• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Joe Mauer

schmitty3

Joe Mauer is the single most overrated MN athlete ever.

He has no fire, no passion.

He is an overpaid and under performing piece of garbage.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RumRiverRat

• B. Amish

• JBMasterAngler

• greebs

So RRR you are down on Mauer then i take it... I wasn't sure by your posts...

Economically speaking Mauer is the #1 jersey, #1 draw of fans, #1 reason the national media even mentions a Twins score. They paid him more money than he produces on the feild... Yes they do. But He MAKES the team money and that is what the contract is really for. IMO.

Joe Mauer is the single most overrated MN athlete ever.

He has no fire, no passion.

He is an overpaid and under performing piece of garbage.

Joe Mauer likes big oil though.

• 1 month later...

So RRR you are down on Mauer then i take it... I wasn't sure by your posts...

Economically speaking Mauer is the #1 jersey, #1 draw of fans, #1 reason the national media even mentions a Twins score. They paid him more money than he produces on the feild... Yes they do. But He MAKES the team money and that is what the contract is really for. IMO.

So we should be happy he is making billionaires more money?

They obviously are not using that money for payroll.

Mauer can hold his own, but he is NOT worth $22,000,000.00 per year. I would have passed on him. What about the "hometown discount"....ya right.

As a fan, I sit back and watch these huge signings and laugh when people complain, since that is all we can do.

If they would have offered Joe a contract @ 18 million a year and he went somewhere else for a larger one, almost everyone would have said we have cheap owners and they should have paid to keep him here.

Could Joe gave a "hometown" discount? Sure, but would any of you?

Remember we are talking SEVERAL MILLION Dollars, not tens of thousands.

Happened with the Garnett situation and the Wolves, everyone would have been ticked if we would not have ponied up the money, and yet everyone said he "broke" the team by doing it.

It was a lose/lose situation for the twins in that they would either overpay or lose him at the time and they did what seemed right then. Like most everyone else, I think it's way too much money for a guy who hits singles and doubles but part of the problem is the home field. If joe was a Yankee does anybody doubt that he would be a 25 or more homer guy every year with their field dimensions and hitting philosophy over there? Twin fans would be much angrier with that than with the current situation.

I will admit It is very annoying listening to the tv guys compare joe to guys like Cabrera and some of the other big name players who have way higher hr and rbi numbers whenever we play those teams. But suppose that is just those guys getting paid to talk that way.

I would have been fine with Mauer going if he turned down less. The Twins cannot win with 1 high played player.

They need pitching much more than a expensive catcher.

Mauer can hold his own, but he is NOT worth $22,000,000.00 per year. I would have passed on him. What about the "hometown discount"....ya right.

Hold his own?

You cannot be serious?

He admits he is too tuckered out to play a day game after a night game.

Last time I checked there were only 5 players in all of baseball with a higher batting avg. than Mauer.

Last time I checked there were only 5 players in all of baseball with a higher batting avg. than Mauer.

Oh goody!

We are paying 22 million a year for a singles hitter?

Mauer has handcuffed the Twins with his massive contract.

He has no power.

I agree with rrr 99.9 percent! To pay a guy 184 million, he needs to hit for power, drive in runs and sell tickets. The stadium is selling tickets, not baby jesus. That signing is 2nd worst to herchel walker.

what are you guys gonna do when joe mauer walks into the hall of fame the minute he's eligible?

what are you guys gonna do when joe mauer walks into the hall of fame the minute he's eligible?

He should not.

He is not a hall of famer by any stretch.

Mauer is terrible.

The 2nd highest batting average of any catcher ever, how on earth is that terrible? Imagine how good he would be if there were some hitters around him so they would have to pitch to him in critical situations like tonight when he won the game. Big mistake by Cleveland.

The 2nd highest batting average of any catcher ever, how on earth is that terrible? Imagine how good he would be if there were some hitters around him so they would have to pitch to him in critical situations like tonight when he won the game. Big mistake by Cleveland.

Who cares that he help the Twins win a meaningless game.

Mauer is the reason the rest of the team is composed of AAA level players or lower.

The Twins are garbage and their overpaid and mediocre at best catcher is the reason.

Mauer is the reason the rest of the team is composed of AAA level players or lower.

