• RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
TurnUpTheFishing

Side imaging question

TurnUpTheFishing

Just curious, for those of you who have Humminbird SI units what do you run your sensitivity on? I run mine around 12-13 usually but need to crank it up around 18 when I am in 25+ feet of water. Is this common?

My unit works good less than 25' but when going deeper I get such a week return the whole screen is almost black, you cant see much change between the water column and the images to the side of the boat.

TruthWalleyes

Between 9 and 11 typically. Your settings sound completely wacko!

Google: BBC Humminbird Image Interpretation

Start reading the info on that site. It sounds like you don't know which settings to have or what your image should look like. That website is a great place to start!!

TurnUpTheFishing

Yeah I dont get it either

I dont think Im that clueless, actually get pretty good (i think) images, similiar to some that other people post online. Ill try to remember to grab some screen shots next time out.

I can find rock piles/hard bottom, Weed lines, fish, etc... In fact yesterday I marked bass on a sunken hump, marked 'em, and actually caught a few. That was my first time I saw and caught fish other than panfish with it.

TruthWalleyes

There are a lot more things to consider that sensitivity when tuning your graph to the conditions. Boat speed is a big factor. (your graph needs to be the same speed as the boat)

Are you running in the higher frequency or the lower? (Higher frequency should be used in less than 20', but there really is no need to switch from the lower frequency IMO) Frequency will be a huge difference in sensitivity settings.

What is your color background? (also effects the sensitity you have)

Are you looking for fish, or bottom content, or etc...Adjust your settings accordingly to see one specifically, or another setting to see most everything.

Contrast?

Sharpness?

Brightness?

Are your turning constantly, or keeping a straight line?

Do you have any interference from you boat, motor, cavitation, etc?

I'm not calling you clueless, just suggesting that you will have all your questions answered if you go to that BBC forum i posted above. There's all the info you need, and the experts to answer your questions if you join the site.

If you havent, read the manual.

TurnUpTheFishing

I do set chart speed to match my boat speed usually 2-3. Usually run the standard blue or sometimes the amber 1 color. Usually Im looking for everything fish, bottom content, cover, etc. If Im more into searching for fish I up the sharpness to medium or high, usually have it set to low though. I try to run a straight line when watching my SI.

I usually tinker with contrast and sensitivity to try and make things pop out in different situations but like I said usually run sensitivity around 12.

The only think I havnt played with is the frequency. Whatever it comes set on is the frequency Ive been running. Ill try tinkering with that next time.

The only interference I have is a very, very slight amount on the left side as I have the unit mounted on the right of the transom.

Ill look into that site some more...

TruthWalleyes

To me, anything higher than 12 is too bright, and you miss lots of things.

You do want a certain amount of clutter on your screen, but judging on your sensitivity of 12 or more, you've probably got it cranked up too much and are seeing way too much clutter on the screen. Turn it up too high and its just picking up all the crud in the water.

You could post a snapshot.

How wide do you run your side imaging? Best picture is about 2X the water depth.

harvey lee

Go to Humminbird's website and there are a few good reads on how to set your SI.

I had some issues with getting what I wanted and after reading the information, I have been more than happy with my SI.

I made maybe 5-6 changes to get the needed set up.

Like Truth, I run my sensitivity at about 8-10.

Try this link to YTou Tube. It has tons of great info on SI set up to help you understand how to set your unit up.

Ham

I have found on mucky bottoms I have to crank mine to 20. I have two units 797 and 997 both act the same have to crank up to 20 on deep mucky bottoms.

TurnUpTheFishing

How wide do you run your side imaging? Best picture is about 2X the water depth.

I have the 798 so with the small screen I usually run 75' and never over 100' unless Im scanning one side then 125'.

MN Mike

My 798 is the same way, if I get over 20 feet on a muddy bottom I have to crank it up ( max it out if it's near 30 FOW and muddy ), if it's sandy or rocky, no problem, a setting of 10 or so is just fine.

Mike

reddog

When on 455 khz, mine stays on Auto 90% of the time. I know its frowned upon by the BBC guys, but

800 requires more sensitivity.

TruthWalleyes

I have found on mucky bottoms I have to crank mine to 20. I have two units 797 and 997 both act the same have to crank up to 20 on deep mucky bottoms.

Mucky bottoms are supposed to be darker. If there were actually fish present, they would show up as harder returns. (White on the dark mucky bottom) Now if you crank up your sensitivity to 20 on a mucky bottom so the bottom shows a brighter return, your making mud look like rock.

Your choice i guess.

Nick Kuhn

I run my 798 at 10-12 and never have any problems in deep muck. Frankly there's nothing to see there, so you won't get any detail. If all you have is dark blue all the way across from left to right, don't fish there. It looks like nothing is there because there is nothing there. Fish, bait balls, sticks, rocks, etc will show up if they are on that muck at normal settings.

TruthWalleyes

I run my 798 at 10-12 and never have any problems in deep muck. Frankly there's nothing to see there, so you won't get any detail. If all you have is dark blue all the way across from left to right, don't fish there. It looks like nothing is there because there is nothing there. Fish, bait balls, sticks, rocks, etc will show up if they are on that muck at normal settings.

+1

TurnUpTheFishing

Maybe that's what Im running into then. I didnt realise that such soft bottoms send back almost no return.

Ill still try to grab a screen shot next time out.

I signed up and looked through photos on the yahoo side imaging group and I get images like many of the ones posted, maybe not as good as some but Ive only had this toy half a season, still learning.

TruthWalleyes

Its not that it is sending back no return or low return, Its telling you the difference in bottoms. Dark is soft bottom, Light is hard bottom. (also Lighter is a rise in depth, and darker a drop in depth) And if your not seeing anything on that soft dark bottom, there really isn't anything there besides mud.

TurnUpTheFishing

Well I did some driving around and grabbed some snapshots this past weekend with my unit. I actually was reading bottom just fine in 30'+ of water. I think you guys were right, must have been over a very soft bottom before. Like I said, first year, still learning to interpret my images. Also I think I was running my sensitivity too high and brought it down a fished most the day with it around 10-11 and started getting used to it.

How do the images Im getting look? These first two are the same rock pile that drops into deep water. I believe those are fish (bass) on the edge of it, they pop better in the second image. I did catch a fair amount of bass on this spot.

full-8016-11156-si1.jpg

full-8016-11157-si2.jpg

These next three are a different rock ledge, same image but sensitivity changed. See any fish in these images? I dont notice any with my untrained eye but I did catch bass here as well.

full-8016-11158-siledge1.jpg

full-8016-11159-siledge2.jpg

full-8016-11160-siledge3.jpg

katoguy

If you are trying to look for individual fish try turning your sharpness up. It will really make the fish pop, but the whole pic will be grainy. I adjust it back and forth when I am looking for fish versus bottom detail.