• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

On Line Gun Safety for kids

leechlake

My son is ready for Gun Safety and I am pondering doing the on line version that is followed by a field day and test.

Back 30 some years ago I took the old school go every week version and am concerned that the on line version won't provide the education that being in a class does. That said, it would be easier than trying to find a class 20 miles away, but I don't want to trade ease of taking the course with ultimate safety.

Please share any experiences with this, thanks.

Funny, I was just going to post a new topic and I look and here it is right on the top of the page. I have talked with numerous instructors of the classroom courses and I get the feeling they prefer you to go through a classroom program versus the online course for your learning experience. The government shutdown cost my daughter a chance at the classroom course we were able to attend and now she is working on going through the online course. The challenge is that we can't find any willing instructors or days that will work out for her field day at this time. Most courses either have the field day full from the group going through the class or are willing to accept the online students but only at certain times of the day. I understand from speaking with numerous instructors that the filed day experience for an online learner is a bit longer and more intensive then if they just go to the classroom course. Right now we are having a hard time finding someplace nearby to get her in on the field day. I was under the assumption that when you got the online voucher you could call the course instructor for the area you wanted to participate and set up a time for your child to go through but have been met with resistance when attempting to get a time scheduled. Anyone have any suggestions?

Tunrevir~

Update to my previous post: After calling around we found an instructor that will take us for the field day but my daughter needs to attend the final class period and take the written exam with his class.

Tunrevir~

I know the shut down wrecked a lot of kids chances at getting in, but do you really think online is good??

I know I enjoyed gun safety and if I was taking it online id probably just study the book before the test? (when I was a kid)

I think a big thing is to be in the classroom see different guns and how they work and proper education vs watching a slide show or video. Hands on is always better.

but that is just my 2 cents.

the classes are great, but I think it starts at home with YOU teaching your kid, and laying a good foundation for responsible and safe hunting

online course would be a great complement to that, just as the regular class would be. imo the parent/uncle/whatever should be continually teaching their kid anyways, so the class is just a formality

Quote:
the classes are great, but I think it starts at home with YOU teaching your kid, and laying a good foundation for responsible and safe hunting

online course would be a great complement to that, just as the regular class would be. imo the parent/uncle/whatever should be continually teaching their kid anyways, so the class is just a formality

+1

The classroom is key and the DNR is foolish to let anyone totally "homeschool". In my opinion they need to listen to instructors talk about guns, gun design, safety, DNR laws. Some things need more than reading a book or a computer screen.

I would be in favor of a combination of classroom and on-line training where there are two classes and a field day. Once classroom session on guns and gun safety and one on conservation and game laws taught by experienced instructors and attended the one night by a DNR officer. Field day is already a requirement.

Parents should be required to attend one night. I attended 70% of the classes with my two children that have attended the classes so far. From what I have seen their are plenty of parents needing a refresher too.

Of course parents must keep the education going.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

The classroom is key and the DNR is foolish to let anyone totally "homeschool". In my opinion they need to listen to instructors talk about guns, gun design, safety, DNR laws. Some things need more than reading a book or a computer screen.

I would be in favor of a combination of classroom and on-line training where there are two classes and a field day. Once classroom session on guns and gun safety and one on conservation and game laws taught by experienced instructors and attended the one night by a DNR officer. Field day is already a requirement.

Parents should be required to attend one night. I attended 70% of the classes with my two children that have attended the classes so far. From what I have seen their are plenty of parents needing a refresher too.

Plus 1. I am a DNR Gun safety instructor and being in a class room with other kids for example is the best thing for them. They can learn from each other and share their shooting and hunting experiences. smile But most of all they do the class work and tests on their own without help from Um, dad's! smirk

That's one of things that kind of bugs me, the written test is so easy you could pass it with out attending the actual course.

That's one of things that kind of bugs me, the written test is so easy you could pass it with out attending the actual course.

Really, at 12 years of age! confused You must have been a A+ student? shocked You have to remember that most of these kids are also playing in sports and other family, school or church activities that take up their time to study during the week. I know what we are teaching and testing the kids on now compared to when I went through it at age 12 a 100 years ago is a lot more detailed then what we had to test out on then. wink

I am a fan of the classroom courses as I think the kids get alot out of it and can ask questions freely and get answers straight from the horses mouth. We were commited to going to a class together but with the gov't shutdown it tweaked our plans. My daughter is in fall fastpitch and practices 2-3 nights a week and has tournaments on weekends, my son is simultaneously in football which I help out with so to find a time and class to fit our needs fell into the online category. We have been mentoring her for the past two years while hunting and shooting and began her "hunting" 3 years ago by carrying a wooden stock afield when we went out treating it as a loaded gun. She has had more time on the range with trained instructors then I ever had at her age. I am confident she will do well with the course as she has been taking notes and getting quizzed by her grandfather and myself on various things in each chapter. I think my biggest mistake was I should have started looking in April or May for a course we could attend together. She is committed to getting her gun safety so she can once again join us in the field this fall.

