• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Possible state record tiger musky caught in the st. louis

Good thread/discussion already going on about this topic in another forum here

Would have blown away the MN. record but not the Wi.

There is no way it could have captured the MN state record b/c there is a 50 inch minimum to harvest a muskie on the STL river. Very cool fish tho. Not often you hear of natural occuring tigers, especially at this size

Wouldnt have been a record anywhere because of the 50" mark on the St. Louis. Who knows maybe next year. All I know is after the pics hit the net there were a ton of muskie guys out in the bay looking for one like that. grin

My question is how would it be a record (if of legal size), or where, when it was caught in a border water? Both states? Would they go by a imaginery line in the river deciding what state it was caught in? I have never thought of that before.

I think it would depend on licensing. If the angler was only licensed in MN, I don't think the WI DNR could even attempt to process the fish as a state record. I don't think the majority of MN and WI anglers buy licenses for both states, although some do. There would be no imaginary line because lets face it, there is no way to prove which side of the river it came from. I think it would go down to which state the angler is licensed in and which state's DNR they call to get the fish certified on an official scale. In MN you have to take the fish to a DNR fisheries office for positive identification and a state record fish application (I don't think you could do that for both states)

Do you guys think that this fish possibly was a lake Superior native and found its way into the harbor? Interesting stuff and mad props to Pete, Dustin, and the crew at NLMA! Nice to know that a fish like that is still out there. I agree with Steve, Musky guys have been combing the riv lately, and from the sounds of it been real good too! Word from Shawn @ Loons~ Keyes outdoors was filming a show out there for like all week last week... Looking forward to it airing!

Ya they been bangin the ski's in the bay thats for sure. Slow up river but a few being caught up there.

The walleyes arent jumpin in the boat but if a guy can find some current seems off the channel you can usually find some eyes and they all seem to be in that 21" to 28.5" range. They are pretty spread out so dont expect any huge numbers in 1 area. If you get fish in 1 spot and it slows down try to find another area like that one even if its just a few hundred yards away.

Some good pointers there Steve...I have no clue since I don't fish muskies, but if I were to guess I would say that it has to be a fish that lives in the harbor with an occasional vacation to superior. Follows the forage around in the warm, protected harbor waters...Sounds good if nothing else! crazy

With the huge explosion in the shiner and perch population I wouldnt doubt it has all it wants in the river along with suckers, ruffies, gobeys and of course its favorite meal the walleye. (Just yokin all you ski hunters)

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• jparrucci
      Very low, probably 2 feet lower than last year at ice out.
    • mbeyer
      what do they look like this spring?
    • SkunkedAgain
      I might have missed a guess, but here are the ones that I noted:   JerkinLips – March 27th, then April 7th Brianf. – March 28th Bobberwatcher – April…. MikeG3Boat – April 10th SkunkedAgain – early April, then April 21st   Definitely a tough year for guesses, as it seemed to be a no-brainer early ice out. Then it got cold and snowed again.
    • mbeyer
      MN DNR posted April 13 as Ice out date for Vermilion
    • Brianf.
      ^^^45 in the morning and 47 in the evening
    • CigarGuy
      👍. What was the water temp in Black Bay? Thanks....
    • Brianf.
      No, that wasn't me.  I drive a 621 Ranger. 
    • CigarGuy
      So, that was you in the camo lund? I'm bummed, I have to head back to the cities tomorrow for a few days, then back up for at least a few weeks. Got the dock in and fired up to get out chasing some crappies till opener!
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   Lots of ice on the main basin, but it is definitely deteriorating.  Some anglers have been fishing the open water at the mouth of the Rainy River in front of the Lighthouse Gap.  The rest of the basin is still iced over. Pike enthusiasts caught some big pike earlier last week tip up fishing in pre-spawn areas adjacent to traditional spawning areas.  8 - 14' of water using tip ups with live suckers or dead bait such as smelt and herring has been the ticket.  Ice fishing for all practical purposes is done for the year. The focus for the basin moving forward will be pike transitioning into back bays to spawn,  This is open water fishing and an opportunity available as the pike season is open year round on Lake of the Woods. The limit is 3 pike per day with one being able to be more than 40 inches. All fish 30 - 40 inches must be released. With both the ice fishing and spring fishing on the Rainy River being so good, many are looking forward to the MN Fishing Opener on Saturday, May 11th.  It should be epic. On the Rainy River...  An absolutely incredible week of walleye and sturgeon fishing on the Rain Rainy River.     Walleye anglers, as a rule, caught good numbers of fish and lots of big fish.  This spring was one for the books.   To follow that up, the sturgeon season is currently underway and although every day can be different, many boats have caught 30 - 40 sturgeon in a day!  We have heard of fish measuring into the low 70 inch range.  Lots in the 60 - 70 inch range as well.   The sturgeon season continues through May 15th and resumes again July 1st.   Oct 1 - April 23, Catch and Release April 24 - May 7, Harvest Season May 8 - May 15, Catch and Release May 16 - June 30, Sturgeon Fishing Closed July 1 - Sep 30, Harvest Season If you fish during the sturgeon harvest season and you want to keep a sturgeon, you must purchase a sturgeon tag for $5 prior to fishing.    One sturgeon per calendar year (45 - 50" inclusive, or over 75"). Most sturgeon anglers are either a glob of crawlers or a combo of crawlers and frozen emerald shiners on a sturgeon rig, which is an 18" leader with a 4/0 circle hook combined with a no roll sinker.  Local bait shops have all of the gear and bait. Up at the NW Angle...  Open water is continuing to expand in areas with current.  The sight of open water simply is wetting the pallet of those eager for the MN Fishing Opener on May 11th.   A few locals were on the ice this week, targeting pike.  Some big slimers were iced along with some muskies as well.  If you like fishing for predators, LOW is healthy!  
    • Brianf.
      Early bird gets the worm some say...   I have it on good authority that this very special angler caught no walleyes or muskies and that any panfish caught were released unharmed.        

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.