I had to put my wet socks and booots on Ish! Off I went in white out conditions to take care of the problem. I suggested they put the generator in the back of kurks pickup but they did not want in running in his pickup so I unloaded a box of blocks and set the unit in there.

I then scolled Tony on keeping a eye on things in the extream conditions we were facing.

Back to minnesota for more fishing and cards with wayne and phil. The wind died down to a small gail after dark and I headed home to pick up the red baron and put a extra propane on montana.

Tony pointed out that I should of had a box set up for the generator and in hindsite I would have to agree with him. Sorry tony we all learn from our mistakes. Both the 2500s were safe in boxes but I did not think the little 2000 needed one.

I spent a good part of yesterday hanging with wayne and phil in old minnesota. Kellie the better half came out after supper and wayne said they had not caught or seen a fish since I left 2 hours ago. I got Kellie set up and with in 2 minute shes landing a fat 17 incher.

Every one of missed atleast one fish while playing cards and eveyone of us lost a fish at the hole. Not sure how many we caught but had a great time hanging with wayne.

Today Bill and his wife roll in this morning. This will be there 2nd year with me. I'm not sure if they had been up here before.

Dave and sahra also roll in today ,They have been coming for years. Dave works at market barbque . I'm hoping he brings me some ribs . They are one of the best in the state. Two years ago they showed up on a monday in a complete blizzard. There was no way they were getting out to the shack untel the greek Iand I offered to get them out there on sleds. They were game so we got them out there. After the aftermath of that storm all my houses had the heaters on and the holes augered. The drifts around the houses were so big all 7 shacks flooded and when the temps dropped like a rock they all froze in to the lake. It took us all of the first day just to plow to them. It then took 5 days to chisle all them out . Idaho weighed 8700 pounds and we had to use two trucks to pull it out as it was actully sittying in a hole/low spot from the weight. Man I pray that never happens again.

well well it looks like the temps are minus 20 this morning with a high of minus 2 today. Going to be tough moving all the shacks for the up and coming weekend. Thursday more snow is predicted. I clocked it out and as of last night it is 7 miles to the door step of montana. Dave and Sarha rolled in around 9 pm last night. They brought me barbque from market barbque. Yummy and thanks. After checking them in I stopped to check on Brett and Melony. They had good fishing and had just finished walleye for dinner, They offered the left over fish so Bell the blueberry eating dog and I had a nice snack on the way in.

I still have not figuered out why the dodge prospector will not start and that needs to go on the to do list.

Hillmens road is in great shape. I spent some time friday night and saturday morning plowing .

I could not be happier about the bite right now. Brett and Melony have done real well in old minnesota. Dave and Sarah said last night they had the best fishing ever yesterday. They had me bring them oil and shore lunch when I came out to check on them and more minnows.

Today I will be moving california and florida out deeper as that's where the better fishing has been. Old minnesota will also be moved and montana will be moved tomorrow after dave and sarah leave. Even though minnesota and montana are still producing fish I can not help but putting them on fresh ice for the up and coming weekend.

Jake, Jenny and Gabrial will be coming up this weekend along with all the grand kids mathew jakob,jason,ashly and brittnie and daughter Melisa.

I think I will put a prize on who can catch the most fish that should keep the kids entertained. Should be a fun weekend as kellie and I miss the kids.

Thanks for the reports Cookie. Plan on being there within 48 hrs. Cant wait the kids faces couple of them never been over night in a fishhouse or even caught a walleye they very excited. I think they will have a great time not to mention the wife finally got her out in the portable for the first time a coupls weeks ago for some crappies an really liked it. Do I need to grab some minnows on the way up or do u have that? Or any lures I should make sure I should have in my box? See you fri.

Due to mother nature I have not been able to put the houses on fresh spots. I hope to move california today. Minnesota,montana and florida may have to stay where there at untell friday or saturday. Montana and minnesota have been catching fish so thats a plus, all though I still would prefer them being on new spots. Jake is going to fish florida tonight and then he will help move tomorrow,I may have to recruit him to help with the other two as it goes so much smoother with two people.