Mauer is not the reason the rest of the team is full of AAA players. The blame for that belongs to the front office. They have the money to sign better talent they just refuse to. They said once they moved to Target field they'd have a pay roll of $100 million, well they did for a year now they've cut it back to only $75 million. If the Twins wanted to they could sign another player and pay him more money than Mauer and they'd still be under the $100 million level they had said they'd be at.

I'm never going to blame any player for signing a big contract like Mauer did, I'd have done the same thing and so would everyone here. Its not like he has become a different player after his contract. He's been the same player his entire career. The Twins knew what they were getting when they signed him and he's lived up to that expectation. Just because he signed a big contract doesn't mean he's going to become a different player, he is who he is. Is he overpaid, yes. Is it his fault, no.

If the Twins would spend that extra $25 million per year they cut from the payroll this team could look a lot different and it would probably make Mauer look a lot different.

Put more good bats in the line up around him to protect him and find guys who can get on base ahead of him and you'd probably see his numbers improve.

Well said NF

He would get better pitches maybe even better power #'s but that will not happen till they put better players in front of him. Going to be this way for a couple more years.

Catch 22 with Mauer...if the Twins had let him go and he did great with his new team, the naysayers would be saying, see we should have kept him and Carlos Gomez. We let Gomez go because people wanted him gone, and his first few years with MKE, he did nothing either.

We kept Mauer, and the naysayers are mad because we paid him

too much...it was the going rate for an MVP and batting crown

winner. Geez, get off the guys back for a change and enjoy

what he does. Do we want Drew Butera back?? That would have

been his replacement at the time.

Anyone who thinks Mauer is overpaid simply doesn't know the game.

Reminds me of all the knuckleheads that want Mauer to change his swing so he can hit a few more HR.s

Put better players around a 2 hitter? As the common man would say...... IALTO COMING!

Here is Charlie Walters take on Joe...

If you compare Joe Mauer's $184 million Twins contract and performance with those of the Angels' Albert Pujols and Josh Hamilton, the Yankees' Alex Rodriguez, Mark Teixeira and Derek Jeter, and the Brewers' Ryan Braun, you'll see the Twins got a deal.

Pujols, 33, with a $240 million contract that will guarantee him $30 million during the 2021 season, is batting .254 with 17 home runs.

Hamilton, 32, has a $125 million deal that will guarantee him $30 million in both 2016 and 2017. This season, he's batting .223 with 14 homers.

Rodriguez, 37, has a $275 million contract paying him $28 million this season even though he hasn't played because of injuries. When he last played, in 2012, Rodriguez hit .272 with 18 homers. He was paid $32 million in both the 2009 and 2010 seasons.

Jeter, 39, is being paid $17 million this season and has played in one game because of injuries.

Teixeira, 33, who has a $180 million contract paying him $22.5 million this injury-laden season, is batting .151 with three homers in 15 games.

Braun, 29, suspended for the rest of the season for alleged use of performance-enhancing drugs, has a $121 million deal worth $19 million in each of the 2016, 2017 and 2018 seasons. He was hitting .298 with nine homers this year.

Meanwhile, Mauer, 30, playing for $23 million in each season through 2018, is hitting .324 with eight homers

Here are some more:

C.C. Sabathia, 32, is owed another $96 million through 2017 by the Yankees.

The Mets are paying Johan Santana $25 million to not pitch this season, after paying him $21.6 million to not pitch in 2011.

The Twins aren’t losing because they don't spend money. They’re losing because they haven’t developed quality starting pitching.

the pirates (i think) are still paying bobby bonilla over 1 million a year. yes, the same bobby bonilla that retired like 12 years ago.

Quote:
The Mets decided it best to buy out the remaining $5.9 million dollars of Bobby Bonilla's contract in January 2000. Instead of paying him the $5.9 million dollars at the time, they struck a deal where payments would be deferred until 2011. Commencing in July 2011, Bobby Bo is to receive $1.19 million per year until the year 2035.

oops, it was the mets. here's the shortened version of the story.

Here are some more:

C.C. Sabathia, 32, is owed another $96 million through 2017 by the Yankees.

The Mets are paying Johan Santana $25 million to not pitch this season, after paying him $21.6 million to not pitch in 2011.

The Twins aren’t losing because they don't spend money. They’re losing because they haven’t developed quality starting pitching.

+1