• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

deer caliber

fishinjosh98

for a deer caliber i was thinking a .270 or 7mm-08 or whatever you think the best caliber is, i might want to go elk hunting to with this same caliber so...

270, 30-06, 308 great choices look up the ballistics tables on them also to give you am idea of performance.

All of the above are probably good. I hunt with a 7mm mag. Dont deer hunt much with it. I have shot two caribou, one antelope, one buffalo and one deer. All of the above dropped immediately except the deer. That one made it twenty yards. All shots were between 100 and 200 yards. I did miss a wolf once while moose hunting that was running. frown

Would not hesitate to use this on a elk hunt.

i have hunted with a .270 and 7mm both great guns but yeah the 7mm gives a bit more kick

I have 30-06, 7mm and 270 if I could only get one would be 30-06. More power than 270 not the kick of the 7mm. Also by far most variety of ammo and easy to find still has long range too.

hmm ill see what i get, my uncle has 22-250, 270, 7mm-08 and a couple more of same caliber and he said if i picked on of those he would reload for me

First off both are solid deer caliber rifles.

the 270 is certaninly more common and shells will be easier to find and cheaper than the 7mm-08 will be. However the 270 is in a standard length action- same as a 30-06 but the 7mm-08 is a short action round and you can find it in more compact rifles that may be a little lighter in weight.

Browning, Remington and many others have these short action rifles in their lineups.

I would certainly look at several different rifles in each caliber and see if there is one that you like better than the others.

Also check out some of the newer (last 5 years) Magnum short action rounds. They come in many of the popular calibers. .30, .270 and 7MM (.264 I think). They may be better suited for Elk and other larger game.

I personally have a 7mm-08 and like the gun alot. Mine is Remington model 7. It is a short action copy of the Remington 700's. A box of 270 shells is $7-10 dollars cheaper than the 7mm-08.

Good Luck with your purchase - Start looking at optics as well.

Steve

Take the .270 and never look back. It will do anything you need for deer in MN or MT or ND and it will do well on Elk too. Moderate recoil. Flat shooter.Has been around long enough that many loads developed for it and the caliber is well sorted out.

The others are either too light or more than you need. You will come to love a nice shooting .270.

What make/model rifle just out of curiosity.

22-250 is great for yotes (I have one and love it), but even with proper bullets it's less than marginal on big game. I'd go .270 given your choices.

If you're only limited to .270 or 7mm-08, I'd go with the .270 since it's more common. While I hope to never have to, it's nice to know that I can save my hunt buy buying ammunition at a gas station. That's one reason I shoot a .30-06.

It's a really nice offer from your uncle to reload for you. But, I wouldn't limit myself to those calibers just for that sake. Look at all the calibers available to you, see who shoots what in your circle of hunters and pick their brains as well. Make a decision based on all the factors, not just what your uncle is set up to reload. Perhaps you could make a deal with him to reload for you if you buy the dies for the round you decide to buy.

I'd get the .270, probably because that's what I've shot since I was about 10 years old, all through the same gun. I've taken Elk and deer without any problems from 30 yards to 300 yards. It's just a great gun.

The 270 will take care of many large game animals. Nice flat shooting rifle for the longer shots.

Ammo is very easy to find in almost every gun shop or store.

With most all big game calibers, practice with it and get it zeroes in well and you will fill the tag.

I shoot a 300 mag, 7mm, 270, 30-06 30-30 and a 243 on deer on they all work for those deer.

I would drop out the 243 and probably a 30-30 for the larger.

I would also look at the newer short mags in the above calibers.

I have shot a couple deer with a 22-250 but it is too small of a caliber for deer unless you have a perfect shot. I personally will never use one again.