Dave and Sarah were napping when I swung in last night so I did not get to visit with them. I hope he has started his truck while they were here or we may be dealing with that this morning. Brrr 20 below right now

Oh I see, recruit the oilfield worker to move houses! I'm pretty sure I work harder up there then I do on the rig! funny! Always my pleasure to help you out cookie. Youre a great guy and always have taken great care of me and my family. Ive been up since 5 this morning with excitement. Cant wait to get in the house and cant wait to run around looking for those crappies. Hope to find a few, definately willing to put the work in for them. Be there in just 9 hours!

Good old mother nature has ruled the week for me. Now I have totally gotten behind and its firday with a fresh inch or two of snow. Then on top of that all our customers are planning on rolling in early. I'll do my best to get them checked in and then worry about moving them over the next two days.

I get a kick out of reading your reports. If there was ever an award for brutal honesty for an outfitter, Cookie wins!!

Thanks JC Shorty Hillmen told me when I started renting cabins and house's you need to be honest with the fishermen. I guess it stuck.

Jake rolled in last night and did real well in florida. I still plan on moving it so the grand kids and I can fish a fresh spot. I just got off the lakeabout a half hour ago.Man that darn snow it must of been 4 inches of the new stuff. Got all the customers checked in before noon and check in time is after 2pm. Oh well it all worked out. Now its off in the red baron to take the generators, gas and propane to all the houses.

home for the evning. The kids arrived and are unpacking. All four house s were doing quite well. I have my phone handy in case any thing comes up but it feels good to be home for the eve, it has been a long day.

Man did the fishing slow down yesterday? Not sure why but they sure quit biting by us. Took Brit, Autaum,Asley, Jason,Jacob and kellie out to florida after we moved and in two hours at prime time only managed 6 small walleyes and a couple small perch. After A huge fish fry and westwinds headed out to check on the guys in california as i had also moved them. They had picked up a couple ,minnesota caught 30 the first night and last night when they got back they had not had a bite. Mike and his family had fish for dinner and they also were having a slow night. Yesterday there cooler was plum full of fish . I took a pic with my new phone but still having trouble addapting to it. I have never been good with change as most of my learning come from reputition.

Today the plan will be to move montana as I sure can not expect the good fishing to continue as that house has been fished hard with Andy and andy then Dave and sarah and now mike and his family. Star,Forever,Marvin, Randy and the moms name was to tough to remember.

Thanks again for the fun weekend Cookie! We really didn't wanna take off this am, we never do! But lots to do back home. I figured we caught over 40 walleyes this past weekend with us keeping 20 eaters total, 11 and a huge fish fry, and 9 more that I brought home with us. will be back up soon to try for those crappies. Hopefully this time they cooperate a little better and can appreciate the effort we go thru to try and get them!

You would think i could put the kids on good fishing once in a while. I had a solid plan to get out after lunch and spend the beautiful afteernoon on the lake. I had also built a snow slide in the yard. After lunch the kids all played on the slide . Foiled again we would go fishing after dinner. With the red baron packed with Kellie,me,Missy,Autum,Ashly,Brittnie,jason,jacob and matty. Crossing the bridge freaked them all out. After getting everyone set matty was a handful. The fishing was horrible with just a couple small dinks caught. Coming in when we went over the bridge they really freaked out as there was close to two feet of standing water hiding the metal plates. It even had me a little nervous.

For the weekend the houses did well again which was great to see. jacob,jenny and gabrial caught over 30 fish, Mike and his family also caught over 30 and maybe closer to 50. I moved california for Dale and his crew and they squekled out a limit by 1130 pm and called it a night. Rick,jason and matt were hitting the road this morning. Matt managed to catch a elusive yet still catchable upper red lake crappie yesterdayis morning to move montana as it has produced well over 150 fish and it bound to burn out. I may just make a small move as dave rolls in around noon. California has only been fished from 2pm tell 1130 pm so i will plan on leaving it there for mark tomorrow

Crossing the bridge freaked them all out.... Coming in when we went over the bridge they really freaked out as there was close to two feet of standing water hiding the metal plates. It even had me a little nervous.

