• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

RIP "Riley" Hunt'm up!

Powerstroke

Today I had to face the toughest decision of a pet owner. The vet came to our house and put him to sleep on his favorite blanket while he stared out the window in our arms.

For the last week or so my 5yr old Springer Riley has been a little sluggish, but nothing abnormal. Then all of a sudden on thursday night he was not using his left leg and he had no sensation in it. We decided to wait overnight and take him to the vet in the morning. By friday morning he was barely using his hind legs. After lots of checking the vet determined a spinal issue and xrays showed probable 2 bulging disks near his TL vertebrae. Our second opinion was from the UofMN vet hospital where they would do the spinal surgery if we chose. They diagnosed the same thing and said he had little chance of recovery using just medicine and that surgery would only provide an 80% chance of mobility and his active "springer" lifestyle was probably over. Also this would cost several thousand dollars.

My wife and I have always believed in having a quality of life worth living and I could not see having major surgery just so I could keep my springer as a house dog. It seemed selfish. Also he was no longer able to use his legs, he had no control of his bladder/bowels and was in constant pain even with the pills we were giving him. We did prolong the inevitable in order to bring him home to our two daughters for one last night. We camped out in the living room together and spent the night with him. Telling my girls is the hardest thing I've ever had to do.

Our local vet offered to come to the house after his morning appts. to do the injections. I was able to let Riley outside and he actually got around okay on the wet grass by dragging his butt with his front legs, but he was extremely sore after that. I feel a little bad, but I'm glad he got to run the yard with me one more time. At 12:30 the vet arrived and we held him tight as he went to sleep.

He was a great hunting dog, family dog, camping dog, boat dog, copilot and driving companion. It went way to fast and came to the end way too soon. We'll miss you Riley boy!!! Hunt'm up!!

DSCN0300.jpg

never an easy post to read when a loved pet i put to rest. tough just reading it. had to stop reading a couple of times to wipe a few tears. baby sitting my daughters pup today for an overnighter. brings me joy, along with memories of our two dogs we put to rest a few years ago. sorry about your loss. good luck.

Man I hate these stories....I'm very sorry for your loss, but glad you got to spend the last moments with him.

Having posted a "rip" story myself and keeping a couple to myself, my heart goes out to you and your family. Remember the good times, talk about him often and smile when you do so! It is the worst part of being a good, responsible pet owner. best wishes!

Sorry about your loss. Don't know what I'd do if I couldn't play with my Springer every morning and evening.

My thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family. I'm so sorry for your loss. I'm in the same position with my 12yr old E-Setter, Jasmine. Maybe Riley can meet her at the bridge and show her the ropes. frown

Man, you have had quite the week! Most of us here have had to go through this and truly feel for your lose. Give the girls a hug and try to think about all the good times.........

Man I got to quit ready these posts. It always makes me think about the day I'll eventually have to make the same decision with my boy. I just hate thinking about it.

Sorry for your loss, its always too soon.

Sorry to hear about your dog. It's tough to have to make that decision on a young one. What vet did you use? My boys are getting up there and have always hated going to the vet.

Sorry to hear of Riley of leaving you in such a short time. He sounds like he lived a lifetime though!

Godspeed Riley!

Ken

It never gets easier reading these. Sorry for your loss.

I am very sorry to hear about Riley. His time here was cut way too short. I have a golden retreiver that is going to be 14 years old in January and she was just diagnosed with bone cancer 2 weeks ago. I am dreading the day when it comes and I know it is going to be one of the hardest things I've ever had to do. Just remember all the good times and know that they are going to a better place.

Sorry to hear of your loss, my sincere condolences. I've been there as have many, we feel your pain.

That happy dog was a major part of this family and there are a few HSO members who've also enjoyed his company. I will miss him dearly. Thank you for all the kind words.

Our vet is the Chanhassen Vet Clinic. They have been a fantastic vet through the years and have always given great advice. They are familiar with hunting dogs and their unique needs a injuries. Despite having a bowel obstruction (missed his first hunting opener), requiring 20 stitches to close a deep leg wound from grouse hunting, getting numerous shots, having terrible ear infections (dang springer ears) and all the routine maintenance my dog loved the vet, right up to the moment he got the injection. Our vet came to the house to do it and I am eternally grateful to have that moment at home with him. I don't know when we'll be ready for a new pup, but I know where I will bring him when we get one.

With tears in my eyes I offer you my sympathy. What a tough decision and a huge loss for your family. I love my 3 GSPs so much. I'm at work right now and absolutely cannot wait to get home to them. They will be sleeping on the bed waiting for me! I wish you and your family all the best. May the sweet memories of Riley carry you all thru this hard time. Rest in peace, Riley.

I know the feeling. Just had to put my lab down. Vet couldn't get him in until late afternoon, so at least I got to spend the day with him.

full-35355-10872-gunnerobit.jpg

Sorry about your loss of Gunner. There is never a good time to lose a friend and a dog is much more than a friend.

I remember you talking about him when we hunted on the duck opener a few years ago.

Sorry for your loss.