• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Pick em for College Hockey???

solbes

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• scsavre

• cbrooks

• solbes

• Bran32

Top Posters In This Topic

Solbes, we are going to be the best of facebook friends. We can share pictures and stories and make videos. Oh its going to be so fun.

Obviously not serious. facebook is similar to poring lime juice in your own eyes.

Ill find you and friend you so the stats show you in our group though.

I do not know how I have managed but I am one ahead of you Scott (9th overall) and yet I'm 26th in the WCHA pick em!! But I'm happy with 9th smile

How would I join your guy's group??

Brandon

Brian, you are the person I keep not finding. It groups us by facebook friends from what I can tell. Ill try to find you and become friends.

I still can't find solbes on fb, my skills with fb are similar to brooks skills in pickem......terrible.

Brooks, you shoot anything up there lately. I just finayzed my pheasant trip to nodak. Nov 8th I leave. Hopefully that's not riffle opener, I'm sure it is. Hopefully there are some phesants up there to.

Hey Scott I just sent a friend request to you on FB!! So if you see Brandon Shannon for a friend request you'll know it's me!!

]

I still can't find solbes on fb, my skills with fb are similar to brooks skills in pickem......terrible.

Brooks, you shoot anything up there lately. I just finayzed my pheasant trip to nodak. Nov 8th I leave. Hopefully that's not riffle opener, I'm sure it is. Hopefully there are some phesants up there to.

Yep...I'm pretty horsesh!t on my picks so far.

Last weekend I was fishing up at LOW out of Baudette so no shooting there. I might try for some pheasants this weekend. Otherwise its been duck hunting every weekend. Hate to tell you Scott but deeropener is Nov 4th I think. It shouldn't be too overcrowded if your doing it by your inlaws place I would think. Expect your pheasant numbers to be disappointing. From everybody I talk to that has hunted roosters around the state the numbers are way down. You might want to try for some ducks or geese. Duck hunting is where its at if your looking for action. Its been so dam good lately.

I'll jump in on the pheasants. I've hunted twice around Parshall/Garrison. We did OK on opening weekend and much better this past weekend. But still, numbers are way down.

To no surprise, I've heard much better reports and numbers south of I94, around Mott, etc, but there's not much public land out that way.

Thanks for the reports.the inlaws have told me there are no roosters around. Its either hunt all day or hang out with them all day. I think we all know what decision to make. Maybe I will try for ducks. Are there still geese up there. I know the inlaws area has some awesome snow geese hunting too.

I got your request bran32, I looked for you but wasn't sure which one you were.

now my page shows everyone but solbes. Ill try to paste it here later

]Its either hunt all day or hang out with them all day.

You don't know how lucky you are, I'm trapped in the Cities when it's time to visit the in-laws. I would kill to get out with a gun and not even see a bird.

Sorry to hear that Bear grin

Scott, you shouldn't have any problems finding geese. You might find another hobby if you get out.

Shore, did you ever get any partridge out west. I was told that its easy to hunt the partridge when the first snow hits. Its easier to spot them in cover...so I'm told. looking forward to trying it this year. I've been on the look out for them since you told me how tasty they were.

If there is snow, I guarantee I will shoot plenty of them. Im not even sure the best way to hunt them. Last year I got quite a few just driving in between pheasant spots. They seem to just clump up 20 yards from the road with the snow being their cover. Fast birds, but they dont fly far.

Im basically gonna shoot anything that moves.

Bear, come on, you love the cities. you can go to the theater, the art show, the museum. Im gonna be stuck in all that fresh air, surrounded by those pesty wild animals.

Got a question on pheasants any upland bird. What choke do you guys go with? I have the standard optima choke(more spread out pattern) or would you go with a pattern master that has the tighter patterns. I'm having a tough time connecting with grouse. Also any certain shells(brand or shot)you go with? I shoot xpert or federal the cheap stuff.

Got a question on pheasants any upland bird. What choke do you guys go with? I have the standard optima choke(more spread out pattern) or would you go with a pattern master that has the tighter patterns. I'm having a tough time connecting with grouse. Also any certain shells(brand or shot)you go with? I shoot xpert or federal the cheap stuff.

CBrooks, we found a few flocks of huns - managed to shoot four. Both the huns and grouse numbers have dwindled - when the wells came in to the north and west of Parshall.

Here's a good article about chokes.

I have a Berretta AL391 12 gauge with the Optima barrel. For the first few weeks of hunting, I use a modified choke. Later in the year, I want a tighter patter because birds are getting up further away, so I go to an Improved Modified. I usually shoot 2-3/4 5 shot Federal Pheasants Forever - or any premium shot such as the Winchester Super X pheasant. I don't buy tungsten or the big buck shells. IMHO, I only get out bird hunting a few times a year, so I invest in slightly better shells - and I don't have confidence in "small game loads" for pheasant - but would for grouse or huns.

Pretty much the same as shore for me for both chokes and shells. I started using the pheasant forever shells last year and they seemed to do a good job. For all I know you pay a buck or $2 more just for the pheasant forever donation. I used to use....remington nitros....I think that's what they were called. Green shells, I honestly don't think I ever missed a rooster with one of those.

A little over a week until gophrs sioux. I'm getting pumped, I hope rocco is playing by then. Id like to see him vs rau..... cause honestly rau is hard to beat for fresh of the year right now. Also, I bet they play similar, same size, age, strengths, maybe.

I'm planning on getting to buffalo wild wings by about 2 on Saturday and then walking to the gam. Hopefully the only green I see is the grass.

