• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Free agency

Scott K

The Vikings are already over the cap, and will need to make some cuts in order to get under the cap. The team has many needs, which I dont know how they plan on filling without being able to spend in free agency. We will need to be doing some contract restructuring and some cutting of players before we spend anything. Not going to look good for the Vikings this off season. There are some teams that need to spend a lot, and will really profit from free agency.

Tampa Bay – $59.2 million under

Seattle – $39 million under

Arizona – $37.3 million under

Chicago – $37 million under

Buffalo – $35.9 million under

Cincinnati – $35.9 million under

St. Louis – $35.6 million under

Kansas City – $34.3 million under

Jacksonville – $31.4 million under

Carolina – $30.6 million under

San Diego – $19.4 million under

San Francisco – $18.9 million under

Detroit – $16.6 million under

Atlanta – $13.9 million under

Philadelphia – $13 million under

New Orleans – $11.7 million under

Washington – $10.6 million under

Tennessee – $10.3 million under

Houston – $7.6 million under

New England – $7.6 million under

Baltimore – $5.3 million under

Denver – $1 million under

Green Bay – $62,000 under

New York Jets – $1.2 million over

Indianapolis – $2.7 million over

Minnesota – $5.1 million over

Oakland – $10 million over

Pittsburgh $10 million over

New York Giants – $11.3

Dallas – $18.9 million over

Dallas- 18.9 over? Yikes

I think the most surprising one is Tampa Bay at $59.2 million under. They can really go out and do some spending, and improve their team. Even Chicago, has a lot of money to spend.

Now that the lock out is over, the Nfc north door mate is on its way from Detroit, should be in MN in the next few days.

One or two LB's a DB or two and that 16 mil under the cap looks a lot better than than tampa's 59 mil under. Oh ya the D beat the Bucs last year when it counted. Yes and we did it with as many players on IR as the pack had.

GO and SPEND the 59 mil, equals the new redskins. You cant and never have been able to buy a ring.

I think the most surprising one is Tampa Bay at $59.2 million under. They can really go out and do some spending, and improve their team. Even Chicago, has a lot of money to spend.

Yeah and with Freeman and Williams emergence last year- thats scary. Washington should be over every year, but they skirt the cap by over paying on bonuses. Was Haynesworths contract guaranteed?

Our first signing of free agency!

Quote:
Vikings signed former Kentucky RB Derrick Locke.

A speedy scatback at 5-foot-8, 188, Locke was a college track star who doubled as a running back for the Wildcats. He impressed at the East-West Shrine Game, but several medical issues pushed him out of the draft. Locke's competition for playing time will come from Lorenzo Booker in Minnesota. He won't be on the fantasy radar barring injuries to Adrian Peterson and Toby Gerhart.

Quote:
Dave Mahler of 950 WKJR Seattle and Danny O'Neil of the Seattle Times both report the Seahawks have agreed to terms with QB Tarvaris Jackson.

Jackson is set to reunite with offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell as the Seahawks signal their intention to use 2011 as a building year. The Jackson vs. Whitehurst competition is bad news for the fantasy potential of the Seahawks receivers -- and about as thrilling as the Rexy vs. Becksy battle in Washington. Seattle figures to move from Kevin Kolb, all but ensuring a trade between the Cardinals and Eagles.

Dang, we could have had him grin

What are they overpaying Berrian this coming season? Talk about a waste of salary cap money.

Quote:
Vikings agreed to terms with WR Devin Aromashodu on a one-year contract.

Aromashodu is interesting flier on the cheap, but he's done nothing as a pro outside of a four-game run with the Bears late in the 2009 season. With just 41 career catches for 593 yards in five seasons, we'd hesitate to suggest he will be any more than a fourth receiver in Minnesota.

What are they overpaying Berrian this coming season? Talk about a waste of salary cap money.

Time to drop that FemaleDog

Was Haynesworths contract guaranteed?

Yes, most of it was IIRC. That's part of the reason they offered him a $21 million bonus last season.

Quote:
Vikings released S Madieu Williams.

So much for the idea that the short offseason would protect veterans with bloated salaries. Coach Leslie Frazier wanted to keep Williams around, but his play hasn't matched his scheduled $5.5 million salary. The Vikings will clear $3.5 million in cap space with the move.

Quote:
Patriots acquired Chad Ochocinco from the Bengals for late-round picks in 2012 and 2013.

Ochocinco, who was due $6 million, has agreed to a new a three-year contract. The Patriots have yet to make waves in free agency, but they've bought dirt cheap on a pair of impact veterans who will be revitalized after escaping football purgatory. Ochocinco and coach Bill Belichick have long formed a mutual admiration society, so this deal is no surprise. While Ocho is no longer a true downfield threat, he's still one of the best route runners in the league while adding much-needed size. The trade is great news for his fantasy value, and it wouldn't be a surprise if he finished 2011 as Tom Brady's most productive receiver.

Glad Madieu is gone, you can't get any worse then that, so thats an upgrade without even knowing who will play there.

