• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Michael Cuddyer ALL STAR!

PierBridge

They mentioned he is being thrown around as trade bait as the trade deadline gets closer. If they get rid of him, it will be the worst thing they can do. But seeing how genius Bill Smith has been since he came here, I don't put anything past them

They mentioned he is being thrown around as trade bait as the trade deadline gets closer. If they get rid of him, it will be the worst thing they can do. But seeing how genius Bill Smith has been since he came here, I don't put anything past them

"he's at his maximum trade value"

trading cuddyer would make sense. free agent next year. hicks in the minors is the future. span coming back. young coming back. revere playing too well to sit on the bench. plouffe could make a run in the outfield in the future. still have kubel, repko, tosoni.

the bad spin in my eyes is that cuddy's the closest thing we have to a legitimate clubhouse leader. take him away and you've got nothing in that department.

but if i had my choice, i'd trade delmon before cuddyer. i think delmon would get us more in return and he just doesn't fit the twins style of play.

trading cuddyer would make sense. free agent next year. hicks in the minors is the future. span coming back. young coming back. revere playing too well to sit on the bench. plouffe could make a run in the outfield in the future. still have kubel, repko, tosoni.

the bad spin in my eyes is that cuddy's the closest thing we have to a legitimate clubhouse leader. take him away and you've got nothing in that department.

but if i had my choice, i'd trade delmon before cuddyer. i think delmon would get us more in return and he just doesn't fit the twins style of play.

Cuddys making too much money. And on that note, if Morneau underperforms when he comes back, Id unload him too. Go after a marquee catcher and have Mauer spend 2/3rds of his playing time at first base next year.

there are those out there who said that they should have traded delmon when his value was high last year. same could be said right now about cuddy. as one mentioned, there is a bunch of outfielders on the team and cuddy has by far the highest contract amount and he's the oldest. cuddy's projected numbers at this point look to be pretty similar what delmon had last year. homers might be a little higher but rbi's down quite a few.

he's been hitting the ball as well as anybody in all of baseball during june and july but for you stat junkies, there are the months of april and may that did occur for cuddy and they were awful months at the dish. say all you want about not having rbi opportunities but reality is that isn't a legitimate excuse for april/may. during may I believe he drove in exactly one teammate the entire month and his risp batting average was below .200 most of the time. I remember one game where the tigers did the unthinkable of intentionally walking on the potential tying run in the 9th inning to be able to pitch to cuddy rather than morneau.

if team wants him bad enough and they got a heckuva offer, they could be doing themselves a favor trading him and then resigning him in the offseason. I don't expect them to trade him. I hope he continues playing well the remainder of the season but the downside of that is they will need to overpay him in the future in order for him to remain a twin or he will be gone in a scenario similar to when torii hunter left the team.

• 2 years later...

He's definitely deserving of the all star selection this year.suppose part of it is playing in a more hitter friendly park but still having a great season. Would have loved him had he played like this as a twin. Seems like there are a bunch of players out there that do much better when they leave the twins organization. That's a whole different topic though.

With the exception of the home runs, due in part to playing in Colorado, his numbers are kind of comparable to several years with the Twins. Double his 2013 stats and compare to the last five years with the Twins. You will have fewer runs scored, more hits, about the same doubles, fewer triples, more home runs (although fewer than in 2009),more rbi's ( fewer than in 2006),fewer walks and about average strikeouts. The reason you think he is so much "better" now that he has left is that you only see the highlights on tv. You aren't "forced" to watch the seven out of ten times he fails and whine about it.

not positive but think hes missed games with injury this year so projections might be higher if so. I think him batting 60 points higher than career avg stands out. wd think his risp avg has to be up too. regardless congrats to cuddy on a very good season so far and earning all star nod based on production rather default due to all star rules of one player from each team.

I seen someone earlier say he would be a good coach. bring him to the twins so he and gardy could play patty cake in the dugout!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Cuddy just signed a 20 million dollar 2-year contract for the Mets.

So, Cuddy goes to the Rockies and gets a 2013 batting title. Morneau goes there and gets a 2014 batting title.

What is it about the Twins' hitting coaches that results in them getting so little out of players that other teams seem to make very productive? He was batting like 280 career for the Twins, not terrible by any means but not great either. This trend of MN players doing better elsewhere started a LONG time ago (Ortiz? Ealier?). Will the promotion of Molitor change any of this?

I suppose to be fair Morneau did have a couple good years with the Twins, and his last few were maybe to injury-plagued to make much of a judgement on batting ability. Still seems like the hitting coaches on the Twins are leaving something on the table a lot of times.

Regardless of the Twins batting woes, Good for Michael for signing a multi year contract for millions more than the Rockies were offering, on a team who he thinks can win. The rockies had offered him $15.3 million for one season (which I thought was high), but no second season, which he is now guaranteed.