• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Goals for 2011-2012 Season

bassNspear

Hard to think about spearing with 98 out side and humid to 125, but were gonna do it anyways.

whats your goals this year for the up coming season. I have a few, learn new lakes, learn a new lake, and try to find a new lake.

Im pumped to be more north now then where i was in the metro, so im pumped to get out and start finding lake in the cloud, little falls area.

How about you??

BNS

hope to get my house built this fall or sooner, would like to hit a few new lakes this year i did better this year going to new lakes, maybe get my gf into spearing, oh and spear cass lake laugh

You guys are hardcore. The only ice I think about these days are cubes floating in the cooler along with some barley sodas.

My goal for this year is to get out as much as possible. Enjoy the season. And avoid the usual debates.

I'm looking at building a new spear shack this fall and I would really like to try my hand at making a couple decoys.

You guys are hardcore. The only ice I think about these days are cubes floating in the cooler along with some barley sodas.

My goal for this year is to get out as much as possible. Enjoy the season. And avoid the usual debates.

Huey I look into a cooler full of ice and I'm thinking about a pike rollen thru.

Spear cass if and when its legal

regain a certain trophy

maybe take first place at spear fest but I'll be happy to just place

Possibly start a spearing contest in this neck of the woods

make both Get to Gator's

These are just a few to name but the most important of all is to get BNS a Hill Billy spinner laugh

I like Hueys idea on avoiding the usual debates.

My goal is to get a camera to use for finding a spot. I think that would help me be a little more mobile and try some different lakes.

Possibly start a spearing contest in this neck of the woods

You can count me in if you do this

How does that work? Spear as many as you can? Spear the biggest you can? Spear the most and the biggest you can??

So the fish has to die for your own personal glory, correct? This sounds like a great way to get rid of a lot of very nice fish.

My other goal is to get enough cash together to buy a wheel house with bunks and a spear hole. Ill gladly accept donations. grin

Please dont comment if you have nothing to add to the conversation

I was asking a question. A better one is, how does a killing contest benefit a lake? Fishing contests involve the release or attempted release of the fish in order to not further detriment the lakes to gain personal glory. This idea would seem to do the same, except you have to kill the thing.

Some guy spears a 14.2lb pike. How many 10-14lb fish are gonna die just because somebody wants to beat somebody else for personal glory?

How does that work? Spear as many as you can? Spear the biggest you can? Spear the most and the biggest you can??

So the fish has to die for your own personal glory, correct? This sounds like a great way to get rid of a lot of very nice fish.

Two years ago at another spearing contest 107 people speared 7 yes 7 pike the biggest was around 7 lbs last year the same contest 101 people entered and about just over twenty pike were brought to the scales biggest was just over 12lbs

IMO I would say the pike fair quite well and yes I enterd and placed both of those years I also ate those fish the next day.

This is no differnt than lets say the perch contest on Mille Lacs lake of other contests thru out the state those fish die also for personal glory as you put it. ecept maybe more fish are killed in that fashion.

To me its no different than a tournament durning the summer that says it catch and release after they are weighed in then tossed back into the lake IMO its a feel good option for those fishermen as they released the fish but what you dont see is all the dead one that dont make it out of the harbor the were released in.

So to answer your question YES no different than any other contest

Thanks for your comments

My other goal is to get enough cash together to buy a wheel house with bunks and a spear hole. Ill gladly accept donations. grin

got the frame of mine started on that MJ and Thanks wink

So a contest is generally just a one day thing. I was thinking it would be much longer. A day of just whomever gets lucky. That is different. Good explanation.

Hopefully we have enough ice for the gtg for you to use it.

hopefully and it will be lighter than a trailor with all the gear grin

Hey Guys,

I think I made a huge mistake laugh As if I don't have enough hobbies already; with not enough time to do them as much as I want, I am taking up pike spearing this winter!!

Being a Wisconsin resident for the last 25 years (almost my whole life), I've never been able to spear pike. (Until MN changed the laws last year, but never got a chance to go yet).

I just moved to "The Dark Side" (Minnesota grin ) in Stacy a couple months ago and I am looking forward to poking some fish this winter laugh

I've icefished my whole life, but spearing is a whole new thing for me!

The last couple weeks I've spent some time researching and going through all of the old topics here trying to decide what to get. I bought a beginner's spear from Lakco as well as some bear creek decoys. In the next few weeks I'm cutting a 30" x 22" spear hole in the floor of my wheelhouse (that's as big as the frame will allow.) I plan on mounting 2 baitcasters on the wall with some eyebolts over the hole for the decoys.

For cutting a spear hole on the lake in the shack I plan on using my 120v 8amp Milwaukee power head with a Strikemaster 224 on the business end. It drills holes crazy fast with no fumes! For pulling the block I found a logging tool at Northern that should work great. I also bought a livewell dip net for clearing any shavings after I reverse the drill to flush the hole.

The next step will be blacking my shack out. It has curtains already, but I'm thinking about velcroing some black felt over the windows as well? Any other ideas as to what may work better?

I also have a Eskimo Grand Caravan and a Clam 6800 for early ice action.

Any other ideas that will help a new guy out??

Any lakes in my area that you guys could name to help get me started?

Thanks for any advice!

-Brandon

Looks like you have most of the basics covered. An ice saw would be helpful for cutting the hole. It gives you a nice clean edge.

I would think the felt deal for the windows would work good. I know a guy with a wheel house that painted some styrofoam black and cut it to fit the window openings.

I spear just north of North Branch and would be glad to help you out.

You should come to the GTG Dec 16-18. There will be alot of years of experience there and its a really good time.

Ice chisel is a good thing to have, get a wood decoy to see which you like better bruell is a good one or a nice hand carved one.

Yep b-man come to the GTG and you will not only learn alot but you Laugh until you cry we have a lot of fun at these GTGs

There are alot of guys that use augers to open there holes and thaT should work great. MJ knows that area very well

Good luck and welcome to the addiction of spearing your gonna love this sport

If you do look for a saw dont go cheap or get a look a like. Get a Fishtoys saw.

Always know before you throw and you will do fine

See ya on the ice

I plan on putting a spear hole in my wheel house. It shouldn't be too hard, just have to do some cutting and welding. And put some shutters over the windows.

Im sure The Archery sniper will jump on here and help you out B-man. He is from your area. We spend alot of time spearing the area and quite often have barbeques on sunday afternoons on the ice.

Im sure The Archery sniper will jump on here and help you out B-man. He is from your area. We spend alot of time spearing the area and quite often have barbeques on sunday afternoons on the ice.

Yep Bman look us up this winter we'll get you out and on some fish. With the way work was last winter I don't think MJ and I really missed that many days together on the lake and solved most of the worlds problems in the spear shack.

This winter I'm makeing it to both GTG's and spearfest again. Also dragging MJ around to some new waters that I have high hopes for.

You guys are great!

Thanks for the invites smile

I'll try to make it to at least one of the gtg's, and I look forward to fishing with you guys this winter! I'll keep in touch with you guys as the air cools.

My better half came home last night and asked what the 3 little fish in the tub were for grin

Thanks a ton laugh

-Brandon

Yeah they tend to look at you funny when your swimming your decoys in the tub, I used the kids pool last week for a new one I bought. Come on ice I'm ready for you.

Yeah they tend to look at you funny when your swimming your decoys in the tub, I used the kids pool last week for a new one I bought. Come on ice I'm ready for you.

They wouldn't look at you so funny if weren't in the tub with the decoy. grin