• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Free agency

Scott K

While I will agree, we have a bunch of young prospects, but we dont have any NFL ready players to be a quality for the OL, (aka LT, RT, OG, C) We have Hutch, and now Johnson on our OL. Loadholt, and Mckinny are huge, but we need speed out there. If we place Johnson at gaurd, and have Hutch, we are ok on G. But Sullivan, Loadholt, and Mckinney wouldnt qualify as another teams backups, and that just goes to show you, the quality of our back ups for those positions. Safety, we have nobody. Last year we had about the worst safety core in the NFL, and we didnt improve that. As for receivers, we have some, and they will probably be average this year, but we have room for improvement. DE, With fat Pat, and Edwards leaving, and our back up DE Robinson being average at best, we certainly could use a a quality starter in the DL. Our DB, is questionable as well, as we have a bunch of youngsters, and some coming back from an injury, but those are all question marks. I dont have a problem with going with a couple youngsters as a gamble, but we have many holes to fill with not to many good youngsters.

We'll find out more about the O-line this season, sometimes it isn't the player but the coaching/scheme. Smart coaches and good schemes put players in position to succeed.

I bet both Mckinstain and Bloatholt are both maulers when they play guard instead of tackle.

I read an article where it talks about us running 4 different blocking schemes this year where in the past we mainly ran zone blocking.

We have good safeties that can play the game...Madieu is now gone and that will let some of the other "lesser" paid guys get their shot. They will be just fine.

Our receiving core is another subject...we need a solid #1 big time.

The O-Line will be a big question mark heading into this season...was it the zone blocking scheme that made them so bad or are they really not very good. This year will tell the story with this group.

I still don't think the Vikes are done with their final roster...they will pick up a starter or two before the season starts.

And look, we have an available upgrade.

Quote:
Free agent OG Leonard Davis is reportedly down to under 350 pounds and "said to be primed to go," for any interested teams.

The 33-year-old Davis should be willing to settle for a veteran's minimum kind of deal after being benched for Montrae Holland in Dallas last year. Still a powerful run blocker, Davis could at least be a versatile backup for a power-running team. He's made starts at right guard and both tackle spots in his career.

Sounds like from what I have heard that Mckinney is probably gone.

From the Strib:

MANKATO -- The Vikings have cut left tackle Bryant McKinnie,according to multiple reports.

McKinnie came into camp much heavier than expected and was placed on the non-football injury list Monday. He had a $4.9 million base salary and $1 million roster bonus for this season. Vikings coach Leslie Frazier said today that the newly signed Charlie Johnson would start out playing with the first team at left tackle.

Amen! McKinnie had some serious potential, and even had some good years. Last couple, most grandmas could beat him to the QB. I'm glad we're moving forward.

Oh and the next time you are voted into the Pro Bowl (which will be never), you might want to leave South Beach by 1 or 2 am so you can actually play in the game wink

We have awful safeties that can't play the game...Madieu is now gone and that will let some of the other "lesser" paid guys get their shot. They will not be fine.

The O-Line will be a big question mark heading into this season...was it the zone blocking scheme that made them so bad or are they really not very good. This year will tell the story with this group.

I still don't think the Vikes are done with their final roster...they will pick up a starter or two before the season starts.

Fixed it for ya.

Quote:
Offensive coordinator Bill Musgrave plans to start Berrian Berrian at split end with Percy Harvin at flanker.

The Vikings are reportedly one of the teams still in the mix for Malcom Floyd, but are no longer interested in Braylon Edwards. Berrian may end up starting after all. Harvin will be "moved around a lot," so expect to see him in the slot in three-wide sets with Michael Jenkins at flanker.

[quote=zepman We have awful safeties that can't play the game...Madieu is now gone and that will let some of the other "lesser" paid guys get their shot. They will not be fine.

I still don't think the Vikes are done with their final roster...they will pick up a starter or two before the season starts./quote]

Fixed it for ya.

Thank you.

Quote:
Braylon Edwards' one-year contract with the 49ers is for just $1 million with no guarantees, according to NFL Network's Jason La Canfora.

The deal was previously reported as a $3.5 million contract, but Edwards will only earn that if he catches 90 balls and goes to the Pro Bowl. In other words, it's not happening. It's a reminder of just how far Edwards' stock has fallen. His vertical speed is a poor fit with weak-armed Alex Smith. The Niners didn't overpay for Edwards' name and fantasy owners shouldn't either.

I think we could have gambled for that price!

I am very surprised by the Vikings lack of wanting to find free agents to fill some of their huge holes. I watch team activities and see a lot of teams bouncing players in and out, trying to better their teams. The Vikings on the other hand, must think they have a Super Bowl team already, since they havent bothered bringing in anyone to fill the lack of OLine, or the Safely position. There was a quite a few WR that were very affordable that we could have jumped at. Atleast be bringing in people and try to find an upgrade somewhere, but I guess our team is as good as it needs to be crazy . Oh well, we should be in the running for the top couple picks next year in the draft.

You can't expect them to do too much when they are near the salary cap can ya? Im sure if they had room they would be spending it too improve this team.

Hard to spend money you don't have, let them get rid of some more guy's, restructure some guys, and get some contracts to some of our big players we already have first.

No reason to go and over spend on medicore players.

We've done some awesome off season moves so far this year, got rid of Junkson, Chilly, Bevell, Mckinney, Lewis, Baskett, Leber, Madieu, ect. Don't get much better then that!!