• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Come on Who's Hit?

Boar

Early yes but hey why not ask. Got a sow an 2nd year cubs on one site, something has take my scent bait with no pics on cam. an have hi expectations of another. Seen a 3.5 inch pad heading toward my site on Sunday but didnt hit the bait. weired. big boy must be gaurding it to eat it at his leisuer wink boar

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Boar

• jay83196

• lakeshoremunster

• Outdoor Authority

Boar. I have been seeing some sign with out the baits being hit. Then on the other hand some are hit and some not hit at all with out any sign. We are at just a littl over 60% of our baits not being hit. If things go normal which never happens two to three days 60% of the baits will be hit and 80 to 90 two to three days after that and some slowing down and some getting hot. I wouldnt be to excited now but it sure is fun to walk up on a bait and see our logs tossed everywhere.

Got nothing so far, first time in 3 years of Baiting these two sites not hit after 3 days, I realize very early but is it common to take time and at what point do you try another spot. Both these spots have gotten hit last two years well and quick. I was bummed today when not hit, think rain didn't help with scent maybe.

Jay if you only have two baits out I would put out another one asap. If you do I would give it a solid 6 days and then move your bait and scrap the one your not seeing any sign of bear around. Also it might not hurt to slow role down roads and trails to see if you have competition in the area. Maybe someone cut you off and the bear is in on their bait right now. Dont give in this is what makes bear hunting so much fun when they drive us nuts.

Got 3 bait sites going on Sunday afternoon. Figured I would give them a check on Friday or maybe Wednesday. I will see if we get any rain today, that may get me to go tomorrow so I can freshen up the scents.

Ahhhhhh its wat makes it so fun, trying to match wits. Not worried at all. Lots of choke cherries in my area too, ground goodies could be just enouch to top of a already full tummy. Gonna hold off on the ground goodies an keep freash grease going. Patience of Jobe. Jay I too would start another but ifeel I wouldnt shut one down. Ive went againts my own advise last year an shut one down after three weeks then with two weeks to go in hunting, Boom it gets hit. A bear will find it. If a guy can handle the time an expense to me it's worth it. Especially if its a site thats been hit in the past. Just keep fresh goodies an keep refreshing the grease. Again last part of the season is wen the big boys put on the feed bag, all naturals are gone an you want a open buffette with no waiting. Alot hunters tend to quit before prime time. Which only benifits other still open for bussiness. My 2 cents. Boar

I'm running 75% right now, with one other bait having sign but no bear on camera. There's fresh bear scat about 20 yards from the bait, and a lot of bait scattered around in the woods, but nothing on camera and no tossed logs. Odd.

I'm pretty optimistic seeing this many baits being hit and being hit quite nicely this early on, especially with all of the berries and the heat around here...

Good luck to all!

ive been checking every other day. as of now, been hit 3 times. only runnin one bait site. unfortunately, the bear comes from behind the camera, and stands up against the tree and bumps the camera. so only getting a pic of ears, then sky as the camera is bumped upwards. oh well, as long as im getting that im ok!! camera is just over 7ft up the tree as well. im 6ft tall, and and its arms reach to access the camera. so although a bear is hitting the camera, im guessing its not a cub! time will tell. im really thinking about placing another camera facing the one thats there. maybe try and catch the perp smacking my camera in the act

Try not touching you camera if you have been handling any bait or scent, rubber gloves work great

I was hit again today so twice in two days. After I get a hit I go everyday, only a few miles out of town and I can go out midmorning or early afternoon.

Found aa print today and it looked to be a decent sized one. Camera is hung so we'll see if he comes again, put my barrel out today also so hope that don't spook him.

well got one hit when I checked today, added a third site. Been very slow so far this year for me normally these sites do very well right away. Just have one liuttle one (last years cub maybe?) full-24527-11246-cdy_0057.jpg

full-24527-11248-cdy_0058.jpg

full-24527-11249-cdy_0059.jpg

had some scum on camera so pictures fuzzy...last years maybe 75-100#?

jay

that last picture is awsome.

Im hit on one out of four sites for my party, luckly for me it was my site that got hit. Trail cam is being goofy didnt get a single picture of the bear so this weekend Im going to put up another camera.

Jay nice pics, the pics are hard to judge. Looks like he has a nice belly on him but the ears are big. I am thinking hes in the 125 to 150 range. Should get your heart rate up none the less. Never know the little guy could bring in a bigger bear.

Nice job jay, cool pics. looks like a freezer bear to me. Lots of time for a bigger boy to show. good luck bud. Boar

bigbear.jpg

I got this one and a sow with two cubs comming in so far. How big do you suppose he is? My bait site is about 50yrds behind him. We haven't moved our cameras there yet.

Wow is she a slob, to bad ya cant wright that of as a boar an his litle nephew. I kinda been hit, my barrel has been opened an the logs an lid lying 5 ft away. So I get over to the camera with joyfull of anticipation of a bear like the one in the movie thats been been geneticly alterd because of mercury poisoning. anyway, no pictures! aaaughh! somebody forgot to make sure the camera was working the las time he was in. If I find him he's in trouble. Dang! hopefully he'l be back. Boar

Hollar, I dont think you have a normal problem one I would gladly like to have. I would rather sit in the stand all day than be waiting on a night bear to come in earlier.

Boar, I feel your pain our cameras werent turned on thanks to a hired hand that forgot I already had the cameras in the on position to save the memory fill and when he set them up as I baited he shut them off 10 cameras on 10 hit baits and all in the off position. Life goes on we turned them on and wait for good things to happen.

Here are some old pictures. I was hoping to catch this fatty on film again I had two cameras set up for him one with still pics and another with video. I cant wait to see this fatty again. full-33398-11262-beartrailcam.jpg

full-33398-11263-bear2trailcam.jpg

Dad got back out and checked the baits. We have been HIT. We put out the baits and stands on sat and sunday last weekend and have not been able to check or rebait since. Dad will be baiting every day through the season now. He is going to check the cams tomorrow and report back on what is hitting the baits and at what time. Hopefully we have several bear hitting the baits during the daylight.

Wow! ODA thats like a giant tick with leggs. Sweet the first one aint no slouch either great pics, well i got no one to blame but myself, but ten for ten, man your hired hand needs to hump buckets without a wheeler for a week. Lol! later boar

Boar, both pictures are of the same bear. I hear ya on no atv for a week but things happen and that is just another funny moment to tease him about at the bar as he buys a round for the crew.

Ahhhh. different profile makes for a different looking bear. Must pay close attention to what i read. always a picture guy whistle Yea the mishaps are wat makes great memories. boar

3 for 3 for me. One bait has tiny guy camped out. One has a has a 200#ish bear and the 3rd was cleaned to the ground, but the camera got spun first thing. Ill try and put up some pics when I get back from camp.

full-24527-11314-bearswamp11.jpg

full-24527-11315-bearswamp211.jpg

2 out of three hit today 3rd was just started Fri. One camera didnt work but here is one stations pic. smaller one I think maybe 120# ?