• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Join In - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

You know what we all love...

The same things you do!!!! Share what you love & enjoy in the outdoors as well as thank those whose posts you 'appreciate.'

Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
tacklejunkie

Losing fish on dipsey divers

tacklejunkie

Seems this year I'm losing more fish on the dipseys(lake trout).

The only thing I'm doing different is using those Opti whatever snubbers on them as opposed to the Luhr Jensen brand of snubbers. Could this be a factor???

Northlander

I doubt it but ya never know. I use many different type rubber snubbers and havent noticed a difference. Maybe just make sure hooks are sharp and set the drag so that after the dypsie releases and the fish is fighting the rod only that the drag slips just a tad. Is it at the fish hitting or while playing the fish to the boat? I lose more fish on dypsies than anything else. I think them fish get that dypsie moving around quite a bit and that gets them hooks opening up bigger holes. Maybe even try a single seawash hook on the spoons?

tacklejunkie

I doubt it but ya never know. I use many different type rubber snubbers and havent noticed a difference. Maybe just make sure hooks are sharp and set the drag so that after the dypsie releases and the fish is fighting the rod only that the drag slips just a tad. Is it at the fish hitting or while playing the fish to the boat? I lose more fish on dypsies than anything else. I think them fish get that dypsie moving around quite a bit and that gets them hooks opening up bigger holes. Maybe even try a single seawash hook on the spoons?

While playing fish to the boat. I may have to go lighter on the drag and I'll try that single hook thing. I'm using fireline for the main line

Northlander

Ya I use power pro. I tried mono on a dypsie rod once and didnt like it at all. The dypsies trip much nicer with a superline. Truthfully I use dypsies about a dozen times a year. I just dont care for them much. They do help ya get fish but I have started doing more leadcore, inline weights and snap weights on boards. I dont usually fish with more than 2 people in my boat so I usually dont need dypsies in my spread.

2thepointsetters

Seems this year I'm losing more fish on the dipseys(lake trout).

The only thing I'm doing different is using those Opti whatever snubbers on them as opposed to the Luhr Jensen brand of snubbers. Could this be a factor???

Keep your rod tip up and don't horse the fish in to the boat. I use 30 lb power pro on mine with no issues. If I had to guess I would say my boat has close to a 100 percent success with lakers on the dipsy. Keep trying and you will start to like them. Got nine fish today and 3 came off dipseys.

tacklejunkie

Went out last night and instructed those I fish with to take it easy and it worked out.

Picked up three last evening. Nothing big but good solid eaters