• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

McNabb to the Vikes ?

Jim Almquist

I'm not sure what's so odd about Wandering's statement. If objectivity is what you're looking for, there's no denying the Packers barely made the playoffs last year.

They certainly got hot at the right time and were the best team in the playoffs, but the at the very least they had a little luck on their side just to make the playoffs.

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LMITOUT

• Scott K

• james_walleye

• FISHINGURU

lol, I am far from a purple kool aid, delusional fan. If you go back to last years thread of what their record would be for the year, I believe I picked 5-11, or 6-10. My guess for this year I havent made yet, because if they add a few more pieces, it could be the difference between a 5-11 year and a 10-6 year. Right now the way the Vikings are set, I am going with 5-11.

But if they shore up the OL, and the OL can make holes for Peterson, and are able to give McNabb some time to find a WR, I think that will add a couple wins. If they can get an elite CB, and move Winfield to safety, that would greatly improve our secondary. Even a big WR would improve their offense greatly, if they cant stack the box, and can have someone down field that can catch the ball on the run, that will free Peterson up for a breakout year. If they choose not to address these major issues, I forsee a doormat year. Since the other teams in the division have improved drastically in the past few years, while the Vikings have went backwards.

Even a big WR would improve their offense greatly, if they cant stack the box, and can have someone down field that can catch the ball on the run, that will free Peterson up for a breakout year.

How about some average WRs, they have no WRs to throw the ball too. The NFL has become a QB/WR game, and the Vikes have no WRs to throw the ball to.

I love it!! grin

Percy Harvin I would consider a good WR. Other then that, the rest of their WR core, is average at best.

I would consider Harvin an average WR, the rest are well below average. McNabb has no one to throw the ball down field to.

I have one question for the folks who think McNabb is the answer, Did you see him play last yr?

I tried to. I believe he was pulled for Rex Grossman the game I watched laugh

But at this point all you can do is cross the fingers on one that he plays adequate this year, and cross the fingers on your other hand that Ponder develops into a good QB.

Other then McNabb having no one to throw to last year, and having some in accuracy issues, his numbers were pretty good. In 12.5 games, he had 3,375 yards. He could have easily broke 4,000 if he wasnt benched. He was a player that wasnt on the coaches good side, and got benched. His completion ratio of 58.3 was a little low, but he also had WR issues as well. The part that hurt him was the int's, which could have had a lot to do with the receivers as well, or the routes.

Harvin is definitely an above average or good WR. Great, well I dunno about that. Dynamic player though that can do a lot of interesting things.

OL is their biggest issue on offense, even with their very vanilla receiving core. Give McNabb time and he will have a good year. If he's getting crushed every other play we'll be lucky to win 4 games this year. Peterson feeds off of a good passing game too, so we need both elements.

Defense is where we differ from 2 years ago. Some real holes there as well. Williams wall, suspect secondary. Man we need to pick up 3 or 4 key guys.

Why let Rice go? Doesn't make sense..... crazy

Harvin has never even had a 1000 yd season, average WR at best.

We didnt let Rice go, he wanted out, nothing could have changed his mind. Harvin has had medical issues, that has prevented a break out year, inwhich are suppose to be solved now.

Why let Rice go? Doesn't make sense...

Harvin has never even had a 1000 yd season, average WR at best.

Salary cap issues dictated that Rice would not be resigned. He wanted way too much money and he got it from a team that was 30-some million under the cap and in a position to outbid almost any other team. Seattle will regret that decision.

As for Harvin, he is predominantly a slot receiver (who is also a very good kick off returner) and not often used as a down field guy. The fact that he even got close to a 1,000 yards in each of his first two seasons is remarkable. He most certainly is a good/great receiver and was AP Offensive Rookie of the Year in 2009 (but I guess that was for his average performance crazy)

Pikestabber,

A slot WR who averages 800 yds a season and TDs is not a great WR by any means, average at best.

The Vikes have no down field WR threat, they need to have that to open up the middle for Peterson and Harvin.

And don't forget about our tight ends. They could make a huge difference running routes down the middle...

Also don't forget that McNabb has never had Adrian Peterson behind him. If AP can manage to have an avg year, the Vikes can move the ball.

I am not, nor have I ever been a McNabb fan. I do believe last year was a fluke, and wouldnt be fair to judge how he will play this year, compared to last. A few things going for him, he has AP, he has 2 very good TE options, he has a good slot receiver, he has a coaching staff that is excited to have him as their QB, and he has to prove himself this year, or he wont get another gig. I see the OL line to be equivalent to what he had last year in Washington. If we can improve our OL, and pick up a decent #1 receiver, our offense will be much improved.

Then we need to address the D smirk

A slot WR who averages 800 yds a season and TDs is not a great WR by any means, average at best.

We get it, the Pack won the SuperBowl.

If your Packer benchmark is Greg Jennings, Harvin's stats are almost identical to Jennings for their rookie and sophomore years. Roughly 1500 yards and an equal 15 combined TD's. I say good to very good numbers for the 1st two years of an NFL career. Stats often do not tell the story, which I think is especially true with Percy.

I am not, nor have I ever been a McNabb fan. I do believe last year was a fluke, and wouldnt be fair to judge how he will play this year, compared to last. A few things going for him, he has AP, he has 2 very good TE options, he has a good slot receiver, he has a coaching staff that is excited to have him as their QB, and he has to prove himself this year, or he wont get another gig. I see the OL line to be equivalent to what he had last year in Washington. If we can improve our OL, and pick up a decent #1 receiver, our offense will be much improved.

Then we need to address the D smirk

I agree with your take. So other than O-Line, WR, and Defense we're pretty much set!

Solbes,

I am not comparing Harvin to Jennings. I am comparing him to the great WRs and average WRs in the NFL, Percy is average, Not a # 1 WR, not even close. He does not stretch the field. That is what the Vikes need, to drop the safety back off the top of the box so AP has some room to run.

And yes the Pack did win the SuperBowl, what a great feeling!! grin

I have a hard time seeing many WR's that can do what Percy does. How many can get behind the QB and run with the ball just as good as most RB's? How many "Great" wr's even attempt to do KR/PR? The guy is in his THIRD YEAR, and your making it sound like he has been in the league for 10. Sure he may not be the best, maybe even far from it. But he is not average. I bet that I can name 31 other teams that would love to have Harvins versatility on their team.

Solbes,

I am not comparing Harvin to Jennings. I am comparing him to the great WRs and average WRs in the NFL, Percy is average, Not a # 1 WR, not even close. He does not stretch the field. That is what the Vikes need, to drop the safety back off the top of the box so AP has some room to run.

And yes the Pack did win the SuperBowl, what a great feeling!! grin

Harvin can most certainly stretch the field....he's just not asked to.

If I was building a team I'd take Percy over any WR on the Packers squad personally. If Percy was on the Packers catching balls from Rodgers all the cheese heads would be drooling over him.

The Vikes play calling and offensive scheme has been beyond [PoorWordUsage] for both AP and Percy, that will change this year.

RIVERFISH..YOU SAY MCNABB WILL BE BAD BECAUSE HE HAS NO GREAT RECIEVERS TO THROW TOO IN MINNESOTA.....HE HAS HALL OF FAME TYPE NUMBERS FOR HIS CAREER, WHO WERE HIS GREAT RECIEVERS OF THE PAST? HIS FIRST 4 YEARS HE WAS 12-4 AND 11-5 WITH NO RECIEVERS OVER 700 YARDS-HE FINALLY GOT TERELL OWENS AND THAT WAS IT, NO OTHER HELP.