• RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
Wayne Ek

Glenwood and Lowry storm damage

Wayne Ek

Reports starting to come in on the extensive damage both towns received during todays storms.

terrible_fisherman

My folks live in glenwood. Said lots of trees down and a lot of flooded areas. Friend of mine went back to Lowry today to help his inlaws that had trees on their house. Sounds like it was pretty nasty up there this morn.

Chad Peterson

It was bad. Was driving from Alexandria to Fergus Falls this morning and had to pull over. It was raining very hard and wind made the driving difficult. Heard that Glenwood got hit hard.

Sniffer

goose89

I can't imagine how tall the waves must have been to do what I was told they did to boats, lifts , jetski's, rafts along the southside of Minnewaska. Lotta damage from Glenwood up through Gandrud beach, from what I've heard.

terrible_fisherman

My step dad is helping out trying to fix docks and lifts at baycrest. I saw a picture this morning of boats and lifts turned over. The docks are all bent and turned around. Must have been some strong winds coming from the north for all that damage.

carpshooterdeluxe

our cabin is on the north shore over by the high school; sunday when I left, the water was up to the bottom of the dock. Monday morning my step-dad said that during the most intense part of the storm, there was such a surge of water he couldn't even see the dock. We lost 2 big cottonwoods, pushed over and blasted the root structure right out. Tons of smaller tree branches down, and 1 power pole busted up. Mostly tree damage and flooding along silver beach road from the pictures my step-dad sent me, but the south shore sure got busted up. I looked at some pictures last night on facebook of Baycrest's marina, and a few other properties, what a mess. This is my buddy's dad's pontoon.

PART951312206890048.jpg

LandDr

Glenwood was a distaster zone...trees down all over and many streets not passible...or just enough to get around them. Many trees on houses and cars, etc. Boat lifts a mess with pontoons just flipped right over and other boats flipped also. I couldn't imagine the size of the waves either. Flooding down by fair grounds was unbelievable. Last commissioners meeting I recommended setting up a task force to deal with the issue down there...I think now it will be even more obvious we need to resolve the problem. Reports were that there were 198 trees down at the golf course...wow!

We don't have any trees in our yard so we were spared that but our trampoline was a block down in pieces. We gathered that up and then went to City Park...got the family going on picking up all the trash cans and garbage everywhere. It was like a dump! After that we just went around helping who we could. Brought my 20 yd dump trailer down to help Hunts and then on to others. A lot of work.

More rain last night. There were a few buildings that lost part or all of their roof so more rain was not needed.

Things are getting better but there are definately a lot more open views with all of the trees gone. Our house in SE Glenwood is still without electricity (over 24 hours now) so we hoping to get that back soon. Our kids are learning what it was like to live prior to electricity. smile

Fish On!

reinhard1

wow, sorry about all that damage. seems like the storms are never ending this year. maby it's just me but it seems storms, wind, lighning, and rain seem to be stronger now than i can remember on a consistant basis. good luck.

carpshooterdeluxe

wow, sorry about all that damage. seems like the storms are never ending this year. maby it's just me but it seems storms, wind, lighning, and rain seem to be stronger now than i can remember on a consistant basis. good luck.

I don't think the storms are really that different than years past, but there is more developed property to be affected, and social media has altered how fast we hear about and see damage to different areas.

ducker

Not good when the dock is sitting on top of the neighbors ProV

wetaline1

Quote:

I don't think the storms are really that different than years past, but there is more developed property to be affected, and social media has altered how fast we hear about and see damage to different areas.

Seriously? How's that explain the countless trees lost? As far as shoreline I think the worst contributor was how high water levels were. There's not that much new development, and I haven't had electricity yet to be affected by social media, I know by looking around

goose89

... maby it's just me but it seems storms, wind, lighning, and rain seem to be stronger now than i can remember on a consistant basis. good luck.

I think it's the water level that we're just not used to. Lotta "deeper" water now for the waves to roll into shore. Some of it's developement that is now too close to that water as well (for this level of water anyways). Hasn't been at this level for this long for, well, longer than some "old-timers" that I've talked to can remember.

Wind has taken trees down here and there for all times, but this is the 3rd time since last fall that boats / docks / lifts have taken a big hit. I'm not wishing this water to go away....I like alot about it....we're just gonna have to adjust (shorten docks, move boat lifts in, not build / landscape up to the water).

We have had a "rash" of weather events and lots of rain for sure....hope things settle down out there.

carpshooterdeluxe

Seriously? How's that explain the countless trees lost? As far as shoreline I think the worst contributor was how high water levels were. There's not that much new development, and I haven't had electricity yet to be affected by social media, I know by looking around

Over the past 5-10 years, there have been a lot of high-damage storms that passed around the lake or dissipated before getting to the lake area. Swift falls tornado for example, or when Morris had high winds that destroyed piles and piles of trees. I didn't frequent the lake as much as I do now, but I remember in the summer of 2003 having to recover some friends' boats that were blown 2-5 lots over from their lifts and sunken, and spending all day cutting trees.

Weather is cyclical. We are in a wet pattern in the upper mid-west. This storm shouldn't have caught anybody too off guard. The NWS and the Storm Prediction Center's forecasts for severe weather were spot on about 3-5 days in advance. I was actually surprised that we didn't get whacked at the cabin on Saturday. Watching some of those cells build and move along the northern and eastern horizons was impressive. Lets all just be thankful that we have not seen any tornado outbreaks like down south, or Derechos like hit Chicago.

rangerforme

I'm sure the ground just be so saturated probably has alot to do with tree loss also. Alot of those trees on a dry year could probably withstand that wind better.

beer batter

I was up to check on things at the lake, and help cut trees Monday-Tuesday. Most trees I saw were tipped over with a root ball attached. Wet soil casuaties for the most part. Not to say the winds weren't really strong, but I'd guess 1/3 to 1/2 of the trees that went down in Glenwood would not have occurred under normal rain/soil conditions.

carpshooterdeluxe

the two cottonwoods we lost were tipped over at the root. shallow root structure, soft soil, high water table. I doubt some of these trees ever developed a very deep root structure to begin with around the lake.