Geez Cookie, maybe you should use your own bridge instead if it's that bad.

I'm a little confused , But that's nothing new. I do have a bridge / metal plate not sure if I can get it out of the woods though .

I'll tell you one thing if I ever decide to have my own road it will go straight to rocky point and beyond. No one will bully me either and you can bank on that. Have a grand day and may god be with you

Hey cookie me and the family just wanted to once again say thank you. Your fish house was great and you treated us great not to mention the cooperation we got from the fish. We had a fun weekend and will definatly be back. You are good people.

Thanks Mike you sure had a nice family. It was my pleasure to take care of you.

Yesterday I moved montana as I could not see it catching anymore fish. Wow what a great spot that was. I should learn how to mark those spots with a gps. Oh well I did not move it to far and if anything I did not move it far enough. Dave and his wife Sandy rolled in around noon, After traveling over half way out Sandy was having some second thoughts, I felt bad for her but the best thing to do was get them off the lake as she was just not comfortable..

Hoagies son Mark roll in today and I have them in california for one night, That house has not been fished a straight 24 hours so I left it where it was. Old minnesota is next on the move list followed by california.

Chasing crappies is not on my to do list,Even though there are reports of a few being caught I will keep concentrating on walleye fishing at this time. If any one catches a elusive yet still catchable upper red lake crappie we will consider it a bonus fish.

The trucks sure are getting a work out now as I'm 7 miles from home. The snow just keeps coming it only take a trace when the wind blows to make a mess of things. Oh well I love being out there so thats a plus. Blue thunder is ready for a new set of plugs and that is on the to do list this morning. She's backfirinfg pretty bad and missig on atleast one if not two cylinders. Driving out to move montana i thought for sure I was going to break down but she got me home gotta love those chevy's.

Kellie's step mom and brother are coming up today to spend a few days and lokking forward to catching a few fish with them. Kellie wantted to know why we do not fish in minnesota but if its rented not much I can do unless we fish with the customers. We wlll have a nice dinner out there with them one night as we spend some quality family time with them. maybe I can even get linda to play a game of scrabble.

Wow the snow sure was bad timing for me. I did not relize we had gotten 6 to 8 inches of snow and thought we got around 2. The plan was to replace the plugs in blue thunder then help buddy on the hillmen highway if needed untell mark rolled in. Then I had two appointtments in bemidji that I could not miss.Just as i stepped out of the door and saw how much snow there was buddy called to see if the red baron was ready. i told him yes it was warming up. When i went to pull out the right rear wheel was locked up. I went back and forth trying to break it loose with no avail.I figured if I could get on the road it would break loose. I was wrong and now I had no choice but to limp it or slide I should say down the road to hillmens. She finley broke loose after I pulled into the store. Then Off I went to help on the road untell mark arrived. After 3 or 4 trips to the end of the road and back Mark called to say the had arrived. Once I met them I dropped the v-plow again and escorted them to the house. Once we arrived I had to spend some time moving snow with the v-plow . I was truly shocked how much snow is out there. Arriving back home from bemidji after 5pm I had to fire up blue thunder and plow our driveway with blue thunder only running on a few cylinders. Then it was out on the lake to check on Mark and his crew. they were closing in on there 16 fish limit which was nice to see. ken and his two buddies were also out by me and they were having some action. Now its time to get out there and clean up around the shacks and start the process of moving all the h houses on to fresh spot for the weekend.

ken bruce and dale landed this one thursday 11am on the smallest orange and white demon tipped with a small minnow

full-1934-29718-556574_576409132387316_1

Making the rounds last night and all 4 houses were having some action.Minnesota was doing the best before dark with atleast 12 in the bucket, brett was a little upset though as 98 % of the fish had came out of the same hole,while he could not catch a thing. all thyere fish were on dead sticks,rattle wheels. I'll have a detailed report some time later today