Agreed with the others. I like the tighter patterns later in the year when the birds tend to get up further away.

]

Bear, come on, you love the cities. you can go to the theater, the art show, the museum. Im gonna be stuck in all that fresh air, surrounded by those pesty wild animals.

If it wasn't for the in-laws and gopher hockey, you wouldn't catch me dead down there.

CBrooks, we found a few flocks of huns - managed to shoot four. Both the huns and grouse numbers have dwindled - when the wells came in to the north and west of Parshall.

Here's a good article about chokes.

I have a Berretta AL391 12 gauge with the Optima barrel. For the first few weeks of hunting, I use a modified choke. Later in the year, I want a tighter patter because birds are getting up further away, so I go to an Improved Modified. I usually shoot 2-3/4 5 shot Federal Pheasants Forever - or any premium shot such as the Winchester Super X pheasant. I don't buy tungsten or the big buck shells. IMHO, I only get out bird hunting a few times a year, so I invest in slightly better shells - and I don't have confidence in "small game loads" for pheasant - but would for grouse or huns.

Thanks for the link shore. That help me out alot. I will try the Improve modify choke. I have pretty much the same gun as yours, its a xtrema 2.

Too bad the oil wills are taking away the habitat out west. Its only gonna get worse or better depending on how you look at it. My mom have mineral rights out there. They use to be nothing and now there not too shabby.

Thanks for the responses guys and sorry for the hijack. Looking forward to the Minnesota/UND match up. UND is struggling defense. Still think I'm sandbagging Bear? Its still early in the season.

It surprising there are any animals left in the woods with you hacks out there, furry or feathered.

All right temporary detour into to college hockey here. I "friended" Mr. Please Become a Sponsor. I want into the leader board. I like the auto calculation of this new pick em website, but miss the banter and the ability to take a week off. I have a lot of catching up to do.

I don't know if something changed on the pickem site. It now says weekend series, where as before you picked 1 game at a time. Maybe I'm looking at it wrong. Also, I don't know how to pick a split, if they are a series pick.

I would much rather it be 1 game at a time. Its to easy to just pick split. I'm doubt too many people hd nodak and denver loosing.

I can.t beleiev we are allowed to hunt either. Atleast when I go, I usally drink to much and then sleep in.

]I don't know if something changed on the pickem site. It now says weekend series, where as before you picked 1 game at a time. Maybe I'm looking at it wrong. Also, I don't know how to pick a split, if they are a series pick.

I would much rather it be 1 game at a time. Its to easy to just pick split. I'm doubt too many people hd nodak and denver loosing.

I had that same problem. I'm just gonna pick sweeps the rest of the year. I'm so far behind it doesn't matter. I missed a couple of weeks.

• 1 month later...

I'm alittle confused. Last I check CC plays Denver in a one game series but its not showing up on this weeks picks. confused

Yeah that site has some quirks. Maybe there will be a better one out next year. Or maybe we go back and do it the old fashioned way.

On a related note, why did Denver and CC do 1 game series? They've had one already.

If I remember right Solbes, they ended there season last year with a one game series. I wonder if they break up that series every year to think about it. There's usually some really good fights in it smile. 3 or 4 years ago they had a bench clearing that was as good as the UND/Wisconsin water bottle incident. Remember that one... Well probably not as good as that one. I would love to be able to watch that game. Maybe I can get it on ESPN3. I could watch that before the UND/AA game since they start at 10:00.

Just checked out the water bottle incident on Youtube. Didn't say or show how the water bottle was involved. But I saw some pretty good brawling there. And a guy running down the tunnel to deliver a flying punch. Chaos.

You don't see those at all anymore in college hockey. When did NCAA start issuing game DQ's for fighting? I seem to remember it was when I was in school in the mid to late 90's, but I couldn't find anything online about what the rules used to be.

Yah, we still need to find a better league.

I beleive CC and Denver are playing because the TV network asked them too. TV wanted a double header to go with the Boston battle.

WCHA

Beer fish Matt is 3rd

me 7th

brandon is 13

archery is 20

solbes is 30

and the doormat is brooks 51

Overall nationally

brandon is 2nd

me 9th

Just checked out the water bottle incident on Youtube. Didn't say or show how the water bottle was involved. But I saw some pretty good brawling there. And a guy running down the tunnel to deliver a flying punch. Chaos.

You don't see those at all anymore in college hockey. When did NCAA start issuing game DQ's for fighting? I seem to remember it was when I was in school in the mid to late 90's, but I couldn't find anything online about what the rules used to be.

It got the name "water bottle incident"from when Crary Eades(UND [PoorWordUsage]. coach currently)ran down Wisconsin tunnel with a water bottle and smashed on one of Wisconsin players head thats when the fight really took off after that. Eades was interveiwed earlier this year about that incident. He had some interesting things to say about it. I will have to see if I can link them on here.

I can't remember when they started issuing DQs for fighting. I miss Eddie Shore stlye hockey

• 1 month later...

Looks like Beerfish is tops in the wcha.

Rank

3, Beerfish

4, [pleasebecomeasponsor]

10, BShannon

27, Solbes

45, Archstud

54, the team formerly known as the Sioux, Brooks

The rank for all leagues

2, Bshannon - thats pretty good dude

10, [pleasebecomeasponsor]

54, beerfish

Hey Bran32, I just noticed you live in Hawley. I have a cabin on Pelican lake up that way. Cant believe I didnt notice that before.