Tunrevir~

I agree, but the quality of classroom instructors varies. Both my kids went through the class. One had good teachers, the other had poor teacher. It makes a difference what kids get out of class.

I sat through each session for both kids. I felt the best part of the classes was when the dnr officer night.

My son did the online version here in AZ. It was a btch. He did the final online then had to go shoot. The course was written with the aid of instructors which adds to the quality of the material. I took the classroom version over 35 yrs ago and compared to the class he took it was nothing. Heck i remember standing in the mud and snow with my loaded 410 pointing down toward the ground plugged full. Today there is no way i move a weapon without it being checked and rechecked that it is empty. Good luck.

By the time my kids were old enough to qualify, they were both competent and entirely trustworthy. If they weren't I wouldn't have let them take the classes.

It starts at home.

Spend the time with your kids, make sure they get the basics, make sure they understand both the upside and downside of pulling the trigger. Make sure they see the results of pulling the trigger.

I believe the Firearms Safety courses are good, and I sat through most of it (and ended up teaching a portion) with my kids. However, they are not a substitute for hands-on learning with the parents.

By the time my kids were old enough to qualify, they were both competent and entirely trustworthy. If they weren't I wouldn't have let them take the classes.

It starts at home.

Spend the time with your kids, make sure they get the basics, make sure they understand both the upside and downside of pulling the trigger. Make sure they see the results of pulling the trigger.

I believe the Firearms Safety courses are good, and I sat through most of it (and ended up teaching a portion) with my kids. However, they are not a substitute for hands-on learning with the parents.

Good point Jackpine, they will never be a substitute for good family firearms training. But they are a requirement for kids to hunt.

thanks for the input. I signed him up for the classes in New Brighton. Hassle for driving distance but from my thoughts and others the real classroom is too important (and more fun from my recollection)than to skimp on something this important. It's hard to stop a bullet once the trigger has been pulled.

thanks for the input. I signed him up for the classes in New Brighton. Hassle for driving distance but from my thoughts and others the real classroom is too important (and more fun from my recollection)than to skimp on something this important. It's hard to stop a bullet once the trigger has been pulled.

Good decision. He'll have a fun time and learn more from others in the class! wink

Good decision. He'll have a fun time and learn more from others in the class! wink

I agree with the live class being another important re-enforcer of the good habits being instilled through every-day instruction, and also that you can learn a lot from your classmates.

One of my classmates taught me a very good lesson about the general idiocy that can be exhibited by the public. After going over the different components of a cartridge and their function, the instrucor passed around a couple of live rounds. One of my classmates happend to get them both at the same time, and started hitting the primers together saying, "Fire! Fire!" Even at twelve, I knew he was something special... crazy

One of my classmates taught me a very good lesson about the general idiocy that can be exhibited by the public. After going over the different components of a cartridge and their function, the instrucor passed around a couple of live rounds. One of my classmates happend to get them both at the same time, and started hitting the primers together saying, "Fire! Fire!" Even at twelve, I knew he was something special... crazy

Rule #1) There was never any live rounds in our class room! Everything was dummy rounds only! shocked

They may have been dummies. They looked exactly the same as live rounds, and I don't have any idea any more if the weight was "right" for live rounds or not. I don't even know if I would have a good idea now if the weight was "right" for that matter...

I just became Certified as a Volunteer DNR Safety Instructor if there are instructors out there that have courses scheduled and need an extra hand I need to start getting my feet wet learning how everything works and getting a feel for this volunteer work. I am currently unemployed so I have some time to offer I also volunteer for the MPD Reserves and attending Law Enforcement SKILLS training. I would be glad to volunteer some time into a classroom.

thanks,

David

I just became Certified as a Volunteer DNR Safety Instructor if there are instructors out there that have courses scheduled and need an extra hand I need to start getting my feet wet learning how everything works and getting a feel for this volunteer work. I am currently unemployed so I have some time to offer I also volunteer for the MPD Reserves and attending Law Enforcement SKILLS training. I would be glad to volunteer some time into a classroom.

thanks,

David

David

I would suggest going to the DNR Gun safety class web site and look for some class that are going to take place around your area and give the guys running the classes a call. Some of them may need some extra help! wink

My daughter attended the DNR classes and used the Online version to reinforce what she leaned in class. I highly recommend signing up for the DNR class.

the instructors are the best. i as a adult have taken it 3 times(with my kids) and i learn a ton just listening to the great stories and wisdom of the instructors.

they are a real asset to the state of Minnesota.