Hope Berrian is next unless he restructures his contract, we can find a guy off the couch for a case of beer that can catch as many balls as him in a year.

Bye Bye Gay Edwards, a cub scout could of got a handful of sacks per season lining up opposite of the Williams Wall and Jared.

Vikings reached agreement with former Falcons WR Michael Jenkins on a three-year contract.

YAY!!!

I'm so excited.......NOT

Not a bad signing if the plan is for him to take over for Greg Lewis. I suppose he's better then Berrian too, now we can drop that pie and use his money for someone else.

Bye Bye Gay Edwards, a cub scout could of got a handful of sacks per season lining up opposite of the Williams Wall and Jared.

+1!

I guess Berrian is staying on the team, Frazier has alot of confidence in him and says he'll step it up this year.

"Bernard Berrian is going to step up and have a great year," Frazier said.

The team's pursuit of several free agents -- they've been linked to Braylon Edwards, James Jones and Malcom Floyd in recent days -- suggests they're less than satisfied with the group remaining after losing top receiver Sidney Rice to the Seattle Seahawks.

But Frazier bristled when asked who will catch the ball from new quarterback Donovan McNabb, said acquiring a receiver is "not our focus" and dismissed the suggestion the Vikings need a deep threat.

"We've got Bernard Berrian here for a reason," Frazier said. "He's going step up and help us in that (deep-ball) area. Percy (Harvin) can still catch the ball deep. Visanthe (Shiancoe) can still stretch the field down the middle of the field. We've got some weapons to stretch the field when we need to."

Berrian, whose cap number is more than $6.25 million, had six-year lows last season in catches (28), receiving yards (252) and touchdowns (zero) on a career-low 9.0 average. But he posted on Twitter that he was at Winter Park earlier this week, received new coordinator Bill Musgrave's playbook and "now it's time to study study study."

I would love to see him in Purple!

Quote:
Asked by reporters Monday whether he's requested a trade, Eagles CB Asante Samuel replied, "No comment."

Samuel said he feels "50-50" about being wanted by the Eagles. The team has been evasive as well when asked about Samuel's future on the roster following the Nnamdi Asomugha signing, indicating Samuel is indeed available. The Eagles' asking practice is uncertain, but his $5.9 million base salary isn't prohibitive. They may hold out in hopes of being offered a second-day pick.

This was a great sign by the Vikes!

Quote:
Vikings signed T/G Charlie Johnson, formerly of the Colts.

Johnson graded out poorly as a pass-blocking left tackle in Pro Football Focus' ratings, but he was Peyton Manning favorite. Johnson's value is in his versatility and reliability, as he played both sides at tackle and guard in Indy. It's a good bet that he's slated for right guard in Minnesota with Anthony Herrera coming off ACL surgery. The Vikings O-Line is still among the worst run-blocking units in the league.

I didnt figure they would keep him on his current contract. He was way over paid.

Quote:
Bernard Berrian has restructured his contract and is now scheduled to be a free agent after this season.

At least he should be motivated in a contract year. Berrian has been downright awful in each of the past two seasons, often looking out of gas and alligator-arming would-be catches. We're stunned the Vikings brought him back, no matter how much his pay cut was. He simply can't play anymore. New offensive coordinator Bill Musgrave had better make sure Percy Harvin or a tight end is his quarterback's first read on virtually every snap, because Berrian and Michael Jenkins make up arguably the worst set of outside receivers in football.

Quote:
Vikings placed LT Bryant McKinnie on the non-football injury list.

Coach Leslie Frazier was guarded about McKinnie's status. Asked if it was a weight issue, Frazier replied, "We're working on that." The Vikings protected themselves against McKinnie's health by picking up veteran T/G Charlie Johnson.

crazy

I'd take Asante anyday of the week, good chance he's out of there after the Asomugha signing.

I'd also like for us to take a look at Osi from the Giants, him and Jared would be a mean combo.

I'd take Asante anyday of the week, good chance he's out of there after the Asomugha signing.

I'd also like for us to take a look at Osi from the Giants, him and Jared would be a mean combo.

I want the Vikes to get one of these 3, and I will be happy. Either Asante, Osi, or Edwards. Then cut McKinny, and find a nice replacement for him. I then would feel we have a chance at the division. Without that, we wont go .500

They could move Winfield to Safety, and have Asante take CB. One pick up and we improve on 2 positions.

I wouldn't waste anymore $ on FA (rejects). We have so many young guys on our roster, that are athletic, fast, and HUNGRY to play. They need coaching....and a chance. We can think the FA's are better....but there is a reason they are FA's. A lot of times teams drop players, because they think their young guys can be as good....and are cheaper. We need to trust our draft......until they PROVE they can't make it. We signed most of our practice squad guys last year, so we must think they have a chance to make it. I fully expect some of our young talent to keep roster spots, over some FA signees.

Definitely pick up a bomb corner and move Winfield to safety, thats the way to do it.

He'd be good out there floating around, run support, and blitzing.