• RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
carverfshrmn

Marion

carverfshrmn

Anybody catching any fish on marion this last week?

Avid Angler

I have not heard antyhing. Mainly skiers and people messing around.

carverfshrmn

Was out on Sat, got 3 decent eyes before noon.

jmg

Did you keep the walleyes and, if so, did you eat them yet? Just curious, since some people have said they don't taste good out of that lake. Have a great week!!!!

carverfshrmn

Yes we did, And they were fine, we put ice in our live wells while fishing and it really helps!

jmg

Thanks for the info. We do nearly the same thing(cooler with ice) and it does make a world of difference, esp. when the surface water temp is as high as it is. Wishing you good luck the next time you're out!!!

carverfshrmn

Same to you! We hope to be out there this Sat! We keep you posted.

Avid Angler

Hey Carver!

What is your technique out there? Are you casting, trolling, drifting??

If you don't want to give too much detail on here, send me a pm. I have a few tips for that lake.

Avid

harvey lee

Avid, I have a few questions about Marion.

if you could shoot me an e-mail at

leeharvey@frontiernet.net.

Thanks

carverfshrmn

Avid,

I am glad to share! We cast Berkley Power tails mostly, then raps is second choice!

Our best luck is on the tails. They seem to out do all others. We will have one of us using one or the other, then switch to which one they are dinning on that day,LOL, but the tails work by far the best for us. No matter what lake we fish.

jmg

We made it out to Lake M this past weekend, but didn't do well. Only managed to "guide" my brother to one keeper walleye. Told him it must have been the cold front that screwed things up, so to speak. Had a great time, though. Plenty of weeds yet. Water temp ave. 81-82 degres. Good Luck to all who plan to fish this upcoming weekend! Stay safe!!!

Avid Angler

Carver,

You have a PM.

Avid

Avid Angler

Tried Marion last night for the first time since June 1st. WOW!! That was all I could say about the weeds in there this year. What a difference a year makes. Last year, no weeds. This year, loaded with weeds in 8 ft or less. There are even patches in the deeper parts. One positive that I could see was all the young of the year panfish. The panfish numbers are down in Marion, but after this summer, I think it should be on a come back. It will take probably two years before they are worth keeping.

I fished for about 3 hours and managed a small crappie, a small walleye and one huge carp. Those weeds are difficult to fish right now, but as the water cools down, it should get better.

Avid

c0untryf1sh3r

From what I have seen I would have to agree with you Avid, the panfish population is on the upswing but (not trying to put the blame on any one person or be a debbie downer) I have also seen a fare share of people keeping those 7 and 8 inch fish.

My father and I went to the Sportsmans show in Hutch a number of years ago and "Tackle" Terry Tuma was holding a seminar and one point he made was to consistently release the spawning age fish and keep the "adolescent" fish if your craving fish for supper. I know that is the same as the slot limit regulation but that is definately something I will pass down to my little girl when shes old enough to understand.

I doubt the DNR would/will put a slot on panfish (mainly crappies and sunnies) but I believe it would greatly improve fishing on many area lakes over a relatively short amount of time. Curious as to what your take on the idea would be as well.

Avid Angler

Hey Country,

I am in agreement with you. I do think mature fish should be released for future populations. With sunfish, the mature males should be released. I have preached this for the last few years. There is good evidence that this works, but we as sportsman and DNR need to educate the people. I don't like to keep crappies over 10 inches. Those fish are in the reproduction prime of thier lives and should be released.

I am not going to lie to anyone. If I am having a tough day on the water and want a meal of fish, I will keep a few fish that go against those guidlines. The big thing is to release those fish if you are smacking them good. If you have a choice to keep some smaller fish for the pan, that is when you need to do it.

Avid