• 2 weeks later...

My daughter went through the online course and passed without the help of mom or dad and then took her voucher and went to class this past Friday night and took the written test and passed. She missed on 3 questions. Yesterday she went and took the field test and passed. She shot 3 bullseyes and had two shots just outside of the bullseye. We now have a new certified hunter in our camp! My son is asking to go out and sit on stand this year and will be eligable to hunt under the mentor program next year. His safety training will begin this year with his grandfather and I and be ongoing untill he can take either the online course or the classroom instruction.

Tunrevir~

I guess I may be old school.

I would opt for the hands on classroom instruction as I feel one may or should learn more.

I realize it all starts at home but some at home may not be that safe or as safe as they should be.

Yes, one can learn it from a book online but with any other type course, I have to believe that a hands on expierence has to be better in regards to learning.

The online course may cost less in the long run but I highly doubt that it is as good in the end.

First let me say congratulations to your daughter and I wish her the best of luck on her many upcoming hunting seasons.

I am a hunter safety instuctor in the state of Iowa and I will admit that I am biasd toward the class time rather than the online course. First as stated it gives the kids a chance to ask questions face to face with the instructor. Or if the kid is to shy to ask questions they can learn from the questions asked by other kids. Second, while I agree safe gun handling and ethical hunting practices should be taught and reinforced at home. But, if some of these kids were taught by their parents or peers the rest of us would not be safe in the woods. We at least give the kids the chance to see it done the correct way. I would rather hunt with some of our students than many of thier parents.

But I do think the online classes are the way to go for an adult needing the hunter safety certificate to hunt out of state. For an older experienced hunter there is little to be gained by sitting in a class with 12yr olds.

The online class really can not replace some of the hands training you get in the class room. Kids can learn all they want online or in a book but picking up each type of gun action and working it in a classroom makes a lot of difference when it comes to the real thing. All of us instructors would bring in our own guns for the kids to try working the actions and loading and unloading with dummy rounds. Just naming them on a test doesn't replace learning how to work them! As far as training starting at home I agree with but it was a bit of an eye opener as we would go around the classroom the very first day of class and ask the kids their names and why they wanted to be there and who sent them there. Most would say because they wanted to learn to hunt but there were a few that said because my Dad or Stepdad has guns in the house and my Mom wanted me to learn about guns. One girl said that her Dad would not let her play Paintball until she took a gun safety glass. shocked Still good reasons to learn about guns but there were some kids who wanted to take it for themselves and their parents didn't want them there or to do anything with Guns! eek So some at home training isn't really there. frown

I am onboard with many of you with regards to the classroom learning versus the online training. I have to admit it had alot to do with scheduling and the state shutdown behind our reasoning to go the online route. We had some good discussions about the material she was learning. I was able show her a wide variety of actions, how to load(dummy rounds) and unload them and how to clean them and store them after using them. I think she missed out on the anecdotal stories, kids questions, and my favorite, the CO coming in and speaking. The instructor that we set up field day with insisted she come to class the last night of the course and take the written exam along with the people in the class. I liked this idea because it made my daughter study the online material so she would be ready for the written test. I want to thank all of you for you input and thank those of you that volunteer your time to instruct. The online course worked for us this time around but, schedule permitting, I will be sitting in the classroom with both my other kids when the time comes.

Tunrevir~

I know the decision is done, but I wanted to add my 2 cents. When I took gun training in 1988, we brought our guns to school and kept them in our lockers. How times have changed! We moved here a couple of years ago, and my oldest son to that point had grown up in the city, little to no gun experience but he really wanted to go hunting. The class was invaluable to him, to be able to hear experiences and stories, and ask questions. Online classes, IMO, are better as a supplement, or maybe for someone who like my husband was licensed in another state 20 years ago but needed a refresher. Not to mention at the age many kids start taking safety classes, they are starting to get to the "my parents don't know jack" stage, and hearing the rules, and ethics from others is important, I think. At least for my son it was, because clearly mom doesn't know ANYTHING about guns or hunting :P